Author Topic: 2 Close Calls in one day  (Read 462 times)

Offline VersysFam

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 17,18,19 1000ís
  • City / Town: Sarasota
2 Close Calls in one day
on: May 24, 2020, 11:42:59 PM
Hi fellow riders, my family was out yesterday breaking in our new versys 1000s, we have a 17,18, and 19. I was leading on the 19 on a four lane divided road going 45. There was a cut through for oncoming traffic to turn left into a shopping mall and a line of cars were waiting. As I approached this fool goes around the waiting cars using the berm and turns left right in front me. I stood on the brakes wiggled but stayed up and missed side swiping him by inches. We pulled off and another driver stopped to check on us. It was a close call. Later that night on the way home my back tire goes flat in the middle of nowhere, 45 minutes from home. Moto tow came to pick us up in about an hour and another group of riders stopped to hang out with us while we waited. All in all it was a great day of riding, love the bikes. Took the wheel off today, which was surprisingly easy and will replace my <500 mile tire next week, lol. Be safe and enjoy the weekend!

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Re: 2 Close Calls in one day
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:33:36 AM
Glad yíall are OK. People are crazy. Itís cool that you have 3 Versys!

As far as the flat goes, Iíve kept a plug kit and mini air compressor with me at all times for years. It has gotten me (and several other otherwise stranded riders) home safely over that time. Iíve had very good luck with plugs, but sometimes a tow is the only option.

Keep the rubber side down, and inflated.

:152:

Offline markymark11

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:10:51 AM
So glad you are all safe - I find drivers are particularly bad at the moment due to being let loose after a long while locked down indoors.

By the way, what do you call a group of Versys   ....is it Versyses, Versys's, Versys' or Versi ?  :008:
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:38 AM
Good to hear that you were able to avoid the idiot driver....as bikers we have to always expect the unexpected
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
So glad you are all safe - I find drivers are particularly bad at the moment due to being let loose after a long while locked down indoors.
I noticed the same. Car drivers are even more stupid than before :027:
During lockdown I've installed  on my scooter twin horns that sound really good (I believe that the fairings act as sound box). A couple of distracted drivers have already experienced how well they sound  :008:

Online TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 10:26:46 AM
Glad ya'll survived the moron.  Had a nail in a new tire and put a patch on the inside and 3,000 miles later, it hasn't leaked.

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:48:46 AM
Glad you were OK.

It's not just drivers either!

This is why everyone should have a dashcam...

:172:  :172:  :172:

That all happened in a couple of seconds. She stepped out from behind a lamp post without looking. Fortunately she clocked me just before I would have hit her.

Also, I was only doing just over 30 mph in a 40 zone. If I had been doing closer to the limit  :5:

She admitted that it was completely her fault: I was just relieved not to have splattered her.
Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:00:52 AM by Sir Rupert
Socially distant since 1954.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 03:32:21 PM
Ive noticed the worst driving i have ever experienced during the lock down ...be extra careful out there .

waggish