Author Topic: SW Motech vs. Iconic GPS Mounts for 2019+ (I tried both)  (Read 797 times)

Offline SantaFeTrailer

• Versys Member
  • Back to Being a Newb
  • Bike: 2019V1000
  • City / Town: Santa Fe
I ordered the SW Motech GPS mount from TT. It was backordered, and I finally got tired of waiting and ordered the Iconic mount. Once I did that, I went to TT to cancel and found out that it had just shipped. So, I got to try both. My impressions:

SW Motech. Very solid piece of kit. What it has that the Iconic doesn't is vibration reduction mounts and a quick release feature. The bike is so smooth (as in, the mirrors actually work!) that I don't see the need for the vibe reduction, and the TomTom I use already has a built in quick disconnect, so those features don't really make the difference for me. It is reasonably easy to mount. The captive nuts are a tad fiddly, but otherwise it mounts up easily and solidly, and works well in practice. With the additional quick disconnect mount the whole thing extends fairly far off the dashboard.

The Iconic is maybe a bit thinner metal, but still plenty solid. It has a nice etched "Versys" on it. Because it doesn't have the extras on the mount it sits closer to the dash, which I like. Mounting is definitely fiddly (even says exactly that in the directions). They suggest removing the top fairing cover, and what I realized is once you do that it's an additional 45 seconds to remove 4 screws and take off the entire window mount frame, which makes installing the fiddly little screw backer pieces *much* easier. One caution: the said to use 2 washers on the bottom to avoid interference with the windshield adjuster. I had to use 4 (of course I noticed after I reinstalled everything). This mount works well also.

Honestly, these are both well made units and I would be happy with either. I think I will stick with the Iconic, just because the install is a little cleaner.

Hope this was helpful.

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Re: SW Motech vs. Iconic GPS Mounts for 2019+ (I tried both)
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:10:38 AM
*Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer [+]
I ordered the SW Motech GPS mount from TT. It was backordered, and I finally got tired of waiting and ordered the Iconic mount. Once I did that, I went to TT to cancel and found out that it had just shipped. So, I got to try both. My impressions:

SW Motech. Very solid piece of kit. What it has that the Iconic doesn't is vibration reduction mounts and a quick release feature. The bike is so smooth (as in, the mirrors actually work!) that I don't see the need for the vibe reduction, and the TomTom I use already has a built in quick disconnect, so those features don't really make the difference for me. It is reasonably easy to mount. The captive nuts are a tad fiddly, but otherwise it mounts up easily and solidly, and works well in practice. With the additional quick disconnect mount the whole thing extends fairly far off the dashboard.

The Iconic is maybe a bit thinner metal, but still plenty solid. It has a nice etched "Versys" on it. Because it doesn't have the extras on the mount it sits closer to the dash, which I like. Mounting is definitely fiddly (even says exactly that in the directions). They suggest removing the top fairing cover, and what I realized is once you do that it's an additional 45 seconds to remove 4 screws and take off the entire window mount frame, which makes installing the fiddly little screw backer pieces *much* easier. One caution: the said to use 2 washers on the bottom to avoid interference with the windshield adjuster. I had to use 4 (of course I noticed after I reinstalled everything). This mount works well also.

Honestly, these are both well made units and I would be happy with either. I think I will stick with the Iconic, just because the install is a little cleaner.

Hope this was helpful.

:762: :762: :762:

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:49:26 AM
As a follow up to anyone who *recently* purchased and Iconic Sat Nav Mount they admittedly had an issue with a batch of the inside brackets that the mount bolts into. The holes were tapped askew. You can tell if you have bad ones by laying the bracket down on a flat surface and screw in one of the bolts. It should sit roughly at the 12 o'clock position. If you have a bad one it will sit at the 11 or 1 o'clock position depending on which way you are looking at it. It is not slight and very apparent.

