Author Topic: Denali Mini Soundbomb in stock position?  (Read 558 times)

Online Blue

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: UK
Denali Mini Soundbomb in stock position?
on: October 07, 2019, 11:29:09 PM
Hi - Has anyone managed to install a Denali Mini Soundbomb on a 2018 V1K in the same position as the stock horn? I tried offering it up into place, but it's too large to manipulate past the metalwork into the nose. Before I start removing the front end to gain full access, I'd like to know if it's actually going to fit. I did see a post from someone saying that they fitted one there, but it wasn't clear if it was a Mk1 or a Mk2.
Thanks

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Re: Denali Mini Soundbomb in stock position?
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:36:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Blue [+]
Hi - Has anyone managed to install a Denali Mini Soundbomb on a 2018 V1K in the same position as the stock horn? I tried offering it up into place, but it's too large to manipulate past the metalwork into the nose. Before I start removing the front end to gain full access, I'd like to know if it's actually going to fit. I did see a post from someone saying that they fitted one there, but it wasn't clear if it was a Mk1 or a Mk2.
Thanks
Blue

On my MK2 I tried to fit one there but it was too large. I exchanged it for a soundbomb split air horn.

I fitted the compressor in the recommended position on the left hand side and was able to fit the air horn sounder unit in the same place, up front as the OEM unit.

I willll get some pictures for you over next couple of ays if you want  :031:
Richard    :001:

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:49:31 AM
The mini Soundbomb seems very similar in shape to the FIAMM AM80S. If it is so then it fits unless you have mounted the oem fog lights bracket. With that bracket mounted you have room only for a smaller horn. A PIAA Slim Horn for example.
In any case, dual tone horns are designed to work in pairs (high and low tone). Mounting only one tone you'll likely obtain a weaker sound compared to the oem horn.

Online Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 10:36:12 AM
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Blue

On my MK2 I tried to fit one there but it was too large. I exchanged it for a soundbomb split air horn.

I fitted the compressor in the recommended position on the left hand side and was able to fit the air horn sounder unit in the same place, up front as the OEM unit.

I willll get some pictures for you over next couple of ays if you want  :031:

Thanks for that, it would have been frustrating to remove the front end only to find it didn't fit. I'll have to look for somewhere else to mount it.

*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
The mini Soundbomb seems very similar in shape to the FIAMM AM80S. If it is so then it fits unless you have mounted the oem fog lights bracket. With that bracket mounted you have room only for a smaller horn. A PIAA Slim Horn for example.
In any case, dual tone horns are designed to work in pairs (high and low tone). Mounting only one tone you'll likely obtain a weaker sound compared to the oem horn.

I do have the oem fogs, but I don't think these encroach into the upper cowling, where the stock horn is located on the Mk2. The Denali light bar appears to have a bar that joins the left and right hand brackets, and this passes through the upper cowling, but the oem brackets don't seem to have this. According to the specs, the mini soundbomb is supposed to be twice as loud as the stock horn, but testing on the bench it is only marginally louder. The tone is much better than the anaemic stock horn though, and more likely to get attention - volume and sound-wise it is similar to a standard car horn. I don't really want to go nuclear with an air horn which can sometimes pee people off, and also require a relay etc.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:25:53 PM
This is a PIAA Slim Horn, which is far thinner than Denali mini (1.7" vs 2.5") installed on my Mk2.
As you can see the space between the front frame and the lights bracket is just enough.
Regarding the sound...your choice.
I installed the second horn under the left fairing without any problem.

Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:28:31 PM by Vespista1960

Online Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 02:07:55 PM
Thanks for that. The photo is especially useful.

Offline Arcwn

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: V1K, KLR650, FXDC
  • City / Town: North Dakota
Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:34:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Blue [+]
Thanks
Yes it does fit. 
I mounted it with the front end off while I was installing power outlets and aux lights. 
Very little room, install with horn bell facing to the right and back.
2018 Mk2 with the new style Denali light bracket.
I could try and get pics if wanted.

Online Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 06:42:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Arcwn [+]
Yes it does fit. 
I mounted it with the front end off while I was installing power outlets and aux lights. 
Very little room, install with horn bell facing to the right and back.
2018 Mk2 with the new style Denali light bracket.
I could try and get pics if wanted.

Thanks Arcwn, that sounds promising. Pictures would be great, if not too much trouble.

Offline goaters

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 '16
  • City / Town: Rendlesham
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 10:30:20 PM
I have a Denali mini soundbomb mounted in the original position on my 2016 Mk2. I had to use the bracket that came with the horn and bent it slightly, so now it points down and to the front. I was worried that it might catch water but it has been through several downpours and is still working 3 years later.

Offline Arcwn

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: V1K, KLR650, FXDC
  • City / Town: North Dakota
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 02:37:53 AM
Tight fit.
Horn is touching the Denali light bracket, so I added some self adhesive foam rubber to avoid any buzzing. If you are running the Kawasaki lights, it may not fit.
Clears both fork legs by 5-6mm at full lock.

waggish