Author Topic: Selling 2019 Versys 650 GT for Versy 1000 SE GT rear braking issues?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000 Versys SE GT
  • City / Town: Dartmoor
Had a few 650 Versys so far and although had a VStrom 1000  reverted back to Versys. Been looking at buying a year old SE and doing some research etc.
On one of the youtube reports made mention that the rear brake having a smaller disc and single piston was an issue with braking?
First i had seen of this mentioned in numerous reports and video? Could someone that owns an SE give me their hands on working experience as opposed to perhaps a biased Youtube reviewer?
What are the benefits of the Se compared to the less electronic version?
Bike is 12000 im looking at and less than a year old. Appreciate any advice as those that ride em are always the best placed for honest and non biased advice, Cheers Tonybro

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
IMHO The rear brake isn't the best I've ever experienced, but it's not the worst either, it does its job well

The electronic suspension couple with IMU system is a revelation and transforms the bike from a bike that was always very good to one that is now a class leader,

I have owned three Versys 1000s firstly the 2013 Mk1 model then a 2017 Mk2 and now  a 2019 Mk3 version

I have attached some links below which should enable you to compare the latest version against the previous one , I hope this helps

Finally I would say that if you get the chance to test the latest version, then do so.......you will not be disappointed

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_versys_1000_2017.php 

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/kawasaki/kawasaki-versys-1000-review-2019-specs   

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/products/Dual_Purpose/2019/2019_Versys_1000_Grand_Tourer/specifications?Uid=08BEW1wOX1ldC1sJWlsMXFBRC1BYX1hYDgsLWwxYDV0MC1E 
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2019 V1000 SE GT
  • City / Town: Derby
The back brake on my Mark 2 was poor, with no feel at all. I might as well have pushed down on a block of wood. It would slow me down but it really didn't want to. I have no idea what's changed but the back brake on my SE is much better in that respect. It's nothing like as good as the improved front brake but it doesn't need to be. It does everything I need it to in a way I like, let's put it that way.

Keith
2019 Emerald Blazed Green/Metallic Flat Spark Black SE GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
The brakes on my old MkI were all I could ask for, especially once I had changed the front pads to EBC HH pads. I never found the rear brake wanting, it did everything I could want a rear brake to do.

By the way, I have a brand new set of EBC HH pads for the rear brake on a MkI if anyone is interested, I never needed to fit them.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline Kaw

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 1000 versys
  • City / Town: WOLVERHAMPTON
*Originally Posted by tonybro [+]
Had a few 650 Versys so far and although had a VStrom 1000  reverted back to Versys. Been looking at buying a year old SE and doing some research etc.
On one of the youtube reports made mention that the rear brake having a smaller disc and single piston was an issue with braking?
First i had seen of this mentioned in numerous reports and video? Could someone that owns an SE give me their hands on working experience as opposed to perhaps a biased Youtube reviewer?
Bike is 12000 im looking at and less than a year old. Appreciate any advice as those that ride em are always the best placed for honest and non biased advice, Cheers Tonybro
Dont know if this helps but i paid 12 grad for a brand new gt ,no fancy suspension but new grand tour

Offline jerry_james

• Versys Pro
  • Love riding the Big V
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000SE+
  • City / Town: Bella Vista Arkansas
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]

Finally I would say that if you get the chance to test the latest version, then do so.......you will not be disappointed

I agree with this. The rear brake is not the best, however it is very functional. I have ridden my 19 Versys very hard both on and off the track and the rear brake is not awful! Ride the bike and I feel you will be very happy with the results.
Jerry James
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000SE+
Bella Vista Arkansas
https://motoadrenalinetours.blog
https://www.youtube.com/c/jerryjames2up

Offline olie

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Austin, TX
I couldn't take the oem front brake pads anymore... the EBC HH pads became the savior.

I'm thinking to change the rear brake pads too again for EBC HH.... no sure if rear braking will become too aggressive...  anyone with that experience ??

Offline bradr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
*Originally Posted by tonybro [+]

I ended up getting the standard model.  I might have gotten the SE instead if it came in Orange :)

For me the following is what I really thought in terms of the differences for what mattered to me.

SE LT
    20% more expensive for me than the LT
    Active Suspension
    Tall Winshield Standard
    Has a quick shifter

LT
    Significantly cheaper in my location
    Most Important: Came in Orange
    The options I would actually want are cheaper to install as options
    Less to go wrong without an electronic suspension

I've always thought that electronic suspension is one of those things that you won't ever need or care about until you use it.  Sometimes its best to not know what you're missing :)  On a serious note, I came pretty close to getting the SE for the electronic suspension.

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
My 2016 works just fine, it's a hell of a lot better than my 2012 V650

Offline tonybro

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000 Versys SE GT
  • City / Town: Dartmoor
Many thanks to everyone that have taken the time to respond to my question. Looking at buying a year old SE which works out pretty much price of non SE model.
Obviously due to Crisis not able to test ride although have placed deposit on understanding rides and preforms well. Keep the faith, Tonybro

waggish