Author Topic: quick shifter removal  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
quick shifter removal
on: June 01, 2020, 05:04:56 PM
Just removed it this afternoon, I know i could have just turned it off but i didn't like the spongy pedal, anyhow , just had a quick ride round the block and it feels like i want it, The only problem though now, even though i turned it off from the menu before i removed it, it's put the KQS warning light on and the KQS is flashing. I presume ill have to nip over to my dealer and get them to plug into the ecu and disable it. It might reset itself maybe as it does with the ABS/traction control after 3 rides. The other option i have is to plug it back in and simply tape it up inside the fairing, there's plenty of room.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: quick shifter removal
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 07:55:26 PM
Maybe a patch of electrical tape over the flashing light Peter   :008:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:20:21 PM
might just do that rog but to be honest , it doesn't bother me. A trip to see Alan and Clive might be a run out next week if its still on.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:46:01 PM
My vote is for the tape... :002:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:47:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
might just do that rog but to be honest , it doesn't bother me. A trip to see Alan and Clive might be a run out next week if its still on.

Well if it still needs fixing and they can't do it then nobody can   :169:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 10:07:53 AM
I cant see it being a problem.

Offline TSloper

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Sorrento, FL
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 04:47:19 AM
If KQS is disabled I fail to see how removing the sensor changes anything at all. The transmission is a purely mechanical shift. All KQS does is momentarily cut power to allow the transmission to shift properly. Itís the same net effect as cutting power by disengaging the clutch momentarily. Now you have the bike in an abnormal operating mode. I would be shocked if the dealer had any ability to disable that sensor. Who knows what this sensor failure is affecting elsewhere.

*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
Just removed it this afternoon, I know i could have just turned it off but i didn't like the spongy pedal, anyhow , just had a quick ride round the block and it feels like i want it, The only problem though now, even though i turned it off from the menu before i removed it, it's put the KQS warning light on and the KQS is flashing. I presume ill have to nip over to my dealer and get them to plug into the ecu and disable it. It might reset itself maybe as it does with the ABS/traction control after 3 rides. The other option i have is to plug it back in and simply tape it up inside the fairing, there's plenty of room.

Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:49:02 AM by TSloper

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:03:55 AM
The spongy feeling comes from the black tube in the picture. That's replaced by a solid rod as on the LT version.  What is in the picture is not fitted to the base model. If you bought the quick shifter as an optional extra from Kawasaki this is what you would get.
You can move each threaded bit independently very slightly, that's where the spongy feeling comes from and where the switch is that cuts the ignition.
Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:10:05 AM by Floydsz1