Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery issue  (Read 858 times)

Ditchburn12 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2008 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Re: Battery issue
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »

There's a slight chance that there is corrosion between the cable connectors and the battery terminals  despite the tight connections.

Rob.

Online Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
If I can get a battery does disconnecting the old one cause any issues with the imobiliser or is it just a simple swap?

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »
Batteries seem so variable in terms of service life now. Perhaps it's all down to the (presumably) huge electrical requirements of a modern bike and the need to keep the battery as small and light as possible?

The battery on my GTR was changed at 18 months old, due to similar problems to those described here. My Versys survived for the three years that I owned it, though that was probably due change by then too. My previous BMW (K1200RS) battery lasted for two years and then failed without warning.

By way of contrast, batteries on the "old" Honda Fours that I have owned seem to go on for ever, the last one was changed at eight years old as a precaution.

I understand that with most new bikes the battery is only guaranteed for one year from date of purchase, although other components are usually warranted for far longer. Perhaps the manufacturer's know something that we don't?

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
The satnav only pulls approx 0.25 amps.
Check your battery acid level as if it is low it will not charge / discharge properly. Sealed batteries still loose water over time.
Richard    :001:

Online Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »
So I managed to get a new battery. Fitted it and bike started fine. Ran it at tick over for a few minutes turned it off and on pressed start and it really struggled again to turn over. Whatever it is doesn’t seem to be the battery. Could the starter be sticking? Seems to be only When the engines been running.

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »
I own a BMW K1300 GT now (due to the need for lower pillion footrests - another story) and, from new, I understand that a good many of these had hot start issues. It appears that the engine would crank normally when cold, although when hot it would only turn over slowly. A wiring harness modification kit was brought out and seems to have cured the problem (mine has not exhibited any of these problems in my ownership, so I can't comment from experience).

My understanding is that the problem was two fold, apparently the ignition would stay too far advanced at times when the engine was switched off whilst hot, and the cabling in the starter circuit was not sufficiently heavy duty to cope with things.

Whilst I've not heard of such problems with the Versys, perhaps poor connections might give the same result?

Hope you resolve matters and are able to enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by flatfour [+]

My understanding is that the problem was two fold, apparently the ignition would stay too far advanced at times when the engine was switched off whilst hot, and the cabling in the starter circuit was not sufficiently heavy duty to cope with things.

My starter motor problem was caused by the wire to the starter fraying where it rubbed on a part of the engine/frame. Might be the cause of your trouble if the cable is part worn through and therefore thinner in cross section.
2015 Versys 1000- 89,000 miles, 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 6 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 11 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 4 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 10 washes and counting.

Offline Scarecrow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Prudhoe NE England
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
can you hear the fuel pump kicking in. I had similar problem that turned out to be a dodgy fuel pump relay
ended up doing a 1000 mil trip up to and around the top of Scotland with a small bit of plastic wedged between the relay connections

Online Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »
Whereabouts on the bike was the damaged starter wire? Would I be able to see it?

Online Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
Yes fuel pump kicks in fine. Starting first thing in the day or from cold so far is fine,it’s just after that the starter sounds really sluggish, like itrying to start a car with no charge. So far it has actually just started each time, so fingers crossed it will get me home. Huesca tomorrow for two nights then to Bilbao for a night and home. I’ve worked out it only needs to start 5 more times to get me to the ferry.

Recent Topics

waggish