Author Topic: Problem when starting the bike from cold  (Read 281 times)

Offline Spike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versey 1000
  • City / Town: Guernsey
Problem when starting the bike from cold
on: June 29, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
Hi

Over the last few weeks this has been getting progressevly worse. I go out to the bike in the morning and normally I could roll it off the drive start it and away I go. I do this as I start work at 4 am so leaving the house at 3.30 am trying not to wake the neighbours as I live in a small cul de sac. but now I have noticed that I cannot do this as soon as I touch the throttle it cuts out,  bit like the choke is not on, bike will start, idle and then the revs will increase as though the auto choke is coming on but not straight away and then I can ride off once the revs have increased. this takes around 10 to 15 seconds

I have recently changed the air filter, as part of the service and also a new set of plugs.  Oil and filter change.  It was doing this before I did all this as I thought that might have been the problem.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this to happen. Neighbours are loving me at the moment.

Cheers

One Life, Live It

Online Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Re: Problem when starting the bike from cold
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 04:15:52 PM
Sounds to me that possibly one of the sensors is not working properly,  possibly  either the one in the exhaust in front of the cat, and there is one that goes into the airbox.  I'd firstly unplug them and give the connections a good clean. The one in the exhaust  could be breaking down but theres not a lot you can do with it apart from fit a new one., and it might not be that.  Check that its fully screwed in , if you take it out dont mess or touch the end. Apart from that it's going to be a matter of plugging into kawasaki software at a dealer.

Offline Scarecrow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Prudhoe NE England
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:14:13 PM
can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition?

Offline Spike

• Versys Member
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 05:40:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
Sounds to me that possibly one of the sensors is not working properly,  possibly  either the one in the exhaust in front of the cat, and there is one that goes into the airbox.  I'd firstly unplug them and give the connections a good clean. The one in the exhaust  could be breaking down but theres not a lot you can do with it apart from fit a new one., and it might not be that.  Check that its fully screwed in , if you take it out dont mess or touch the end. Apart from that it's going to be a matter of plugging into kawasaki software at a dealer.

Thanks for that info. I will check them out at the weekend. (the neighbours will just have to have an early wake up call)
One Life, Live It

Offline Spike

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 05:41:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Scarecrow [+]
can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition?

I will listen for that tomorrow morning
One Life, Live It

Offline Spike

• Versys Member
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:38:00 PM
Up-date, bike is in at the dealer for them to take a look tomorrow (friday)

One Life, Live It

waggish