Author Topic: Feel free to ask me anything related to tuning...  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: Feel free to ask me anything related to tuning...
Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 01:04:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Vern [+]
Hi Steve,

Whilst stuck in UK lockdown I have been completing what would essentially have been wintertime servicing.

I have two bikes, one being a 2017 Versys 1000 whilst the second is a 2004 KLV 1000 (Suzuki's vstrom).
Both bikes have been stripped to allow valve clearances and such to be checked.
And, during the servicing I have had a good look at the throttle bodies whilst balancing them

Being a home mechanic I am careful not to make too many mistakes and learn from both forums & other sources of advice.

You mentioned the secondaries on the throttle bodies, which both my bikes have and are controlled via a stepper motor.

My question is what are they for?
Are they to control engine power via the ecu, maybe traction control or low power setting?
As the KLV has neither,  I assume they control power allowed in each gear.

If I remove the circular plate of the secondaries would this allow the bike to produce it's available full power whenever I wish, when I fully twist the cable operated throttle, or would I be creating engine problems if I did so?

Thanks Vern

"back in the old days" (like 10 years ago) it was common for owners to remove the secondary throttle plates to free up power. Of course that would be if the mapping was such that the secondary throttles were inhibiting power. On the V1K, they really don't. They do contribute to engine braking though, and are part of the traction control system. I can't speak to the KLV if there would be any gains there or not.  Keep in mind that those plates can also be used as a variable intake of sorts, and help air speed through the ports, which in turn helps throttle sharpness and fuel economy. I spend alot of time mapping the secondaries in all the bikes I've flashed, because I find that overall they can contribute to smoothness, economy and throttle transitions.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 05:07:44 AM
I just put 40x 7/32" holes in my Delkevic DB killer.  I deburred and flushed it out.  If it's not raining tomorrow I'll take 'er for a rip with it.  I'm interested to see what it does for throttle response.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 01:37:26 PM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
I just put 40x 7/32" holes in my Delkevic DB killer.  I deburred and flushed it out.  If it's not raining tomorrow I'll take 'er for a rip with it.  I'm interested to see what it does for throttle response.

1) if you were running WITH the DBKiller , and now with it drilled, you are going to pick up a bunch of power. My dyno runs showed a 7 hp difference with and without the db killer.

2) if you were running without the DBKiller before, on the full Delkevic system you MAY not notice a difference. Reason being, the Delkevic with the small head pipes maintained the light throttle response better than the Black Widow, with it's 1.5" head pipes. I don't know if you will gain any light throttle response with the Delkevic header.  I never tried the drilled DB killer on the Delkevic header,I didn't feel the need. The Drilled DB killer made an obvious difference in light throttle response with the BW header... best of all worlds.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 01:42:19 PM
   Here's my Versys1000 with the BW header and Delkevic 14" muffler WITH and WITHOUT the DBKiller (not drilled). Steve

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 03:25:26 PM
Here's the BW header / 14" delk muffler with and without the DBKiller drilled. Drilled is the blue line, I didn't have rpm recording so there's no torque line. it would be the same as the red line anyway... I would say the differences in these runs is "statistically insignificant".

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 08:26:08 PM
Nice to see that DATA. (All caps because data is awesome). Im running the full Delkevic system w/ 14 CF can. I may or may not run the drilled DB killer now since it wont make much difference with these headers.

Im probably gonna break down and order the Black Widow headers then get it reflashed, then run with/without the baffle/DB killer.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 08:53:40 PM
Nice to see that DATA. (All caps because data is awesome). Im running the full Delkevic system w/ 14 CF can. I may or may not run the drilled DB killer now since it wont make much difference with these headers.

Im probably gonna break down and order the Black Widow headers then get it reflashed, then run with/without the baffle/DB killer.

You have already drilled it. It takes 1 bolt and 3 minutes to install it. Experiment, or you won't learn. Install the DBKiller now, and see what you think. Wondering about it later, after you've pulled the header off is going to be to late. Steve

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 05:27:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
  You have already drilled it. It takes 1 bolt and 3 minutes to install it. Experiment, or you won't learn. Install the DBKiller now, and see what you think. Wondering about it later, after you've pulled the header off is going to be to late. Steve

I was all set to go for a rip this afternoon with the freshly drilled DB killer in place.  Then, my new neighbor came over and asked me for help mounting a TV (which I was happy to do because the old neighbor was a butthole and this new fella seems like a good guy).  Then it started raining like crazy and never let up so no test ride today, unfortunately.  I'll go for a ride over the next few days.

I did however place my order for the Black Widow headers.  FWIW, in case anyone else in the US is shopping for them, it was nearly $100 cheaper to go through Black Widow than through eBay, due to taxes and shipping costs, for some reason.

:37:

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 07:46:44 AM
FWIW, in case anyone else in the US is shopping for them, it was nearly $100 cheaper to go through Black Widow than through eBay, due to taxes and shipping costs, for some reason.

I found the same thing only it was over $100 AU to buy direct rather than through Black Widows ebay shop. About $130 from memory

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:19 AM
I was all set to go for a rip this afternoon with the freshly drilled DB killer in place.  Then, my new neighbor came over and asked me for help mounting a TV (which I was happy to do because the old neighbor was a butthole and this new fella seems like a good guy).  Then it started raining like crazy and never let up so no test ride today, unfortunately.  I'll go for a ride over the next few days.

I did however place my order for the Black Widow headers.  FWIW, in case anyone else in the US is shopping for them, it was nearly $100 cheaper to go through Black Widow than through eBay, due to taxes and shipping costs, for some reason.

:37:

That's crazy! I did buy mine on fleebay, and I thought, based on what exhausts generally cost, that it was a good deal at that price!
 Steve

waggish