Author Topic: Chain Alignment  (Read 142 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Chain Alignment
on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:07 PM
On this forum I've noticed that several people have commented about the factory chain alignment marks being off so I bought a "line of sight" alignment  tool. Recently I replaced the rear tire and front sprocket (upped the gearing by one tooth), and used the tool to align the chain as perfectly as possible, paying no attention to the factory marks.

The windshield has never been level with the horizon while riding and rear tire tread life has been poor (IMHO). I've measured the windshield six ways from Sunday and nothing is out of kilter. NOW...after aligning the chain PROPERLY...the windshield is level and I'm hopeful the tire mileage will increase. Also, where always before there was an audible chain noise that cycled rhythmically at highway speeds, it's no longer present. I'm guessing the bike has always dog-tracked a bit and neither I nor my riding buddies have seen it.

It will be interesting to see if the tire mileage becomes more reasonable because 5k miles on the previous tire, as easy as I ride the bike, is unacceptable considering the cost of a premium tire. This time I went with a Dunlop Roadsmart II on sale for about half the price of the P Angel GT from before. The Dunlop seems to perform every bit as well for my needs as the Angel GT did.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: Chain Alignment
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:54:01 PM
I was one who had issue with my chain on my 09 V650 years back and got the Motion Pro Chain Alignment tool. The swing arm marks on my 650 were off but on my 1000 they have been spot on but i still use the tool

V-650
IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

V-1000
P1020247 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein

waggish