Author Topic: Flash News  (Read 394 times)

Online Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
  • Kawasaki-certified mechanic Motorcycle/ATV/UTV/SXS
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Cottageville
Flash News
on: May 10, 2020, 02:43:17 AM
Well, I received my ECU back from Steve@shoodabenengineering.com last week. Iíd already put my Black Widow header/decat system on and rode some - before sending off my ECU - to see how I liked it on my 2015 V1K. Like it, I did! Running the stock muffler, the sound was considerably louder without the cat. Then I got the DanMoto Jisu muffler, put that on and the sound got a little louder but also deeper. Power was improved on top, not much down below, some popping on decel. Overall, I was pleased with the results that only a replacement header/muffler/cat delete system provided. Or so I thought. When my ECU arrived promptly from Steve, I connected it, fired her up and went for that first ride. Idle was good, no hunting. I had a checklist in my head of the things Steve claimed his tune would address so I started at the bottom. More manners and more oomph there both. Not docile, but civil, controlled; on/off transitions seamless. Toss the throttle-tamer, wonít be needing that. Shifting is smooth. Getting into the midrange quickly the bike really starts coming alive. Chopping the throttle results in less engine-braking (thankfully!) and absolutely no backfires or popping (pair valve blocked off). Stabbing the throttle produces instant acceleration and then you really feel the proof of Steveís efforts, wondering if youíre on your same bike. As good as I thought the exhaust alone was, the tune doubled again my regard. Night and Day is all I can say. Exactly how this sweet machine of ours Shoodaben. Steve, I thank you for the obvious fruits of your hard work and for your good communications with me (helping me make decisions). BTW, gas mileage has improved everywhere but especially in lower rev range where the bike is now so content to be. I average just over 2,000 miles/month (all interstate 80mph), so with the 1-2mpg improvement Iím seeing there, combined with now running 89 mid-grade (octane used in the flash build) instead of 92-93 octane, by my calculations the cost for my flash will be offset in exactly one year in fuel savings alone ... and that doesnít even begin to account for the wide grin on my face! Hail, Steve!! You sir, have certainly delivered.  :757: :152: :celebrate: :763:
Shoodaben Engineering-tuned ECU, Black Widow exhaust, DanMoto muffler, Givi Touring windscreen, Givi trunk w/ lighting, APE Pivoting Risers, dual Hella horns, SRC Moto engine guards and headlight guard, Motowerk peg lowers, Vista Cruise throttle-lock, Tymate TPMS, Race Tech Gold Valved Forks, STS self-canceling Smart Turn Signals and STS Smart Braking System, front fender extender & rear tire hugger.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Flash News
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:19:20 AM
Now that is what I call a RESULT ....great report and write up , and well done Steve  :celebrate:     
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Online Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 02:37:52 AM
Thanks, Tyke, I waited to post that review until Iíd had some saddle time and collected all my notes and thoughts. I canít imagine any V1K running better than mine presently is, well, not without the cams or the whole Z motor!  :756: Iím reminded now every morning on my way to work just what a good decision I made here.
Shoodaben Engineering-tuned ECU, Black Widow exhaust, DanMoto muffler, Givi Touring windscreen, Givi trunk w/ lighting, APE Pivoting Risers, dual Hella horns, SRC Moto engine guards and headlight guard, Motowerk peg lowers, Vista Cruise throttle-lock, Tymate TPMS, Race Tech Gold Valved Forks, STS self-canceling Smart Turn Signals and STS Smart Braking System, front fender extender & rear tire hugger.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:27:14 PM
Where'd you get the Black Widow headers from?  Directly from Black Widow?  If so, how quickly did they get them to you?  Wondering if they have a US distributor...thanks!

Online Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
Where'd you get the Black Widow headers from?  Directly from Black Widow?  If so, how quickly did they get them to you?  Wondering if they have a US distributor...thanks!

Man, UK, and they shipped quick! They were out of their offices for Covid but still shipped them out like the next day. I had them in 5 days. 👍

Online Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:41 AM
Got em off eBay.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:02:46 AM
Cool, thanks.  Still loving the setup? 

I'm halfway considering changing from my Delk headers to BWs to pick up some top end, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.  I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

:124:

Online Bigpadg

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:30:56 AM
I had BW ship them direct to Performance Coatings in Oregon for their Glacier Black ceramic coating treatment inside and out and I absolutely love them. Larger diameter looks better and the black just does it for me. Steve in Fla. - who flashed my Ecu - and I both prefer the BW to the Delk, which is basically an OEM configuration. Have you seen Steveís posts here comparing the two systems?

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 03:59:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Bigpadg [+]
I had BW ship them direct to Performance Coatings in Oregon for their Glacier Black ceramic coating treatment inside and out and I absolutely love them. Larger diameter looks better and the black just does it for me. Steve in Fla. - who flashed my Ecu - and I both prefer the BW to the Delk, which is basically an OEM configuration. Have you seen Steveís posts here comparing the two systems?

That sounds awesome.  Do you have any photos of the headers, on and off the bike?

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:10:35 AM
*Originally Posted by Bigpadg [+]
Steve in Fla. - who flashed my Ecu - and I both prefer the BW to the Delk, which is basically an OEM configuration. Have you seen Steveís posts here comparing the two systems?

And yes, to answer your question I have been poring over the dyno sheets on Steve's site.  I'm trying to decide if I want to change to the BW headers.  I like that they get better MPG and have more power on top, but I'm slightly concerned about losing some responsiveness down low.  Would you say this is a valid concern, or did you quickly adjust to the newfound power on top?

Previously I had an FZ1 and it was basically dead at low RPMs but crazy fast above 5-6k IIRC.  It was a really fun bike, just had to know when/where to shift.  I wouldn't mind a little more top end rush on my Versys...

waggish