Author Topic: Heated body warmer  (Read 2015 times)

Offline bradr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Heated body warmer
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 01:13:33 AM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I've never used heated clothing other than 12v Gerbing gloves which are very effective,  however I  do find all the cables to be a bit of a PITA

I think that you find the cables a PITA because you are using gloves without the jacket.  The jacket only has a cable that goes from the bottom of the jacket to the bike.  If you get a jacket from Gerbing or Warm and Safe they have electrical plugs on the ends of the sleeves (they stash in the sleeves if not used) that plug into your gloves so there is no need to have wires running inside the sleeves of your jackets anymore.  You may also find that with a warm enough heated jacket that your hands don't get as cold anymore as your core is warm.

*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
As I get older, the need for some heated clothing will become greater, so I'll have to consider what is available, I'm reluctant to have wires and cables attaching me to my bike unless someone can convince me otherwise   :notsure:   

I have my bike connector come out where the tank and seat meet on the left side of the bike.  I can get on and off the bike without worry about unplugging or stretching the wire and it stashes nicely between the tank and seat when not in use.  When you forget you're plugged in and walk away from the bike (I always do) the connector just comes disconnected.

I have the connector for my wife's jacket come out on the left side of the pillion, she perfers it halfway to the back though so it runs over her leg.  For the passenger it stashes neatly on the rear when not in use.

Eventually the rubber seals do break off with use but they're not really needed if you use some di-electric grease on the connectors and install a relay to keep them off when the bike is not running.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:43 AM
I don't see the need to mess with cables and batteries.
In my experience, with two layers of wool, a good jacket well closed on the neck and mittens on the handlebars, you'll never be cold in the upper part of the body  :002:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
In my experience, with two layers of wool, a good jacket well closed on the neck and mittens on the handlebars, you'll never be cold in the upper part of the body  :002:

Fair point Vespista   :028: 

I have used high quality walking 'base layers' for several years but even they  don't keep out the worst of the cold so it may be that a heated jacket is the way to go for me

This one looks good albeit pricey

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/gerbing-basic-heated-jacket-liner.html?utm_source=google_shopping&133=6&aid=30273&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fCu3tiW5gIVh6ztCh1csAKBEAQYASABEgIlqPD_BwE   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 05:11:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
We bought Gerbing gloves last year and they've been a revelation. They don't so much keep your hands warm as stop them getting cold in the first place. I know that sounds nonsensical but what I mean is that it doesn't need a lot of heat to be comfortable and if we start a ride with them on 50% or less they keep us happy down to freezing, with two more settings still available. That's keeping both of us warm but using less current than the Oxford heated grips on my old Versys, which always needed 75%+ to be effective and leaving Ruth, literally, in the cold.

Rog is right that the cables are a PITA. I have one cable from the battery that comes out by my left knee. If we ride together we use a splitter cable. Counter-intuitively, we find it works better if the cables run under my left leg. We tried the more obvious route over my thigh but, although it seemed to have plenty of spare cable, when I put my foot down and back on the peg I almost always pulled the cable out.

Since we bought the gloves we've felt less need for a heated gilet or similar. Yes, we ride in lots of layers, as we always have, but it seems that the gloves reduce the amount of chilled blood our bodies are having to deal with. We do feel the cold more these days - I'm 67 and Ruth's 68 - so we're aware of the need to keep it at bay. The issue I have with a heated liner, which we'd need two of of course, is that the Versys only has 40W of spare capacity. That could soon be taken up.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green/Metallic Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 07:22:50 PM
 :762:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 07:53:03 PM
Having been riding for a number of years with heated gloves and then with a heated under jacket, I found that my hand were keeping warm enough with just the jacket switched on. :028:

This is because if you keep your core body temp high the body then flows lots of warm blood to the extremities to cool down  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 08:34:02 PM
 :762:

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 09:29:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Rockdoc [+]
The issue I have with a heated liner, which we'd need two of of course, is that the Versys only has 40W of spare capacity. That could soon be taken up.

Keith
Keith

The V1k Mk2 alternator output is 29.1 A at 14V @ 5000 rpm = just over 400 Watts and I don't think they would have decreased its output on the Mk3
Normally for running a bike is taking about 250W, so there should be ~150W going spare.

To check use a plugin Voltmeter to check what the voltage stabilises at when you are running normally ( approx 14.2 Volts )
Then as you add load, note what the Voltage does - When it starts dropping by ~0.5V you are then at the limit of you safe max loading  :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 05:59:50 AM
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Keith

The V1k Mk2 alternator output is 29.1 A at 14V @ 5000 rpm = just over 400 Watts and I don't think they would have decreased its output on the Mk3
Normally for running a bike is taking about 250W, so there should be ~150W going spare.
I read the 40W figure somewhere for the Mark 3. It could be that all the extra gadgetry on the SE takes away a chunk of it but I don't know its consumption. This bike has extra lights, too, of course. I have no idea what the draw for an LED headlamp bulb is but you now have two on all the time and bring two more in for main beam, which is twice the number on a Mark 2. If the current needed is anywhere near that of a halogen bulb and 100W of your 150W has gone just there. Add in the cornering lights and that 40W figure could be correct at peak load because Kawasaki didn't change the alternator.
To check use a plugin Voltmeter to check what the voltage stabilises at when you are running normally ( approx 14.2 Volts )
Then as you add load, note what the Voltage does - When it starts dropping by ~0.5V you are then at the limit of you safe max loading  :028:
One of the nice features of the new dash is that it can show you the battery voltage in real time.

Keith

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:14:06 AM
My daughter (who really doesn't like the cold) has used a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves for a few years now, with great success. She powers it from the battery pack that is sold as an accessory and has no complaints about its effectiveness or battery life.

Last year when we were in Scotland on the bikes with my brother (who moved to the Highlands on retirement 18 months ago) she persuaded him to buy the same and he has ridden further into winter this time around than when he lived in the milder climate of Herefordshire in the past.