Author Topic: Bang for the buck...  (Read 270 times)

Offline Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Bang for the buck...
on: May 17, 2020, 02:26:05 PM
   You have limited funds, but want to do some exhaust work. what's the best bang for the buck... buying a new header or a new muffler?

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Re: Bang for the buck...
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 04:02:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
   You have limited funds, but want to do some exhaust work. what's the best bang for the buck... buying a new header or a new muffler?

£15 for dumping the rear end can  :031:

What it sounds like  :028:

The 2" (50mm) Stainless Steel 45 deg bend pipe I got on this Ebay link  - HERE and then slash cut it myself  :028:

and the cheap universal exhaust guard I got again on Ebay - HERE  :028:

Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 04:11:51 PM
 Very clean. Did you gain any performance from that mod?

I should have clarified... if you're looking for performance, but of limited funds where's the best place to spend the money... header or muffler?

(I tend to be all about performance of one type or another)

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 04:21:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
Very clean. Did you gain any performance from that mod?

I should have clarified... if you're looking for performance, but of limited funds where's the best place to spend the money... header or muffler?

(I tend to be all about performance of one type or another)

:008:

Yes it does feel a lot more flickable, as I have lost +6 kg of weight  :38:

Also my bum-o-meter registers a bit more quickness in the low to midrange - but I did fit a BoosterPlug at about the same time  :027:

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:31:07 PM
Steve - For my next cheap mod I'm looking at just cutting the Catalytic converter out of the system and joining the OEM headers and Toaster box back up together, keeping the same small outlet pipe arrangement as above  :756:

Like I did on my Mk1 2009 V650, where I also Gutted the Cat out of the underbody box - Details HERE FYI  :7:

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 04:47:25 PM
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Steve - For my next cheap mod I'm looking at just cutting the Catalytic converter out of the system and joining the OEM headers and Toaster box back up together, keeping the same small outlet pipe arrangement as above  :756:

Like I did on my Mk1 2009 V650, where I also Gutted the Cat out of the underbody box - Details HERE FYI  :7:

I have some dyno charts that would indicate not much to be gained by doing that. I'll post some charts up in a bit, maybe it will help dispel some rumors and start some new ones.  :007: 

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 12:36:10 AM
 Here's a couple charts to consider. The first is stock vs stock with a tune. The next is Delkevic and Black widow headers, tuned, with the stock muffler. As you see the Delk header isn't that far ahead of just the tuned stock bike. stock was 114.36 hhp, and 115.18 for the delk header with the stock muffler.

If you're gutting the cat or adding a decat link pipe, I'd expect it to be about the same as the delkevic header, which is a designed the same as a stock header without the cat.

Clearly the Black Widow is the power winner, even with a stock muffler.
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:40:36 AM by Steve in sunny Fla

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vero Beach ,Florida
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:45:25 PM
I like the idea of decat, less heat under the bike. Black widow sounds best choice and glad to see comparisons using stock muffler. Is that combo reasonably quite ?  At 65 Iím not into loud and annoying  anymore , just good riding. Don't need every last drop of HP at top end as I don't go there.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 06:11:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Mr Mike [+]
I like the idea of decat, less heat under the bike. Black widow sounds best choice and glad to see comparisons using stock muffler. Is that combo reasonably quite ?  At 65 Iím not into loud and annoying  anymore , just good riding. Don't need every last drop of HP at top end as I don't go there.

I'm 61 in less than a month. Noise and sound of the exhaust don't impress me anymore. I don't like loud either. A header with the stock muffler is fine at regular riding throttle openings. louder than stock, but not offensive. it gets a bite to it with hard throttle applications. Nothing like the aftermarket slip ons though, which can be LOUD.