I tried to follow up with them but maybe my US expectation toward post purchase communication chapped Jamie and he just refunded my money without sending correctly tapped brackets or even asking for me to return it. I was the one that alerted him of the cross threading problem and a week or so later when he finally came around to realizing the plates were way askew he had already pissed me off.

If you have the same issue that I did, cross threading due to the defect, don't waste your time trying to get the correctly drilled brackets. He won't respond and it hurts his feelings and he has no expectation when he will have new ones.

I went to a vendor of mine and had them copy it and laser cut them in exchange for a cold beer. Took 15 minutes. He made six of them and I only needed two so if anyone needs a couple of new ones I will ship them anywhere. They work WAY better than if you got ones from the defective batch that came with the mount.

And if you are thinking of purchasing a mount from them I would as the mount itself is a quality product. But included hardware I got looked like it was produced by Ray Charles. No worries you can just PM me and I will send you a couple of straight pieces. I have two extra sets.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: SHANKS'S PONY !
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 06:41:13 AM
*Originally Posted by TQ_PDX [+]
As a follow up to anyone who *recently* purchased and Iconic Sat Nav Mount they admittedly had an issue with a batch of the inside brackets that the mount bolts into. The holes were tapped askew. You can tell if you have bad ones by laying the bracket down on a flat surface and screw in one of the bolts. It should sit roughly at the 12 o'clock position. If you have a bad one it will sit at the 11 or 1 o'clock position depending on which way you are looking at it. It is not slight and very apparent.

I tried to follow up with them but maybe my US expectation toward post purchase communication chapped Jamie and he just refunded my money without sending correctly tapped brackets or even asking for me to return it. I was the one that alerted him of the cross threading problem and a week or so later when he finally came around to realizing the plates were way askew he had already pissed me off.

If you have the same issue that I did, cross threading due to the defect, don't waste your time trying to get the correctly drilled brackets. He won't respond and it hurts his feelings and he has no expectation when he will have new ones.

I went to a vendor of mine and had them copy it and laser cut them in exchange for a cold beer. Took 15 minutes. He made six of them and I only needed two so if anyone needs a couple of new ones I will ship them anywhere. They work WAY better than if you got ones from the defective batch that came with the mount.

And if you are thinking of purchasing a mount from them I would as the mount itself is a quality product. But included hardware I got looked like it was produced by Ray Charles. No worries you can just PM me and I will send you a couple of straight pieces. I have two extra sets.

I think your comments are somewhat harsh....ok so they made a mistake in production, and they didn't respond in the manner that you expected, but there are several others on here (myself included) who are satisfied with this product.

I do know someone who knows this company very well and he previously advised me that they have a background in F1 engineering, so I guess they can't be all that bad, it was pretty much on that basis that I originally recommended them to this forum

It's a shame when we have a bad experience with any product, but it can, and does, happen. I'm sure that Iconic will rectify this issue
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 07:18:55 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I think your comments are somewhat harsh....ok so they made a mistake in production, and they didn't respond in the manner that you expected, but there are several others on here (myself included) who are satisfied with this product.

I do know someone who knows this company very well and he previously advised me that they have a background in F1 engineering, so I guess they can't be all that bad, it was pretty much on that basis that I originally recommended them to this forum

It's a shame when we have a bad experience with any product, but it can, and does, happen. I'm sure that Iconic will rectify this issue

Thanks for your input Tyke. I was harsh. To clarify I sent him an email on a Wednesday asking to purchase two more brackets and I would pay for the shipping too. He replied he was going someplace for the weekend and would reply and get them out to me on Monday. On Tuesday I sent him a nice note asking if he had a chance to do it. Nothing. On Thursday I sent another, nothing, crickets. I started to follow him on FB and all the while he was posting pix of him out riding, organizing a new work bench and welding razor blades together with a new machine. That is when realized I was wasting my time and went and had them made myself. Problem solved

Then a week or so later in a review of Iconic I said great product but not good post purchase customer service and that the brackets that were included looked like they were tapped by Stevie Wonder which makes a very fiddled thing become even more apt to cross thread. Well after weeks and multiple ignored emails and just forgetting about it ole Jamie came alive with this:

Tom,

Thank you for you constructive review. Please understand that the worshop you see isnít Iconic parts it my business that supplied engineering subcontract services. The fact you see lots of activity in there is because itís a busy workshop working on many projects outside of anything to do with iconic parts. Iconic parts has the benifit of piggy backing off of it. Yes Iím very lucky to be in a position where I can do this.

