Bigpadg Bigpadg
8 Posts
TYKE TYKE
3 Posts
SaultGuy SaultGuy
2 Posts
markymark11 markymark11
2 Posts

Author Topic: Knobbed tires on the Versys 1000  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Snifflytooth

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: ChrisWalkerblackops
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: Knobbed tires on the Versys 1000
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 06:07:53 PM
I've got Continental Twinduros on mine, off the top of my head they are TKC80???

I have used them off road on a couple of green lanes here in the UK, BUT it's not a place the Versys is very happy at all!  Soft suspension and very little ground clearance play against you when the going gets a bit gnarly.  Just gravel roads, it'll be fine I think.  I'd hate to pick it up, a thought that was definitely in my mind as I was negotiating a rocky descent.

Offline Snifflytooth

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: ChrisWalkerblackops
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 06:12:37 PM
Just to add

Mine have lasted 6500 miles, the rear is just about done now.  They can take a surprising amount of lean and overall I've been very happy with them.

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 02' FZ1 and 18' V1
  • City / Town: Mechanicsville
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 08:23:16 PM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
You can hang photos with a sledge hammer but it's not ideal.   :173:

The Versys is a sport touring pavement princess that sort of looks like an ADV bike, but it is not an ADV bike.  I've taken mine down several dirt/gravel roads, but I also took my FZ1 and FJR down those same roads previously.  None did much better or worse than the other.  If I were taking a trip with a heavy emphasis on gravel I would buy something cheaper, lighter, and simpler like a KLR/DR/XR 650, maybe a VStrom 650. 

:031:

This^^
The V1 is a street bike. I wouldn't want to try anything more off road than I would on my FZ1.....graded gravel or graded hard pack dirt.
That, and with the reports of bent front rims on the V1, I'd be weary of anything more.

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 02:57:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Dannan811 [+]
Hi everyone.  For many years I've been wanting to do a motorcycle trip up the Trans-Labrador highway from Ottawa to Happy Goose-Bay and back.  I came close a few years ago and found a partner who wanted to come along as this is not the type of trip you go alone on. That part of Northern Canada is a pretty isolated area (past Fermont and Labrador City) and there are long stretches of roads where you really do not want to get stalled on or break down alone.  You ar really in the wilderness up there and it can get pretty cold at night. Anyway, I even bought a brand new Kawasaki KLR 650 just for that trip. Unfortunately my partner had to cancel because of a family matter and I never got the opportunity to do the trip since.  I eventually sold the KLR.

Anyway, now that I have the Versys 1000 (2019), and since it is advertised as a somewhat Adventure bike with off-road capabilities, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be able to install knobbed tires on it so that I could ride it on gravel roads. Most of the trans-Labrador highway is gravel and so I wouldn't see myself riding the bike with the regular road tires for more than a 1000 kms.

Has anyone ever installed knobbed tires on this bike?  If yes, could you please provide comments and possibly pictures of the bike with the tires.

If I ever get the opportunity to do that rip, perhaps just getting these tires on the Versys would be a better investment than buying a new KLR again :-)

Thanks guys.
Hey, Id be up for this trip! Maybe this year!? :)

Here are the tires I found we can use for Versys: Continental TKC 80
https://fortnine.ca/en/continental-tkc80-twin-duro-rear-tire

Pete's bike store can get it for us for 400$ CAD installed. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 02:58:02 AM
All my trips this year have been cancelled due to covid19. US is closed... I wanted to do this trip since last year...

I'd say we can do this trip in one week...?

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 10:08:26 PM
Just got back home from riding.. Was exploring Quebec and found this gravel road:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.9605986,-74.6019766/45.8805693,-74.5687865/@45.921636,-74.6103436,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0

Unlike other gravel roads this one was loose gravel... So, my verdict, with road tires it is NOT doable.  :211:
My V1K was wiggling left and right.., but not straight.

Online uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 10:55:12 PM

Nice country up there, mr.ford. I used to cross country ski in that area back in the '60s  :008: .

Rob.

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 04:43:48 AM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Nice country up there, mr.ford. I used to cross country ski in that area back in the '60s  :008: .

Rob.

Back in the 60s my parents went to school...  :745:

Offline bradr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 07:20:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Snifflytooth [+]
I've got Continental Twinduros on mine, off the top of my head they are TKC80???

I have used them off road on a couple of green lanes here in the UK, BUT it's not a place the Versys is very happy at all!  Soft suspension and very little ground clearance play against you when the going gets a bit gnarly.  Just gravel roads, it'll be fine I think.  I'd hate to pick it up, a thought that was definitely in my mind as I was negotiating a rocky descent.

Curious what tire pressures are you running on the TKC80 when on the pavement?  Seems that the max pressures are lower for the TKC80 than the OE tires.

waggish