Author 2019 headlights beam  (Read 16117 times)

• Online Kryton 2   england

• Versys Pro  ‐    91
    • Topic Author

Online Kryton 2

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2022 Versys 1000
    • City / Town: Brighton
    2019 headlights beam
    on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:47 am
    November 10, 2019, 08:35:47 am
    I've noticed ever since i've picked my new bike up in the summer, that the wonderful new headlights have been causing issues.... to other drivers. To be fair i've not really noticed any issues, until the clocks changed. I use my bike for commuting, and since i now drive home in the dark, been getting a number of drivers flashing me, thinking i have the main beam on. I've also noticed i'm not seeing the road illuminated much either, but i think i have been lighting up the moon regularly, or so it seems.

Now i've only just had the first service done on my bike, not been riding much due to health issues, but back in the saddle atm. I mentioned the lighting issue at my dealership when i took the bike in, and the mechanic decided to have a look at the light setting with me sitting on the bike, especially as i'm bit of an fb, so makes sense i'm sitting on the bike while he adjusted the lights.

It would seem i was correct, the lights were really badly out, practically pointing to the sky. Had to lower both sides considerably, but now, what a difference. Two major important changes have now occurred. Firstly, i can now see the road illuminated in front of me, and i have to say, what a difference the LED lights make, once adjusted properly. So clear it's like daylight, wonderful. Secondly, i'm not blinding other drivers, which is obviously a plus.

The moral of this little story, go check to see if you're lights are adjusted properly. Certainly mine weren't and i have to assume others have the same issues, probably don't realise it. Remember it's not about blinding other drivers just to be seen, your lights on the new model are bright enough anyway, especially at night.

• Offline V-Coaster   ca

• Versys Master  ‐    639

Offline V-Coaster

• Versys Master
    • Bike: 19 1000 LT SE "Orca"
    • City / Town: Vancouver
    Re: 2019 headlights beam
    Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:11 pm
    November 10, 2019, 03:03:11 pm
    Good reminder K2
    I never ride at night so never think of checking headlight aiming.
    These lights are great though. Every bike I've had in the past I have added aux leds  for visibility to other drivers but this one I don't need to as they are so nice and bright.
    2019 V1K LT SE     current
    2016  KTM1190 Adv  gone
    2013  Versys 1000   gone
    2017  Honda CRF250L Rally  in another province for fun

• Offline Vespista1960   it

• Versys Master  ‐    925

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
    • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
    • City / Town: Milano
    Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:31:32 pm
    November 10, 2019, 03:31:32 pm
    It's strange. Mine also was badly adjusted when new. It enlightened the top of trees on the border of the road.
    What do they think at the factory?
    I discovered that the headlight adjustment on my19 is even more uncomfortable than it was on my15 :013:

• Offline 9094   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    281

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
    • City / Town: Kansas City
    Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 03:57:16 pm
    November 10, 2019, 03:57:16 pm
    Agree everyone should get their lights aligned. Literally can be night and day difference. My Versys isn't bad, However I do need to tweak them since adding the lowering link. Too high now. I did re-aim the spots after. The last several Japanese machines I've bought ALL had the high beams hitting the road about 60(?) ft. out,  As did my Celica. They were not safe to drive at night. 25 mph was scary. I'd tried the brighter, more expensive bulbs, no help, and after a proper alignment they were almost too bright. I suspect the dealers around here never even check the alignment.

My method for doing it yourself is to find a dark, flat, straight country road, preferably with trees or tall weeds down each side, (or possibly a nice long flat alley with no lights in an industrial district) sit on the bike in your lane, normal spot and have an assistant (preferably) tweak the adjustments so the bright spot from each beam is centered in your lane (or just barely overlapping each other side-to-side in a car or dual-light setup) and as far down the road as possible without lifting the bright spot off the road surface. Amazing difference, and no one ever flashes me. And rarely get flashed when left on hi. Can help to unplug the other lights and do 1 at a time on a car or bike with dual/quad lights. And you will get a LOT more exercise doing it by yourself and climbing on and off a couple dozen times or more.

Shop I used to go to did headlight alignment, charged something like $75, but he would put the car with you in it on his lazer-leveled, perfectly flat wheel alignment machine and then dial the lights in perfectly. Too bad he retired and no one took over his shop.

• Offline Huckleberry   us

• Versys Pro  ‐    185

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2016 V1
    • City / Town: Portland, OR
    Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 04:10:40 pm
    November 10, 2019, 04:10:40 pm
    Couldn't agree more about the value of checking light alignment.  Last couple bikes I've bought were almost comical where they were pointing.  Pretty sure the the inspectors confirm they light up, not where they light up.
    I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

• Offline TYKE   gb

• Versys Mega God  ‐    11230

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
    • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
    • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
    Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:37:35 pm
    November 10, 2019, 04:37:35 pm
    Very good posting.. I will check mine by using the back of my garage door

However I don't ride at night so I can assume that they are correct as other oncoming drivers haven't ever complained

My dealer is extremely particular (Kawasaki Elite Dealership) and has extremely high standards, so I presume that mine were adjusted correctly when the bike was PDI'd   
    KNOW FROM WHENCE YOU CAME ........

• Online Kryton 2   england

• Versys Pro  ‐    91
    • Topic Author

Online Kryton 2

• Versys Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2022 Versys 1000
    • City / Town: Brighton
    Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 04:39:25 pm
    November 10, 2019, 04:39:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by V-Coaster [+]
    Good reminder K2

K2... like it :152: :745:

• Offline thebakinator   us

• Versys Member  ‐    15

Offline thebakinator

• Versys Member
    • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
    • City / Town: New Palestine
    Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 05:55:18 pm
    November 10, 2019, 05:55:18 pm
    I had the very same problem with my 2019.  I never felt that I could see and oncoming drivers would flash their headlights at me.  Everyone kept telling me how awesome these LED headlights are, but my experience was terrible.  I ended up adjusting them and now they are great! 

Dave

• Offline stlee29   my

• Versys God  ‐    1730

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
    • Good rides.....
    • Bike: V1K Mk3 2019
    • City / Town: Penang
    Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 04:29:25 am
    November 12, 2019, 04:29:25 am
     :762:  TQ
    This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

• Offline PhillH   gb

• Versys Pro  ‐    124

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
    • Bike: 2019 SE 1000GT
    • City / Town: Chester
    Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:58 am
    November 12, 2019, 09:54:58 am
    I also had mine adjusted at the first service - massive improvement but I still get flashed at night as they remain too high despite being on the lowest setting.

waggish