Author Topic: Tour to Morocco - tour on my Versys 1000 GT or hire R1200GS locally?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Re: Tour to Morocco - tour on my Versys 1000 GT or hire R1200GS locall
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 10:20:00 PM
Just wanted to add that the ride down through Spain was quite easy, I swear it looks bigger on the map than it is. We just had a list of 5 or 6 cities and followed the signs to each from Bilbao to Algeciras. Our road speed was quite slow due to the Michelin Desert tyres which were a bit hairy over about 50mph till they wore a bit.
2015 Versys 1000- 98,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 7 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 10 washes and counting.

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 02:41:27 PM
*Originally Posted by chachi [+]
The V1K 2019 demo ride was in Morocco. The bike seemed to very well suited for most of the scenic roads in the area.

This is a great video for Morocco and the Versys, thanks for posting.

The riding and scenery look superb! We won't be going as far south as Agadir, going as far as Marrakech.

I think the Versys will be OK for main road riding and we're not planning any proper off-road.

I have some questions on long distance touring which I'll post under another heading relating to use of a throttle 'Crampbuster' as I don't have cruise control on my 2016 Versys and if I do take my bike there will be a long ride through Spain.

Offline nickw6666

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 02:44:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
Just wanted to add that the ride down through Spain was quite easy, I swear it looks bigger on the map than it is. We just had a list of 5 or 6 cities and followed the signs to each from Bilbao to Algeciras. Our road speed was quite slow due to the Michelin Desert tyres which were a bit hairy over about 50mph till they wore a bit.

That's interesting. I was looking at the ride thinking 'do I want to do that'. But that would be a part of the trip and something to enjoy if approached correctly. I'd need to break the trip down overnight. I have a TomTom satnav so finding the way won't be a problem.

I would just worry a little riding on my own for situations like a puncture.

Still, that's part of the Adventure spirit isn't it!

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 05:49:10 PM
Could always ship the bike down and then fly down and meet it . Then either ride back or ship it back, there's a few companies in the UK that will look after your bike for you.

Offline chachi

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 10:14:01 PM
*Originally Posted by nickw6666 [+]
This is a great video for Morocco and the Versys, thanks for posting.

The riding and scenery look superb! We won't be going as far south as Agadir, going as far as Marrakech.

I think the Versys will be OK for main road riding and we're not planning any proper off-road.

I have some questions on long distance touring which I'll post under another heading relating to use of a throttle 'Crampbuster' as I don't have cruise control on my 2016 Versys and if I do take my bike there will be a long ride through Spain.

I use the Crampbuster with great results. The trick is to make sure the plastic palm surface is as flat as possible when all free play has been removed from the throttle. For added padding, I will cut a small neoprene square and glue it on the palm surface so it provides more ergonomic relief.

There are two throttle options that work well for being able to relax the throttle on long stretches of road. The first is the cheapest and can be easily switched between bikes.

The second one has a safety feature that allows you to quickly disengage the throttle lock in case of abrupt braking.
Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:15:39 PM by chachi

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 01:07:22 AM
*Originally Posted by nickw6666 [+]

I would just worry a little riding on my own for situations like a puncture.

Still, that's part of the Adventure spirit isn't it!
We were a group of 4 and one of my mates had a pretty spectacular crash on an unsurfaced road in the mountains. He hit a boulder so hard it stoved in his alloy bash plate flattening his exhaust down pipe and preventing his clutch from working. His right hand metal pannier was ripped off by a car sized rock as he shot past it just before coming to a stop. A passing lorry full of fruit stopped and one of the passengers asked if we needed help, although we managed to bodge everything back together apart from the downpipe which popped and cracked for the next few weeks. The further south you get the friendlier people are and they will usually stop and ask if you're okay. There will always be a local garage in the nearest town who can repair a puncture.

A few days after the accident we realised we had not noticed one of the front brake discs was bent slightly from the accident and was eating into the pads big time. We removed the caliper, put a wedge of wood in between the pads and gaffer taped it to the fork leg leaving a single brake on the front instead of two. So that bike (a 1995 Africa Twin) spent about three weeks with a flattened down pipe which made it backfire occasionally, a single front brake caliper, a ratchet strapped right hand pannier and a bash plate smashed back into shape using rocks lying around and not only got the rider all the way back home, but was used to commute from Yorkshire to Swindon on a weekly basis for a few years afterwards after it was repaired.
Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:11:50 AM by Bayonet
2015 Versys 1000- 98,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 7 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 10 washes and counting.

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 01:38:13 AM
 Keep hydrated and have a great time, Guys! Stay safe and well!

Used to do long trips on the KLR 650 Tengai, great bike! Think the V1K can handle it.... :028:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline Kryton 2

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 07:56:05 AM
It's about the roads you're going to be on. I actually hired when i did my Morocco tour and glad i did. this was partly due to the route we took, and the time of year, April.

As mentioned by others, it gets bloody cold in the Atlas mountains, wrap up warm. Further south is not an issue. some of the roads are awesome, some are completely rubbish, which is why i'm glad i had the GS at the time. Again everything is road dependant, stick to flat roads, and the Versys will be fine, take anything resembling a side road and you will be in a world of hurt.

One of the the other things mentioned was the fact you might be selling the Versys. If you damage it down there, that won't  help the resale value.

The trip down there, bearing in mind you're driving down through Spain is meat and drink for the Versys, i can feel love in the air on that trip, my only concern is you're route once you hit Morocco.

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 11:49:19 AM
I probably shouldn't be saying this, but forewarned in forearmed....

I recall reading an account of a trip across Morocco in RiDE magazine a few years back. The main thing I remember was that he said he spent more time sat on the toilet than on the bike.

So don't forget the Imodium!  :012:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 01:07:13 PM
 :5::762::sick:

waggish