The fact you have left a bad review at this point leaves me with little reason to address your problems as any damage to the parts business has been done...but as I always get things sorted I will get the parts out to you. It takes a while as I have to run a business and then juggle the parts business too. Itís not just a matter of grabbing a few parts and sending them. Theres obviously a reason it didnít go together correctly and it needs investigating.

The reason itís taken a while as we found out this week is the plates that you cross threaded were not tapped plumb straight. After investigating it looks like they sat up in the milking machine a bit so the tap went in on the piss. Rather than send you out more crappy parts we are remaking fresh ones now we know the issue.

We have sold a lot of these and yes they are fiddly you fit but blame Kawasaki for making a bloody ridiculous screen mechanism. This is the most rigid mount on the market once fitted correctly and out of say 200 of these we have made we have only had a handful that need some extra guidance to get there install sweet and we have only had two returned as far as I can recal.

So...

Now you can either sit tight and get the parts you have ordered, this will be next week sometime. Send back the part you have and we will refund you or walk away and say no more.

Your choice.

Best Regards
Jamie Clare

Now I am a guy sitting for weeks with a mount that does not work, a promise to get them out to me, then crickets and no response at all to multiple follow ups and then only this weeks later when they get an honest review of their show? Sorry but I call it like it is:

"This is a great product but don't infuriate yourself with trying to work out the "crappy" brackets. PM me and I will send you correctly drilled ones." Harsh yes. 100% an experience different from a US company, yes. And what is really the zinger? He did not post the review on his site. Now that is downright slimy. May be an F1 guy, but this parts business is a hobby to him. He answers all emails and inquiries and it is on the back burner. And when kicked he flushes a negative review and lets the client who has been waiting for weeks know that they just need to be more understanding of his situation.

Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:43:18 PM by TQ_PDX

Offline Ben

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2020SE V1K
  • City / Town: N/E of France
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:40:18 PM
Hi,

I just discover this thread...

I ordered the Iconic last week (July 26th). Received the parcel beg. of this week, and mounted it without any problem.

I've bolted a SP-connec bike set for my smartphone on the Iconic plate. Works perfectly.

Ben

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 07:56:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Ben [+]
Hi,

I just discover this thread...

I ordered the Iconic last week (July 26th). Received the parcel beg. of this week, and mounted it without any problem.

I've bolted a SP-connec bike set for my smartphone on the Iconic plate. Works perfectly.

Ben

"The fact you have left a bad review at this point leaves me with little reason to address your problems as any damage to the parts business has been done."

If you said something like that as US company after you screwed the pooch? Whew.... You would be Google and Yelp reviewed to death. Unacceptable. And to hold back bad reviews and only post good ones? Holy moly......
Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:02:58 PM by TQ_PDX

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: SHANKS'S PONY !
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 08:06:31 PM
you may be surprised to learn that things are not that different here in the UK , we have standards too 

Its all about expectation, attitude and opinion...you have expressed yours  :002:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 08:24:04 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
you may be surprised to learn that things are not that different here in the UK , we have standards too 

Its all about expectation, attitude and opinion...you have expressed yours  :002:

You have respectfully expressed yours as well Sir. Thank you for your consistently professional candor. I have a lot to learn from someone like you.

But the main point is that I already have one set of brackets spoken for but still have one more set. Just let me know and I will ship it to you. Iconic refunded my money and I am trying to pay it forward.

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 08:40:24 PM
The second set has been spoken for.

waggish