Top Posters Today

UrbanNomad
1 Posts

Author Topic: Front wheel spacers  (Read 348 times)

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 02' FZ1 and 18' V1
  • City / Town: Mechanicsville
Front wheel spacers
on: March 15, 2020, 05:23:50 PM
If anyone out there just happens to have their front wheel off at the moment; could you measure and give me the width of each of the two front wheel spacers please?
 I ask because I'm performing my first tire change (2018), and when I pulled the front axle out, the bottoms of the forks kind of flexed apart a bit once the threaded part of the axle was free from the left fork. The axle pinch bolt was of course already loose. There shouldn't be that much tension squeezing the front forks together. I'm wondering if they put in spacer that are too thin.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Re: Front wheel spacers
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 05:48:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Iceman63 [+]
If anyone out there just happens to have their front wheel off at the moment; could you measure and give me the width of each of the two front wheel spacers please?
 I ask because I'm performing my first tire change (2018), and when I pulled the front axle out, the bottoms of the forks kind of flexed apart a bit once the threaded part of the axle was free from the left fork. The axle pinch bolt was of course already loose. There shouldn't be that much tension squeezing the front forks together. I'm wondering if they put in spacer that are too thin.
10.5mm from the Parts Catalog / sub folder on this link HERE  :028: :028:

Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:49:41 PM by TowerMan
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:39:08 PM
Thanks towerman! Wheels are at the shop right now. Once I get them back, I will measure the spacers.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 08:11:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Iceman63 [+]
Thanks towerman! Wheels are at the shop right now. Once I get them back, I will measure the spacers.
IceMan

As I have my bike in a chain hoist (I'm lowering the yokes down the fork stanchions by 10mm to improve the turnin / quicken the handling),
I slackened my front wheel spindle and it also sprung apart a little bit ( ~5mm ), but then closed up again as I torqued back up the wheel spindle :028: :028:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 11:21:37 AM
I took another look at the front axle last night. The large end of the axle...the big end that the hex wrench fits into, has a little lip at the very edge. This is what pulls the forks in a bit once the threaded end takes hold. I've never seen this before. Usually, the big end is flat, or no lip,  and the fork with the pinch bolt end can float freely(maybe a couple of mm's movement)  until the pinch bolt is tightened.
 Kawasaki designed it the way they did, so I'm not going to worry about it. The forks being pulled together even just a little...seems like it could put stress on the slider bushings or cause stiction.

waggish