Author Topic: Missing ponies retreived  (Read 682 times)

Offline vaso

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V1K MK1 160Hp
  • City / Town: Moscow
Missing ponies retreived
on: September 22, 2019, 06:05:52 PM
I highly respect all those who hold to the opinion that Versys 1000 has got just enough power and if you want more power you should get a different bike. So, this post is not for you save your eyes for something more interesting.
And for all the rest let me share some recent experience.
At the end of 2018 season I encountered with gearbox issue - jolts at the third gear.
I decided to trade the bike as is and go for a fresh Multistrada. I even found a buyer for my bike, but something stopped me, as trying all different bikes I could not find something that I wholly liked more than V1k.
So, I decided to keep my old friend and make it better in any way I could.
After disassembling the engine the reason was clear - worn out gear shift fork. But that was not the only problem - camshafts appeared to be pretty much worn out. My guess is that once I purchased something different pretending to be Motul...
So, too expensive to buy all the new stuff. I decided to buy some used engine from Japan and the first option was the one from z1000sx. Noboby was sure if it would fit... and I took the risk.
And very unusually ... the risk taken got rewarded! The engine has got all the same mounting points, the same connection of injection module to the cylinder head, all the same electric connections too.
Also, fitted complete Lextek exhaust system, and blocked pair valves.
When all was put together, having no big expectations i pushed the ignition button... it coughed couple times and ... started!
The stock Versys ECU seemed to mate well with the new engine with higher compression ratio, but there were loud shots when fast closing the throttle.
After reflashing ECU on dyno all the shots gone, the engine did well up to 12k rpm and the sound improved - it became kind of stable and confident.
And the dyno result was 157hp at 11,2k rpm and 115nm at 8,2k rpm (recalculated as on the crankshaft).
I was happy - I got engine not worse than BMW s1000xr in the bike I like most.
Pictures to follow.
Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:12:25 PM by vaso

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Missing ponies retreived
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:32 PM
 :759:   

The question regarding the suitability of a Z1000SX engine when fitted to the Versys1000 has been asked before, it seems that you have provided the  answer.....WELL DONE

I wonder if mother Kawasaki is reading your post, although I guess they already know that the mountings are the same, a relatively easy re - flash completes the package, your feedback regarding how the bike rides would be excellent

Pictures of your creation are anticipated    :169:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:50:36 AM
 :188:  Now that is exciting ............

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:20:16 AM
...V1K 160HP... :152: these are the things I like!

May I ask how much did you spend for the replacement engine?

Offline vaso

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:57:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
May I ask how much did you spend for the replacement engine?
Hi!
Including shipment from Japan I got it for about 1200Euro. It was in overall good condition with one cover scratched and with 23k kilometers mileage as stated by the seller. By the way, Japanese are well know for honest mileages)

Offline vaso

• Versys Member
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 11:17:42 AM
The point I need also to address is the gearbox. Z1000sx has got a different gearbox than Versys. They are interchangeable, but it requires some effort, so I left the one that came together with the new engine. And I left Versys 15/43 sorockets and that made the gearing even shorter than on Z1000sx originally. It gives really a nice push at acceleration, but on the other hand is a bit revvy on high cruise speeds like 160km/h at about 7k rpm.
I do not want to play with sprockets to make the gearing longer as it will result in 1st gear becoming not comfortable for slow riding. So, I keep enjoying it as it is. Theoretical top speed with current setup is something beyond 250km/h - have not tested it yet in pracitce)

Maybe somebody has got an idea on the compatibility of different alternative gears with Versys gearbox, as i also do not like original Versys gears and would take the chance to build something smoother if the building blocks are available...
Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:20:27 AM by vaso

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 12:29:39 PM
*Originally Posted by vaso [+]

Maybe somebody has got an idea on the compatibility of different alternative gears with Versys gearbox, as i also do not like original Versys gears and would take the chance to build something smoother if the building blocks are available...
vaso

I suggest you have a look at www.gearingcommander.com and load the Z1000SX gearing up and then play with the sprocket sizes front and rear to suit your needs  :027:
Richard    :001:

Offline vaso

• Versys Member
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 12:41:27 PM
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
vaso

I suggest you have a look at www.gearingcommander.com ...

Thanks! That site is already my desktop for couple years)
Again the game is not the final gearing - here you gain and lose at the same time.
The real game is with the gears in the gearbox - to build up a smooth line! But to play it you need alternative gears that suite...

Offline stillsteamn

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys1K, Kymco S250
  • City / Town: Bloomington, MN
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 03:23:12 PM
Way to go!  You were the pioneer to try this engine swap and now you have the fastest V1K on the planet.     :031:
Corbin seat, Puig windshield, windshield gps bracket, Tak-Lok throttle lock, Grip Puppies, Puig fender extender, Kawi 12V socket

Offline vaso

• Versys Member
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 03:50:59 PM
*Originally Posted by stillsteamn [+]
Way to go!  You were the pioneer to try this engine swap and now you have the fastest V1K on the planet.     :031:

This idea cheered me up in times of hesitations and gloomy thougts if the engine would fit)))