Author Topic: Question About Soupy's Lowering Link  (Read 340 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Question About Soupy's Lowering Link
on: November 26, 2019, 02:15:48 AM
I've emailed Soupy's but can't seem to get a response.

My question is: How much does the link need to be extended from stock length to achieve the 1.25 - 1.5 inch drop I'd like to see?

I understand the fitting and adjusting process...I'd just like to know the difference in length.

Thanks
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
Re: Question About Soupy's Lowering Link
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:35:33 AM
I considered getting those adjstable links but I read about one (or two?) that broke while riding. This mishap being something I don't have on my todo list, I got machined plates instead.  Adjustable is nice but not at any cost...

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:30:02 AM
Just a reminder -  whichever links you get, don't forget to lower the sidestand.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 12:32:55 PM
1.25 - 1.5 inch seems to me a lot. The behavior of the bike will be quite affected.
I do not want to discuss anyone's choices, but if one is not comfortable with a motorcycle it is not better to look for a model with different characteristics rather than experiment with potentially dangerous messes?

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:57:17 PM
 I don't have a measurement, but It's not all that much longer. There are linkages and leverages involved. 

How many miles on the bike? I installed my link at around 1300 miles and adjusted so I was flat-footed, had to re-adjust it to raise the bike back up some around 3500 miles as I think the spring settled in and I was dragging my toes on the tighter turns, Going to raise it again as I'm back to flat-footed with knees bent at 4600 miles. Drug my toe again yesterday,,,   32" inseam, stock seat.

Don't get rid of the stock plate or the stock link whichever way you go. I do not regret doing it as I am much more confidant at the lower speeds and in parking lots etc with it lowered.,,,  You will also need to re-adjust your headlight.

Did not notice any adverse handling issues. however, I came from Cruiser type motorcycles, so,,,

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 06:38:23 PM
Thank you one and all for your replies, they are much appreciated. The bike is too high for me to flat-foot and this causes problems at times. The Versys 1000 is NOT an "adventure bike" and is not meant to be taken off road, so it is a bit of a mystery to me why KAW designed to to be as tall as it is, making it awkward for so many potential riders. But that IS the trend. The "experimentation" has already been done and it's well established that lowering the Versys by common methods is both safe and effective, otherwise I wouldn't consider doing it. As for buying another bike: go ahead and send me a check and I'll go shopping :756:

Yes, I've read of a couple of instances of failures with Soupy's link. Of course it's unknown whether or not the installations were proper, but the potential is there for failure. Not good! their rod/shaft is only 1/2 inch and that seems a bit undersized to me. I believe I'll DIY my own link, which will be much stronger, although not "in-place" adjustable. I don't have the left hand taps and dies which are required for that, and they're expensive for a one-time use. It will be adjustable, but one end will need to be disconnected to change the length. Not as convenient, but safety trumps convenience. I will also raise the fork tubes and level the bike.

I could buy a Motowerk kit, or DIY some plates...but the variable length tie rod (link) is a more interesting project, and the adjustability is a plus in my opinion. I'm guessing I'll be happy with a drop of around 1.25" but I know a guy with a V1k lowered with Motowerk plates to 1.5" and I'll try his out for further information before proceeding.

Well, I hope Y'all have a fantastic Thanksgiving (for those who celebrate it), and that the rest of you just have a fantastic week!
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.