Author Topic: 7500 mile service costs....how much!?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Re: 7500 mile service costs....how much!?
Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 01:15:48 PM

The time consuming part of any under tank servicing on the V1K is getting all the plastic off and back on again. Under 4 hours start to finish to do a tbs, change the plugs and check the air filter is very good going imo, especially first time.

Rob.

Offline tall-mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wellton, AZ. USA
Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 07:03:40 PM
Make sure and tell them you want all the used parts they supposedly replaced...can you tell, I really don't have a lot of trust in them

Offline biker1

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: edmonton
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 01:26:10 AM
Did you take it in for the 600 mile service? If no, did you find any bolts loose?

Offline Vern

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 KLV 1000
  • City / Town: Widnes
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 08:32:51 AM
I'm just a sceptic, why would iridium spark plugs only last 7500 miles, when in cars they are use for 20 thou+ miles?

Judging by Kawasaki servicing costs it, is simply to make money!

My Versys is at 19000 miles, and like others I do my own servicing which is an oil/ filter change brake clean and a good visual/ spanner check that nothing has loosened off, usually around 4000 miles, with a fresh air filter every 2nd service.

But, as it's winter here in the UK it allows time for a major service including the valve check, and whilst I'm in there I will change the plugs as they are removed during this servicing.

The bike runs a treat, and the only other service item I have changed is the front sprocket at 12000 miles as it was slightly hooked causing the chain to make a little noise.

Vern
Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:34:23 AM by Vern

Offline Arizonapackrat

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 versy
  • City / Town: Tucson
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:26:02 AM
Only 5K+ on my used 2016. Have put 2K on it myself. Planning a camping trip from Tucson to Denver and back. All secondary roads. Changed oil and filter already and service chain regularly. Probably replace the tires, fixed rear after a nasty mesquite thorn. Looks as radiator clamps have been replaced. Was a locally sold bike and no problems so far. Just wondering what I should service and any parts I should squirrel away for the ride. Also any travel suggestions for Colorado and New Mexico would always be appreciated. Oh, not making this trip until late May, really hate the cold
1967 150cc Honda Dream (a nightmare to look at).                        1972 450cc Honda Scrambler Moved to AZ on that one.                1976 650 cc Triumph Tiger, crashed.                                        1980ish Honda Silver Wing.                                                     1984 Harley Shovelhead HD means hundreds of dollars.            2016 Kawasaki 1000 cc Versy

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 10:32:57 AM
Don't think you have to do anything with so few miles, except the tires.  BTW - it's cold in the Rockies in May

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 02:53:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Arizonapackrat [+]
. Also any travel suggestions for Colorado and New Mexico would always be appreciated. Oh, not making this trip until late May, really hate the cold
   Late may it is still cold in the mountains and some higher passes may still be closed. Such as Trail Ridge. Also it has been know to snow in May. Buddy of mine and I got caught in a snow storm over Wolf Creek Pass in late May a few years ago. Had to leave the bikes and hitch Hike back down the mountain until later in the day.  Just keep an eye on CDOT road conditions and weather
Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:55:47 PM by chucksklrst
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)

Offline Arizonapackrat

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 versy
  • City / Town: Tucson
late May in Colorado
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 03:07:59 AM
Looks a bit nippy. Trying to avoid Arizona heat in June/July. Also work slows down then. Is this a typical occurrence in Colorado? Almighty Google sets temps in the 60's during late May. Also want to avoid the massive amounts of turistos. Ain't nothin like a tour bus to ruin a day
1967 150cc Honda Dream (a nightmare to look at).                        1972 450cc Honda Scrambler Moved to AZ on that one.                1976 650 cc Triumph Tiger, crashed.                                        1980ish Honda Silver Wing.                                                     1984 Harley Shovelhead HD means hundreds of dollars.            2016 Kawasaki 1000 cc Versy

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Re: late May in Colorado
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 10:39:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Arizonapackrat [+]
Is this a typical occurrence in Colorado? Almighty Google sets temps in the 60's during late May. Also want to avoid the massive amounts of turistos. Ain't nothin like a tour bus to ruin a day

Snow can hit in the high country any time through the end of May, and even later.  However, that doesn't happen every single year and most of those storms are short-lived affairs and are usually restricted to the higher elevation levels and high mountain passes.  Generally, the weather service is pretty good about projecting the potential storms 1 - 2 days out.  That doesn't mean there might be cold rains at lower elevations.

If you are going all backroads, you cannot avoid Red Mountain Pass or Wolf Creek, plus a couple others depending on your route.  If you are on a tight schedule, you may end up trying to beat mother nature.  Otherwise, you might have to take an extra day or two for the weather to clear up.

Offline chachi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Re: late May in Colorado
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 12:09:18 AM
*Originally Posted by jmason [+]
Snow can hit in the high country any time through the end of May, and even later.

If you are going all backroads, you cannot avoid Red Mountain Pass or Wolf Creek, plus a couple others depending on your route.

I was riding on Wolf Creek last summer around the middle of June and experienced 35 degrees with hail and then snow at the summit. It was 80 degrees at the bottom of Wolf Creek just minutes earlier. I remember it well as the bicycle race called RAAM was going on at the same time. These guys will bicycle from coast to coast almost non-stop.

:goggle:

waggish