Author Topic: Bike drifts to the right  (Read 505 times)

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
Bike drifts to the right
on: October 16, 2019, 05:23:41 PM
The other day when I was riding I noticed that when I let go of the handle bars the bike always drifts to the right. I propped it up on the center stand at home and took weight off the front and it did the same thing. My first thought is the head bearing but the movement from left to right is smooth and I dont feel any slack when trying to move the forks.  The other thought it that the cables might be pulling on it but everything seems to move freely and I dont see anything pulling or putting tension on the forks....thoughts?

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Re: Bike drifts to the right
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:58:50 PM
Camber of the road. My bike drifts to the left on most roads as we drive on the left here.
2015 Versys 1000- 94,000 miles, 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 7 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 11 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 3 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 10 washes and counting.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
Camber of the road. My bike drifts to the left on most roads as we drive on the left here.

That would be my thoughts too   :169:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:19:39 PM
It did it on the stand as well guys.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:26:01 PM
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]

What do you mean it did it on the stand? as far as it tracking a bit to the right while riding, check the rear tire alignment.....you need a chain alignment  tool to make sure its straight .. dont use the supplied chain adjusters as they are notoriously inaccurate.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:00:29 AM
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]

You mean the handle bars turn right by itself when on the centre stand? If sow, check if no wiring or hoses are stuck and pull on the bar.

While riding, normal I would say, curb of the road, wind, the way you sit on the bike. Most of us on not as straight as we think. Look at other bikers and you will notice they are rarely 100% sitting straight and in line with the bike.

Best advice, don't let go the bars,  :745:

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 07:09:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Le ptit Quebec [+]
You mean the handle bars turn right by itself when on the centre stand? If sow, check if no wiring or hoses are stuck and pull on the bar.

While riding, normal I would say, curb of the road, wind, the way you sit on the bike. Most of us on not as straight as we think. Look at other bikers and you will notice they are rarely 100% sitting straight and in line with the bike.

Best advice, don't let go the bars,  :745:
+ 1
The static test on the stand does not prove anything.

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 05:41:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
What do you mean it did it on the stand? as far as it tracking a bit to the right while riding, check the rear tire alignment.....you need a chain alignment  tool to make sure its straight .. dont use the supplied chain adjusters as they are notoriously inaccurate.

I put the bike on the center stand and put weight on the rear to lift up the front to check the head bearings (slack or catching) and when I center it and let go of the bars, it pulls right (I realize that the ground could potentially not be level causing this as well though). The rear tire is aligned properly using a chain adjustment tool. Yeah those measuring marks are off by quite a bit on the swing arm!

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 06:35:16 PM
I doubt your test will provide good results, such I doubt the handel bars are balance to the oz,

Speed will keep the wheel in line with where you want to go, than pressure you will apply than the way you position youselh, than the pilion, than...........

Offline Ben

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 V1K
  • City / Town: N/E of France
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 07:47:31 PM
I agree, center stand test is not valid. When whell is turning, the force needed to make it turn becomes very high.

I had this problem with my fomer tyres. The front was more worn on one side than another. it disappeared when I changed tyres.

But again, a slight road camber or light wind, or even a bad sitting position on the bike can make it deviate to one side when hands off.

Ben