Author Topic: Versys 1000 saves my biking  (Read 649 times)

Offline m-jed

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys KLZ 1000 BHF
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Versys 1000 saves my biking
on: March 25, 2020, 08:10:27 PM
I thought Iíd share my personal experience of my purchase and the pressure to call it a day.

Iím not a career motorcyclist, maybe 15 years now. Though I had a 50cc Yamaha and a 200cc Kawasaki when I was first married back in 1976 (to commute to work). I never took up riding until I had a midlife crisis around 15 years ago. Iíd lived in San Francisco for 2 years and was hooked on Harley Davidsons. I went through the Direct Access training and purchased a Softail Heritage. I rode this for around 6 years, mostly on my own, before tiring of the poor handling, braking and cleaning.

I went for a test ride on a BMW 1200RT and it was an immediate realisation that this was a game changer. Shortly after this I took advanced riding training with the IAM, joining a group called TVAM in Wokingham (900 members). I started to tour the UK and rode with groups. After 5 years or so I had to give up the BMW as it was too heavy. Like the Harley, great once you are on the move, but too heavy at low or no speed, and I did drop it a couple of times whilst stationary.

So, I purchased a Triumph Tiger 800, which to all intensive purpose, I enjoyed Ė for a while. It was quite sporty and I found myself speeding about and with that feeling at risk despite advanced motorcycle training and being naturally cautious. Club riding felt unsafe as I tried to keep up (forced overtakes to stay with the group), so I left the club and went solo.

Iíd loved the Harley relaxed riding so purchased a Triumph Bonneville America, which was around 100kg less weight, so I could just bimble as I headed into retirement,  but slowly I tired of going out and the seed of calling it a day was slowing growing. Just had this feeling it was like riding an armchair and I was not engaged.

I looked around at bikes but didnít want to make the mistake of buying something else that didnít re-kindle my enjoyment. In my mind, the BMW 1200 RT only gave me memories of joyful riding. I sat on a few but just knew that the weight was still a problem, though I willed them to fit. Then I searched several bikes on this website;
https://cycle-ergo.com/

This allows you to compare a seating position, in my case between a new bike and the BMW. The bike that closely met this was the Versys 1000.

Unless Iím still on a honeymoon or this purchase is a self-fulfilling prophesy; buying the Versys 1000 has been a game changer. I knew it felt right immediately I took a test ride on a 2019 model from a main dealer.Though it is still quite heavy, it really feels nimble. One salesman said that shaft drive bikes are much harder to move about due to the shaft rotation and this certainly seems to be easier (I hate chain maintenance). On the road it feels light and just breezes along.

Iím already planning to take some weekend trips that Iíd given up, and canít wait to get away.

Iím 66 years old and have dodgy knees and a hip which were contributing to my thoughts of giving up.  The Versys really puts a smile on my face.

The only issues I have are that the throttle is quite fierce when pulling away (I have it on rain mode to reduce the torque) and itís slightly high Ė though Iíve stopped looking to lower it with suspension or a lower seat modification.

Of course, Iíve only owned it around a month I and itís now locked up due to the corona virus here in the UK. So, hopefully it wonít be too long before I can get out again.

I bought the 2017 top spec model with panniers and top box.

So... after a long period of thinking my biking was over, I feel like a born-again biker.

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
Re: Versys 1000 saves my biking
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:11 PM
Happy for you if you reached the Nirvana!! Welcome here!
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 08:41:14 PM
Hello and welcome and congratulations on your excellent choice of motorcycle  :031:
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline stuf

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:24 PM
 :031:
Well done and thanks for the report.
Stu

Offline Kaw

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Gtr1400
  • City / Town: WOLVERHAMPTON
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:25 PM
Looks great enjoy

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:49 PM
What an excellent and informative report.....thank you

The Versys 1000 is often found to be a revelation which is too often overlooked.

The CV has stopped us all from riding and my guess is that you are 'champing at the bit' to get out on your bike, which looks great  BTW  ...mind you it is GREEN    :008:     
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 LT SE 1000
  • City / Town: Sault Ste. Marie Ont
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:37:23 PM
Thanks for sharing that, love the colour and congrats!!  :152:

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 01:00:09 AM
  :762: Thank you  , it gets even better ......

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:24:01 AM
Congratulations, possible suggestion to tame her is a change of the throttle tube

https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/?product_cat=street-bikes&product_tag=kawasaki&pa_model=versys-1000-lt-15-18

This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2008 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 12:13:48 PM

If you find the 1000 too heavy/bulky try the Versys 650. The new ones are much like a scaled down V1k in my opinion.

Rob.

waggish