Author Topic: My weekend  (Read 396 times)

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
My weekend
on: May 24, 2020, 11:12:03 AM
Went for a short weekend ride to Bingara, naturally a cold front came through Friday night and greeted me with cold weather at 6.30 am Saturday, 11 degrees C according to the Versys. Headed off to Grafton up the Highway for an easy 80km start to the ride and leaving crossing the mountains until as late as possible. Turned west and on to Jackadgery where I was planning to have breakfast but no such luck they were closed, so I just kept going and was soon into the fun part of the ride the Gibraltar ranges.
A clean, dry and carless run up the hill with the big Versys singing along nicely we made good time with the temperature gauge dropping into single figures, I was mostly warm enough apart from (as usual) my fingers getting colder and colder. Up past Heffrons and to the top of the hill where looking at the temp it was now almost freezing, 2 degrees.
On towards Glen Innes and apart from a short stop to take a pic at Beardy Waters (a tradition of mine) and a pic of the temp 5 degrees by then, I headed to the Hiway Diner for an alternative breakfast stop but of course they were also closed.By this time hunger and the temperature were taking a toll and I was getting a little fuzzy around the edges. Oh well Inverell is not far away so off I go hoping to get something to eat.
Pulled into Inverell and wooo hooo Brumbies bakery was open so a yummy cheese and bacon pie and hot chocolate later and it was off to Bingara for the final leg for the day. A quick sprint to Delungra and a left turn onto an almost deserted road heading for Bingara. By this time the fuel light was flashing but I knew the bike had enough for 400 km so twist the throttle and ride on. Got into Bingara after a 4 hour ride with 386 km on the odometer and the range to empty had given up the ghost. Tried to get fuel at the BP but they only had 91 so just went to Jenny's and decided to get fuel in the morning.
Jenny has a ZRX1200 (only 11 apart on the production line from my ZRX) and had been having some starting issues so I went to start it and noticed the slow cranking speed so we borrowed a battery charger and put it on for the night.
An absolutely fantastic roast lamb dinner with roast vegies and lamb jam (never heard of it before) and I was a very satisfied traveler. 400 km for the day in 4 hours in comfort and on 1 tank of fuel the mighty Versys is a brilliant touring machine.
Woke up around 6.30 and went for a walk down to the Gwydir River and then it was time to fire up Oscar the Grouch, Jenny's ZRX, got it going and let it warm up for a bit then Jenny took me for a drive around Bingara and Upper Bingara, a former gold mining town with a population of 6,000 back in the mid 1800's. Back to Jenny's for lunch and packed the bags for the ride home with Jenny following to blow out Oscar's cobwebs.
Said goodbye at Delungra and headed home. An uneventful trip pretty much the same as the outgoing and got home after a 4 hour, 400 km ride without stopping. Got fuel, lubed the chain (I love the center stand) and put her away ready for a ride tomorrow to Taylors Arm. The big girl is that comfortable, the most I'd do on the ZRX in one go was the fuel range between 250 - 300 km by then I was squirming around on the seat and wanted a break.
That was my weekend how was yours?

Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:48:13 AM by Maverick

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Re: My weekend
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:54:04 PM

What a great week end.

Much as I like the XRX and it's generation, modern f.i. really has put carbs into the dark ages.

Enjoyed the landscapes and the text, thanks for posting.

Rob.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 01:35:03 PM
Great report, with fantastic sounding place names... I like that... excellent pictures , thanks for sharing    :028:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:34:34 AM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

What a great week end.

Much as I like the XRX and it's generation, modern f.i. really has put carbs into the dark ages.

Enjoyed the landscapes and the text, thanks for posting.

Rob.

I still love the ZRX it's so raw and brutal compared to the V. It's probably no quicker and the V definitely makes better use of the fuel but the REX is analog to the Versys digital, if that makes sense. Even though I have sold my 2005 green ZRX (The Hulk) I still have my red 2002 tucked away not sure whether to keep it or sell.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:22:41 AM
Thanks for the pics, Mav  :152:  You know you will regret selling your ZRX if you do.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:34:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
I still love the ZRX it's so raw and brutal compared to the V. It's probably no quicker and the V definitely makes better use of the fuel but the REX is analog to the Versys digital, if that makes sense. Even though I have sold my 2005 green ZRX (The Hulk) I still have my red 2002 tucked away not sure whether to keep it or sell.

IMHO my ZRX 1200 isn't or doesn't feel as fast as my Versys

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 01:15:59 PM

Interesting comment, Tyke.

Ever since getting my 2015 V1K almost 2 years ago I've been trying to compare it's feel with that of the 2004 FJR I sold in 2008.

I sold the FJ because it bored me at less than 160 kph, too smooth, too fast, a disaster waiting to happen.
 I demo'd a Mk1 V1K when they first arrived in Canada and came away thinking it a great bike but with similar pitfalls to the FJ. Namely that I'd have to ride it way too fast in order to have any fun with it.
 Now I'm riding and enjoying a Mk2 V1K on a regular basis and seldom seeing 160 kph I can't quite put my finger on what has made the difference. It may be something as uninteresting as my increasing age  :015: .
  Or it may be that there are fundamental differences between the V1K and the super sport tourers such as the FJR and C14 that I am missing.

Rob.

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 01:22:32 PM
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
Thanks for the pics, Mav  :152:  You know you will regret selling your ZRX if you do.

My son bought it already otherwise I could not have bought the V, I also sold my 650 Versys. I still have red.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 01:50:24 PM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Interesting comment, Tyke.

Ever since getting my 2015 V1K almost 2 years ago I've been trying to compare it's feel with that of the 2004 FJR I sold in 2008.

I sold the FJ because it bored me at less than 160 kph, too smooth, too fast, a disaster waiting to happen.
 I demo'd a Mk1 V1K when they first arrived in Canada and came away thinking it a great bike but with similar pitfalls to the FJ. Namely that I'd have to ride it way too fast in order to have any fun with it.
 Now I'm riding and enjoying a Mk2 V1K on a regular basis and seldom seeing 160 kph I can't quite put my finger on what has made the difference. It may be something as uninteresting as my increasing age  :015: .
  Or it may be that there are fundamental differences between the V1K and the super sport tourers such as the FJR and C14 that I am missing.

Rob.

Age may well have a bearing on it Uralrob.... I'm convinced it does with me  :008: 

My ZRX is (obviously) a completely different animal to my Versys, there really is little or no comparison, the ZRX is much more 'raw' and of course lacking in wind protection,as you know it's also a carburettor  bike as oppose to the FI on my Versys plus I guess 18 years of development will make my Versys much smoooooother with better roadholding manners,

I reckon that I need to adopt a different mindset when I ride the ZRX as it is a more involved ride  :015:     

waggish