Author Topic: Canadian Mountain Tour  (Read 549 times)

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: Canadian Mountain Tour
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 12:45:46 AM
Is that a pelican case on your bike. If so, I have one like it that I've been thinking of using and would be interested in your mounting setup

Not a Pelican case but very similar ...Mounting the case is simple i just bolted it onto the stock rack ....... .Center the case on the rack , make sure the seat has room to be removed with the case mounted.
I duct taped the case to the rack just on the edges  to hold it steady, used a white paint marker up through the slots in the rack to mark the case where i would drill the holes .
Removed the case and drilled the holes (four) and used bolts ,washers and locking nuts to fasten the drilled case to the rack.

:Check the position of the case on the rack with a tape measure before you tape it to the rack and when you mark the case with the white paint marker.
: The mounting points should be far enough apart so that the case has good support .
:Use fender washers on the inside of the case to give strength in that area.
: I used 3/8 Diameter.. bolts the length can vary so check the case thickness and the rack depth to determine the length needed including the locking nut and washers .

Cheers
Keener

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 12:54:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
Is that a pelican case on your bike. If so, I have one like it that I've been thinking of using and would be interested in your mounting setup

Not a Pelican case but very similar ...Mounting the case is simple i just bolted it onto the stock rack ....... .Center the case on the rack , make sure the seat has room to be removed with the case mounted.
I duct taped the case to the rack just on the edges  to hold it steady, used a white paint marker up through the slots in the rack to mark the case where i would drill the holes .
Removed the case and drilled the holes (four) and used bolts ,washers and locking nuts to fasten the drilled case to the rack.

:Check the position of the case on the rack with a tape measure before you tape it to the rack and when you mark the case with the white paint marker.
: The mounting points should be far enough apart so that the case has good support .
: I used 3/8 Diameter.. bolts the length can vary so check the case thickness and the rack depth to determine the length needed including the locking nut and washers .

Cheers
Keener
I'm going to do that very thing tomorrow. Thanks for the tips. I think installing these in the case holes that I drill, along  with a little silicone will aid in keeping it waterproof also

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:26 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed that, Keener. Your photos really do the landscapes justice, much better than most.

:028: :028:

Rob.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 04:45:03 AM
thank you uralrob , there were to be more pics as i had taken many, but my camera and the laptop are not getting on at the moment , if i can figure it out i will post more pictures .
cheers
Keener

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 06:39:16 PM

Not a Pelican case but very similar ...

Harbor freight sells their own brand, 'Apache".  They seem to work well as a general case, the largest might make a decent small top case, especially at $55.

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 07:21:49 PM

Cheers
Keener
Got it mounted . I used 4 of those thick rubber grommets and snugged it down on those so there is some wiggle to it. I didn't really want to tighten it right down onto the rack. This way I can loosen the bolts and slide it ahead in the rack slots if I want to take the seat off.

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 01:41:14 AM

The roads are brilliant with many elevation changes ..Rain played against taking decent pictures but when it cleared up i came up with a few ...
Next we road through the Monshanee pass and up into Valemont just out side of Jasper Alberta

Mount Robson ...highest peak in Canada

Hope you liked this short but fun tour , More to come when we return home .

Amazing geography. Greta Pix. Have not seen Mt Robson. Beautiful.

waggish