Author Topic: Utah Trip blog  (Read 1354 times)

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Re: Utah Trip blog
Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 04:38:33 PM
Day six, the final leg home. Coldest morning so far, in the low 30s. We got off to a slow start as I managed to 'lose' my keys and pocket knife. We spent 25 or 30 minutes looking for the damn things, including removing everything strapped to the top of my bike and looking underneath the bike seat with my spare key. No luck. then I realize that the overpants I had on didn't have pockets, just a pass through slit. So when I put my keys in my 'pocket', they just fell down to the bottom of the pants where the cuff was. Ugh.

That short delay bought us a little more temperature gain, but the ride up the mountains was still a bit chilly, with temps in the low 40s. First stop was Silverton for some gas, and a quick drive through the old mining town.

From Silverton we continued up and over Red Mountain Pass. In the olden days it was known as the million-dollar highway, and the views along the way are beautiful. We stopped at the side road for engineer pass for some photos.

From there we rode a mile or two to the turnoff for the bear Creek falls overlook.

Looking down the valley towards Ouray, CO.

For the first time on the trip we actually stopped for lunch at lunch time. Found this converted gas station in the middle of Montrose, CO, it had great burgers.

Since we were in the area, we thought it would be appropriate to make a quick little side trip and visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument. They had only re-opened three days before, but they were a fair number of visitors in the park.

The last stop of the day was in Gunnison, CO for gas and a photo op at my alma mater. It's always good to see the 'W' on the hill when you're in Gunnison!

And finally at my house, 6 days 1,800+ miles later, and a lot of fun and memories!

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 11:01:53 PM
Great photo's and writeup,  just a pity about your slight accident. Looks amazing,  I'll be coming over sometime in the future with a few mates to do some touring round.  Last time I hired an Indian chief  and did death valley and some of route 66. Next time I might bring my versys and places like monument valley etc is where I want to go. It would be good if sometime you could post a map of your route.  It makes it easier for me to work out a route.  Once again,  thanks for sharing your trip.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 11:09:12 PM
 :763:

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 01:13:24 AM
I've been to most of those places...you can't go wrong motorcycling that area!!!
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Online uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #34 on: May 23, 2020, 03:21:13 AM

Much enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

Rob.

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 20 V1K SE black/grey
  • City / Town: Tilburg
Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:22 AM
All. Of. That. Scenery.

:5:

Un. Be. Lievable.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

I must build a crate for my bike and ship it straight to Utah. Wow. Just wow.

:37:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #36 on: May 23, 2020, 11:44:43 AM
Great reports and pictures, glad you got home safely......it's been an eventful trip  :002:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
Reply #37 on: May 23, 2020, 03:57:30 PM
Glad you are back safe and no worse for wear. Been to most of these places  a time or two. How did you like Utah Highway 12? If you need a hand putting your bike back together let me know. Good parts place is Partzilla. You interested in a 2013 V-strom 650. Let me know.
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000LTSE (Flying Nun)13 V-STrom 650 (WeeIII)

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 11:37:05 PM
Chuck - Utah Highway 12 was a sweet ride.  Lots of varying terrain from Torrey south, and the views were amazing.

The three parts I need have been ordered, they may not arrive until next week.  I think I can get them on pretty quickly in the garage.

I did notice one more bit of damage though. At first, I thought the left mirror stalk got bent, but after riding it to work today, I realize that the real issue may be that that handlebar is bent on the left side.  This makes sense, since I'm pretty sure the bar end took the weight of the initial impact and the 180 degree spin that took place during the fall.

It seems to be 'off' by about an inch from the right side.  It doesn't affect handling, riding or anything else, and it still clears the tank on full-left lock by about the same amount as the right side, but is definitely off. 

I may need to bite the bullet and order a new handlebar.  I'm off to the hills for a few days, but will take some measurements and make a new post on this subject if need be.

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 12:59:25 AM
I'm pretty sure I have confirmed the bar is bent.  Put it up on the centerstand, measured distance from each side of the fairing to make sure things were level, and here is what the bar look like.

I turned the level tool on my phone on, so I know it was level when I took that picture

I also measured from the floor to the handlebar end on each side.

Right side is a shade over 46" from the garage floor, left side is only 44 3/4", which confirms the left side droop you can see in the first picture.

Structurally things seem solid, so I think writing it around until I get a replacement should be okay?

anyone have any ideas on replacement bars, besides OEM, or should I just stick with OEM?