Author Topic: So near as well  (Read 2580 times)

Online Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Re: So near as well
Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 04:46:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
I've gone full circle with this bike now, at 103,000ish miles I'm part exchanging it for new Yamaha XTZ1200. I have been asked to please wash the bike before bringing it in for exchange.

Got 1600 for the Versys after taking into account a damaged mudguard leg (u-lock, you know the rest) and a crack in one of the fairings (suicidal pigeon when doing 90mph on the motorway, me doing 90, not the pigeon) which I welded back together myself.

My mate had a long ride of it yesterday on country lanes and motorway and came back looking quite pleased. The plan was to sell it to him for the few hundred quid I thought I'd be offered as part ex, but he now has to decide if it is still for him at that price. He was looking up insurance quotes when I left. He's got till I swap bikes to decide.

Had a bit of trouble getting a new Yamaha 1200, they are no longer in production I think, remaining stock in UK dealers will be it now.
Picked up the new XT1200Z this morning. My mate decided to take the Versys off my hands so I took him to the bike shop and he rode back to his home on the Versys and I went home on the new bike.

2015 Versys 1000- 103,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 8 rear tyres, 9 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 2 new front wheel bearings (precautionary),11 washes and counting. Also 1 front brake light switch.

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE
  • City / Town: VA
Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
Kinda wish I hadn't sold my S10.
But was out of work, so.....
Rode so much better on the hyway. My V1k  has a little porpoising all the time.

Any ideas on how to change this on a 2019?

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:24 PM
 :notsure:  best thing to do is set up your suspension , i did and my 2015 rides fine and smooth no porpoising as you are getting ............Sometimes it is in the pavement its self  undulations   high /low in the pavement , we have it here on a section of highway.

If your working now and things are better it would be a good time to trade off the Versys and get the Yamaha again perhaps , there are some good deals out there and its always better to own a bike you want .
cheers

Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:11:39 PM by Keener

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 06:21:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
:notsure:  best thing to do is set up your suspension , i did and my 2015 rides fine and smooth no porpoising as you are getting ............Sometimes it is in the pavement its self  undulations   high /low in the pavement , we have it here on a section of highway.
If your working now and things are better it would be a good time to trade off the Versys and get the Yamaha again perhaps , there are some good deals out there and its always better to own a bike you want .
It rides this way all the time, not extreme though. The S10 was near perfect for me, after I adjusted it in.
With electronic suspension on the 2019, not sure where to start to change things as I've never had a bike porpoise on me like this.
I just bought this damn thing, sure as hell not going to get rid of it now! I really like the features, some of which a S10 doesn't have.
No bike is perfect.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 06:31:08 PM
What do you mean by porpoising  exactly , i am not sure on the definition ? perhaps others with the 3rd Gen Versys can chime in ..
In the case of my 2015  it just sucks up most road imperfections and gives a smooth yet controlled feel to the bike for the most part, cant complain really  :027:

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 07:19:19 PM
What do you mean by porpoising  exactly , i am not sure on the definition ? perhaps others with the 3rd Gen Versys can chime in ..
In the case of my 2015  it just sucks up most road imperfections and gives a smooth yet controlled feel to the bike for the most part, cant complain really  :027:

How the bouncing of the front end affects the rear and they work off each other. It's slight and most of it comes from the front end I think.
I've got less than 1K miles on it yet and just not sure if I need to adjust preload (manual adj) or change it electronically (rebound, damping).

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 11:47:17 PM
Preload  may be the answer  ....i found that setting the front preload softer (more lines showing 7 in my case ) helped alot to take away some chatter and give the bike a more planted feel , i left the dampening as per stock setting but will play with that some more to come.. that all being said suspension set up is a pretty personal choice what works for some will not for others . I do know that many owners of the 2019 SE are right pleased with the suspension , perhaps start a thread with questions as to your model and see what comes of it ...You have what is considered a great motorcycle overall ...

Online Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 09:31:34 AM
Preload  may be the answer  ....i found that setting the front preload softer (more lines showing 7 in my case ) helped alot to take away some chatter and give the bike a more planted feel , i left the dampening as per stock setting but will play with that some more to come.. that all being said suspension set up is a pretty personal choice what works for some will not for others . I do know that many owners of the 2019 SE are right pleased with the suspension , perhaps start a thread with questions as to your model and see what comes of it ...You have what is considered a great motorcycle overall ...
My Versys seemed more stable at speed, especially fully loaded, once I lowered the front preload to less than the standard setting.
2015 Versys 1000- 103,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 8 rear tyres, 9 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 2 new front wheel bearings (precautionary),11 washes and counting. Also 1 front brake light switch.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: SHANKS'S PONY !
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 11:04:59 AM
Enjoy your new S10, they are a very nice bike  :028:     
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog