Author Topic: Heated body warmer  (Read 592 times)

Offline bradr

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: Heated body warmer
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 01:13:33 AM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I've never used heated clothing other than 12v Gerbing gloves which are very effective,  however I  do find all the cables to be a bit of a PITA

I think that you find the cables a PITA because you are using gloves without the jacket.  The jacket only has a cable that goes from the bottom of the jacket to the bike.  If you get a jacket from Gerbing or Warm and Safe they have electrical plugs on the ends of the sleeves (they stash in the sleeves if not used) that plug into your gloves so there is no need to have wires running inside the sleeves of your jackets anymore.  You may also find that with a warm enough heated jacket that your hands don't get as cold anymore as your core is warm.

*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
As I get older, the need for some heated clothing will become greater, so I'll have to consider what is available, I'm reluctant to have wires and cables attaching me to my bike unless someone can convince me otherwise   :notsure:   

I have my bike connector come out where the tank and seat meet on the left side of the bike.  I can get on and off the bike without worry about unplugging or stretching the wire and it stashes nicely between the tank and seat when not in use.  When you forget you're plugged in and walk away from the bike (I always do) the connector just comes disconnected.

I have the connector for my wife's jacket come out on the left side of the pillion, she perfers it halfway to the back though so it runs over her leg.  For the passenger it stashes neatly on the rear when not in use.

Eventually the rubber seals do break off with use but they're not really needed if you use some di-electric grease on the connectors and install a relay to keep them off when the bike is not running.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:43 AM
I don't see the need to mess with cables and batteries.
In my experience, with two layers of wool, a good jacket well closed on the neck and mittens on the handlebars, you'll never be cold in the upper part of the body  :002:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
I don't see the need to mess with cables and batteries.
In my experience, with two layers of wool, a good jacket well closed on the neck and mittens on the handlebars, you'll never be cold in the upper part of the body  :002:

Fair point Vespista   :028: 

I have used high quality walking 'base layers' for several years but even they  don't keep out the worst of the cold so it may be that a heated jacket is the way to go for me

This one looks good albeit pricey

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/gerbing-basic-heated-jacket-liner.html?utm_source=google_shopping&133=6&aid=30273&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fCu3tiW5gIVh6ztCh1csAKBEAQYASABEgIlqPD_BwE   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

waggish