Author Topic: MotoCam  (Read 543 times)

Offline jmason

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
MotoCam
on: September 01, 2019, 02:04:30 AM
I picked up a BlueSkySea DV688 from Amazon last week, and had a chance to install it yesterday. 

It is a pretty straightforward setup - the main unit goes under the seat (or on the handlebars, it is waterproof), one wired camera goes to the front of the bike, and the other goes to the rear.  There is also a controller that goes to the bars.  This has LED lights to tell you if the unit is recording, and if the battery in the unit is charging.    The power module gets connected to a Switched wire, and there is a ground wire.  That's it.  Here is how things look under the seat - I still need to clean up the wire routing (not my strong suit), and will probably use some velcro to keep the unit from sliding around.  I originally had the unit sitting next to the battery, but I think there may have been interference from all the electrical components in front of the battery, so I moved it.

The front camera was mounted to the bottom of the front beak - I used the 3M tape that comes with the kit.  For some reason, the mounting bracket is not quite flat on the bottom, so the tape doesn't work the best.  I added two small screws that came with the kit to help hold the camera in place (it's the plastic on the bottom of the beak, if I remove the camera, no one will ever see those two holes).

The back camera was just a little harder - there are no flat surfaces that are parallel to the ground or towards the back.  The panel right below brake light is close enough though, especially with the 130* FOV.

I made a short run after getting things wired today, you can see it here: 

https://youtu.be/SSWlaKTyqZw

I did snap a picture while on the ride (using a button on the controller on the bar).  It seems to be a decent quality.

I'll be taking a longer ride tomorrow and will post some more videos at highway speed on pavement.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: MotoCam
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 08:21:03 PM
Looks Good...
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:38:29 PM
Very neat    :37:     
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline nocny

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Ruda Slaska
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:47:55 PM
 :006: I am disappointed with the video quality. Can you share the raw recording,  maybe it's the fault of YT.

Offline jmason

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 07:32:05 PM
*Originally Posted by nocny [+]
:006: I am disappointed with the video quality. Can you share the raw recording,  maybe it's the fault of YT.

When I get home this evening, I'll post some shorter segments on my Google drive account. 

Offline jmason

• Versys Member
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 12:42:00 AM
Sorry for the delay.  I managed to leave the MicroSD card at the mountain place, so I edited a short video of my ride to work this morning, instead.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fs8V_Vsd27v3JA8itp7cwLzHSNeUanFe/view?usp=sharing

for my purposes, the video is 'decent'.  I need to check the settings on the camera to see if I can do anything to improve things, as well as try to cut down on the wind noise (Controller/Microphone is on the left bar next to the mirror stalk).  I could move it to the middle of the bars and see what that sounds like, but it will be harder to push the 'photo' button.

Let me know your thoughts!

Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:44:45 AM by jmason

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: F850GS -GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:34 PM
That's a tidy video - I would be happy with that quality.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:48:23 PM
*Originally Posted by jmason [+]
Sorry for the delay.  I managed to leave the MicroSD card at the mountain place, so I edited a short video of my ride to work this morning, instead.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fs8V_Vsd27v3JA8itp7cwLzHSNeUanFe/view?usp=sharing

for my purposes, the video is 'decent'.  I need to check the settings on the camera to see if I can do anything to improve things, as well as try to cut down on the wind noise (Controller/Microphone is on the left bar next to the mirror stalk).  I could move it to the middle of the bars and see what that sounds like, but it will be harder to push the 'photo' button.

Let me know your thoughts!

Something as simple as putting a small bit of tape over the microphone can work wonders.

Offline jmason

• Versys Member
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:03:16 PM
I will try that!!

waggish