Author Topic: First Long Ride - Utah: Tips, tricks and helpful ideas?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline chachi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Re: First Long Ride - Utah: Tips, tricks and helpful ideas?
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:42 PM
Here are my route suggestions for riding in the area. I like to hike, so I might spend a day or so in Grand Canyon (with plenty of water!).

image no longer available

Offline JEF.FREE.Ryder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:16 PM
AMAZING TRIP   AWAITS   :008:     

The only thing we cant help you with is more time. Another 1 or 2 days to enjoy.
 The Wife and I Love our long distance trips.
Ill share a few of my trick's and reminders.

Early Summer  for Me Means ALOT OF BUG'S.   cleaning Visor windscreen and bike head lights Alot
Of Course they are really going to start BUGGING on your hikes/ look out's.  Prepare for these bastards.

Hydration  - I Tie a BIG Jug of drinking water to the back. Forcing myself to drink at
                    every-stop. I have ran out of water before.  To stay cool i have soaked a bandana / head wrap. TieD it to my head than put my helemt on. Woohoo so refreshing.  :029:

POWERFUL SUN -    A Strong Face Sunscreen. Keep a layer on. This also gets applied to 
 back of my neck.  Wrist's  ANY Exposed Skin. IMHO + Skin type this is mandatory for long sunny trips.

The Versys Handles Fine  on dirt + Service roads. IF you take your time you will be fine.
Unless there is MUD  than your loosing all of your traction on these street tires.   

Alot of Rural Gas Stations  Closer early   like by 5:00 or sometimes ; 9:00pm 
Is this a concern  IN the area you are riding through?   

Rain or Shine  you are going to have a blast :)                     

Offline chachi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 04:01:37 PM
Great tips Jeff!

I might also recommend a really efficient wicking, base underlayer that can prevent bottom chaffing and help you also exploit evaporative cooling more effectively. There is one brand of clothing specifically designed for the needs of motorcycle riders at https://ldcomfort.com/. You can also use padded biking shorts under your riding pants as well.

There is a fountain of information on the actual dynamics of riding a motorcycle in the heat at http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_hot.pdf. Basically above 93 degrees textile jackets are more effective at combating the impact of heat compared to a mere mesh jacket.

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 05:03:38 PM
*Originally Posted by JEF.FREE.Ryder [+]

Early Summer  for Me Means ALOT OF BUG'S.   cleaning Visor windscreen and bike head lights Alot
Of Course they are really going to start BUGGING on your hikes/ look out's.  Prepare for these bastards.

We set the trip to start on May 16 - well before summer time.  That means we are more than likely to run into cool cool mornings, followed by mid- to upper-80s+ daytime temps.   The good thing about most of the route we are taking is the lack of bugs, as well as larger wildlife for large portions of Southern Utah.

Hydration  - I Tie a BIG Jug of drinking water to the back. Forcing myself to drink at
                    every-stop. I have ran out of water before.  To stay cool i have soaked a bandana / head wrap. TieD it to my head than put my helemt on. Woohoo so refreshing.  :029:

Agree - we are working on the hydration plan (we plan frequent stops, so continuous hydration while on the bikes may not be required).  My dad used to work for the Highway department back in the day, and they all had the Canvas water bags hanging off their trucks in the summer.  Maybe I'll pay homage to him and get one for this trip.  The low humidity will definitely aid in keeping the water cool.

POWERFUL SUN -    A Strong Face Sunscreen. Keep a layer on. This also gets applied to 
 back of my neck.  Wrist's  ANY Exposed Skin. IMHO + Skin type this is mandatory for long sunny trips.

The sun in Utah is a killer.  Thanks for the reminder.

The Versys Handles Fine  on dirt + Service roads. IF you take your time you will be fine.
Unless there is MUD  than your loosing all of your traction on these street tires.

Most of the trip is paved.  The few sections of backroad trails have the option of paved routes if needed. 

Alot of Rural Gas Stations  Closer early   like by 5:00 or sometimes ; 9:00pm   
Is this a concern  IN the area you are riding through?   

Parts of our trip are pretty remote.  The longest fuel stretch is from Blanding to Hanksville - 125 miles.  Most of the rest of the trip will start or end in a tourist-type location so fuel should not be a problem.  If we get in late, we will still be able to fuel up in the morning before we start our day.

The Versys and the Ducati both have a 250+ mile range.  However, our third bike on the trip is a Buell Ulysses, with a 4.4 gallon tank and NO fuel gauge.  Making sure we keep it fueled will be the biggest concern.  Pretty sure the owner will have an MSR bottle or two with him  :756:.   

Rain or Shine  you are going to have a blast :)   
  Just finished making the hotel reservations, Can't wait for May to get here!                 

Offline jerry_james

• Versys Master
  • Love riding the Big V
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000SE+
  • City / Town: Bella Vista Arkansas
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 01:46:31 AM
We did this exact trip a few years back. You can check out the Pics and Ride Report here;

Picture Gallery:
https://lonestarlobos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Road-Trips/2016-Road-Trips/Grand-Circle-Trip-LSR

Ride report:
https://motoadrenalinetours.blog/2016/06/

That is some great riding! Can't wait to see your pics!
Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:52:37 AM by jerry_james
Jerry James
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000SE+
Bella Vista Arkansas
https://motoadrenalinetours.blog
https://www.youtube.com/c/jerryjames2up

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 05:02:09 PM
Well, COVID-19 really tried hard to throw a monkey wrench into this trip. But as they say, timing is everything, and Colorado has eased the stay-at-home restrictions, Utah never really effectively put anything in place, and most of the National Monuments and Parks along the route are slowly opening back up.  So the trip is on!

Packing is almost complete, still need to sort out some storage issues (go figure).

I'll start a new thread for the official trip reporting.

Offline tmasalin

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: San Diego
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 08:11:40 PM
You are going to have a blast! I generally do a Durango trip every summer from San Diego, and I am slated to leave on June 3rd again this year, which will be my 9th time I beliveve, so definitely keeping on all things Covid, but at least in theory, the tourist traffic should be lighter, and there are some great roads all through there.  We did the Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, back to Durango loop at the end of May in 2015, and in parts it was REALLY cold, mid 30's during the day in the passes, so layer up!

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #17 on: May 12, 2020, 11:34:37 PM
 :020: :37: :028: 
ride safe and have fun