Author Topic: swing arm removal  (Read 802 times)

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000
  • City / Town: mansfield
swing arm removal
on: April 13, 2020, 07:52:21 PM
hi hope every one is staying safe.i ordered a nitron r1 shock before lockdown happened and last weekend decided to change it and while I was there stripped out the swingarm.nothing really to report all bearing well greased just the pivot pin a little corroded.put it all back together along with new shock but cant report how it feels until lockdown ends and we can get out

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Re: swing arm removal
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 11:57:36 AM

So you have the 4 pin clutch lock nut socket for the spacing adjustment nut on the swing arm pivot bolt?

I got brought up short at that point and have the 4 pin socket on order - scheduled to arrive between April 30th and May 22nd. I'll be standing by the mailbox  :whistle: .

Rob.

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:00:59 PM
yes mate ive got the castle nut remover I had a cbf1000 before the versys stripped that down coulndt see any grease when I removed it but versys was ok added a little more grease thou

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 01:54:06 AM

Good to know the Versys has grease. Not all do.

:028:

Rob.

Online hector

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: zzr1400 + v1k 2017
  • City / Town: lytham st annes
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:21 AM
did mine last summer, 2017 model, spindle was dry and starting to rust, very little grease in bearings, kawasaki are stingy with grease on manufacture,( as are a lot of other makes) my zzr1400 was the same,, steering head bearings next as these were only lightly greased aswell when i did my zzr14,

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 12:40:08 PM

Agree, although too much grease can be a magnet for grit.

Rob.

Online hector

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: zzr1400 + v1k 2017
  • City / Town: lytham st annes
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:03:12 PM
thats true Rob,, but thats what the seals are there for so as long as your seals are in good condition no grit should get in there,  :031:

Offline Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
  • Kawasaki-certified mechanic Motorcycle/ATV/UTV/SXS
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Cottageville
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 04:25:17 AM
*Originally Posted by powerfulpete [+]
hi hope every one is staying safe.i ordered a nitron r1 shock before lockdown happened and last weekend decided to change it and while I was there stripped out the swingarm.nothing really to report all bearing well greased just the pivot pin a little corroded.put it all back together along with new shock but cant report how it feels until lockdown ends and we can get out

Very interested in your impression of the Nitron shock as thatís the company Iím thinking about going with. Did it come with a blue spring? 😂
Shoodaben Engineering-tuned ECU, Black Widow exhaust, DanMoto muffler, Givi Touring windscreen, Givi dual-lit V56 trunk, Akeeyo DVR, APE bar risers, dual Hella horns, SRC Moto engine guards, headlight guard and radiator grille, Goldwing pegs on Motowerk lowers, Vista Cruise throttle-lock, Tymate TPMS, Race Tech Gold Valved Forks, STS self-canceling turn signals & STS braking system, Renthal Fatbars, Centramatic dynamic wheel balancers, front fender extender, rear tire hugger.

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:51 AM
I have a Nitron R2 shock and it works well. You have the option of the blue spring or black - same price.

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:45 PM
I choose to have black spring on my nitron as my bikes orange and now we can get out ive had 3 rides with it two with wife on back and one on my own.i have to say its quite impressive but I think the old shock was tired bikes got 37000 miles