Author Topic: 2019 headlights beam  (Read 7643 times)

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K Mk3 2019
  • City / Town: Penang
Re: 2019 headlights beam
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:45 AM

Same steps for the 2nd gen V1K. Should be same for the 3rd V1K 2019 model.
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline Versys1000gaz

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: northampton
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 06:36:46 PM
I had mine adjusted at the 1st service,the mechanic told me he had adjusted them BELOW the height needed for an MOT,so i went out in the dark again,this time the dipped beam was instead of being at the top of road signs was now at the bottom which was about the same as the top of a car windscreen so i was getting flashed by everybody,so got home pushed the bike 20yds back from the garage door and the beam was half way up so now have adjusted them down to 2ft up the door will see how this is, better be it now as im getting really pissed off with it.Kawasaki can make good lights the one's on my zzr1400 were brilliant and they never needed adjusting,think i might have to buy some spotlights because if i ever get them adjusted right they don't look that bright.Maybe to oncoming cars they are but not for the rider.
Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:41:32 PM by Versys1000gaz

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 07:29:17 PM
LED lights on the latest models may be a contributing factor  :notsure:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline 190 Octane

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Houston
Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 05:00:12 AM
I finally adjusted my headlights, it made a big improvement.  My high beam was up in the tree tops, it really didn't even hit the road before.  Now it hits the street about 40 feet in front of me. 

I adjusted the height going by the owner manual.  I taped off a line on one wall of the garage a couple inches lower than the mid point of my lights, then marked of a spot on the floor 25 feet away.  I went for a test ride and didn't get flashed, even when I had the brights on. 

I only remember getting flashed once or twice before the adjustment.  I think the lights were shining over the cars before.
2K19 V1K "Estrada"
2K15 V1K "Rooster" - Gone
02 Moto Guzzi Stone

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 08:04:00 AM
I used to use the back of the car -  I go out at night - pull up behind the car as if in a traffic queue and check they are below the rear view mirror. I then spin round and point down the road and jump up and down on the bike to check them. Having done this numerous times I have a piece of tape on the rear of the garage door so I can set every bike the same.

I must admit most of them are too high as standard. The only thing I find with the Versys compared to other bikes is that I can only adjust them while crouching beside the bike and reaching up using a 12mm (I think) socket on a small 1/4 inch drive, rather than on the bike with a stubby screwdriver as most allow. It is still easy though and better than some.

I have had the front fairing off numerous times (sidelight bulb replacement / spot light fitting / led conversion) and each time it goes back together the beam alters slightly. Not as bad as my old Faser 1000 which had such a loose adjuster and knackered springs that the beam would lower itself over every bump until it reached rock bottom which was pointing at the hedgehog in front of the mudguard  :008:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline Geek755

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Orlando
Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 12:42:31 PM
Awesome thread!  Knowing the headlight wasn’t properly adjusted to begin with, when I picked up my 2020 SE LT, I had the shop mechanic adjust it with me sitting on the bike when I picked up the bike at the dealer.  They thought I was nuts until the saw where the cut off point was on a wall 25ft away.  Then they just shut up and adjusted it....they were skeptical initially and didn’t want to do anything saying it was “probably just fine”.  I had to be a little demanding, but in the end it all worked out.

THANKS OP for posting this and to all those who replied and even documented the adjustment process!

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
*Originally Posted by 190 Octane [+]
I finally adjusted my headlights, it made a big improvement.  My high beam was up in the tree tops, it really didn't even hit the road before.  Now it hits the street about 40 feet in front of me. 

I adjusted the height going by the owner manual.  I taped off a line on one wall of the garage a couple inches lower than the mid point of my lights, then marked of a spot on the floor 25 feet away.  I went for a test ride and didn't get flashed, even when I had the brights on. 

I only remember getting flashed once or twice before the adjustment.  I think the lights were shining over the cars before.

Hi on the ground 40 ft out is way too low. That gives you about a half second or less reaction time.

I find a long straight flat road and set the high beam to where the bright spot is as far down the road as possible without lifting the spot off the road. Makes a world of difference in what you can see. An assistant prevents a lot of climbing on and off... Trees or weeds along both sides will help with centering it, Set the low beam a bit lower, though it's shielded more.

Offline TSloper

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Sorrento, FL
Reply #27 on: July 25, 2020, 07:41:52 PM
Agreed. Too low. Mathematically the high beam center should extend over 400 hundred feet before intersecting the road if adjusted to spec.

*Originally Posted by 9094 [+]
Hi on the ground 40 ft out is way too low. That gives you about a half second or less reaction time.

I find a long straight flat road and set the high beam to where the bright spot is as far down the road as possible without lifting the spot off the road. Makes a world of difference in what you can see. An assistant prevents a lot of climbing on and off... Trees or weeds along both sides will help with centering it, Set the low beam a bit lower, though it's shielded more.

Offline 190 Octane

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Houston
Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 05:55:13 PM
Yes, I may have them a again.  I think it's actually further out than 40 feet, but they can come up a little.  I am at least getting lights on the pavement not and not up in the trees.
2K19 V1K "Estrada"
2K15 V1K "Rooster" - Gone
02 Moto Guzzi Stone

Offline TSloper

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Sorrento, FL
Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:50 PM
*Originally Posted by 190 Octane [+]
Yes, I may have them a again.  I think it's actually further out than 40 feet, but they can come up a little.  I am at least getting lights on the pavement not and not up in the trees.

Just have them follow the owner's manual and they will be spot on for you. I didn't have anyone to help so I had to jump through some hoops to get the proper height of the headlight centers but after that it was very easy.

waggish