Author Topic: SW Motech vs. Iconic GPS Mounts for 2019+ (I tried both)  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Guill1234

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 versus 100 se l
  • City / Town: Azusa ca usa
Re: SW Motech vs. Iconic GPS Mounts for 2019+ (I tried both)
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 06:10:38 AM
*Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer [+]
I ordered the SW Motech GPS mount from TT. It was backordered, and I finally got tired of waiting and ordered the Iconic mount. Once I did that, I went to TT to cancel and found out that it had just shipped. So, I got to try both. My impressions:

SW Motech. Very solid piece of kit. What it has that the Iconic doesn't is vibration reduction mounts and a quick release feature. The bike is so smooth (as in, the mirrors actually work!) that I don't see the need for the vibe reduction, and the TomTom I use already has a built in quick disconnect, so those features don't really make the difference for me. It is reasonably easy to mount. The captive nuts are a tad fiddly, but otherwise it mounts up easily and solidly, and works well in practice. With the additional quick disconnect mount the whole thing extends fairly far off the dashboard.

The Iconic is maybe a bit thinner metal, but still plenty solid. It has a nice etched "Versys" on it. Because it doesn't have the extras on the mount it sits closer to the dash, which I like. Mounting is definitely fiddly (even says exactly that in the directions). They suggest removing the top fairing cover, and what I realized is once you do that it's an additional 45 seconds to remove 4 screws and take off the entire window mount frame, which makes installing the fiddly little screw backer pieces *much* easier. One caution: the said to use 2 washers on the bottom to avoid interference with the windshield adjuster. I had to use 4 (of course I noticed after I reinstalled everything). This mount works well also.

Honestly, these are both well made units and I would be happy with either. I think I will stick with the Iconic, just because the install is a little cleaner.

Hope this was helpful.

I ordered the motech but have a question. You mentioned vibration dampeners? Can you tell me which parts does the dampening? I thought there would be some sort of rubber washer for that.
Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:16:43 AM by Guill1234

Offline SantaFeTrailer

• Versys Pro
  • Back to Being a Newb
  • Bike: 2019V1000
  • City / Town: Santa Fe
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 04:15:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Guill1234
I ordered the motech but have a question. You mentioned vibration dampeners? Can you tell me which parts does the dampening? I thought there would be some sort of rubber washer for that.

Correct, it is a rubber isolation pad

Offline Guill1234

• Versys Member
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 04:04:11 AM
*Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer [+]
Correct, it is a rubber isolation pad

I installed the motech but didn't care for the wire and felt it locked my vision a little bit. I reverted back to the Kawasaki one.

Offline BigAlan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 01:20:07 PM
I have fitted the iconic above dash version, yes it is fiddley and yes they said it wobbled a bit with the tomtom power mount, by crikey it wobbled, so much so I had to take it off and create a 3mm thick plate to cover it completely including the mounts, had to turn down the spacers by the same 3mm so it all fitted, now it does not wobble.

Knowing what I know now I would have not ordered the mounting and gone the whole way and created one myself. But I guess the original one gave me the sizes etc.
Versys S Tourer, 2021

Offline Guill1234

• Versys Member
Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 06:00:53 PM
*Originally Posted by BigAlan [+]
I have fitted the iconic above dash version, yes it is fiddley and yes they said it wobbled a bit with the tomtom power mount, by crikey it wobbled, so much so I had to take it off and create a 3mm thick plate to cover it completely including the mounts, had to turn down the spacers by the same 3mm so it all fitted, now it does not wobble.

Knowing what I know now I would have not ordered the mounting and gone the whole way and created one myself. But I guess the original one gave me the sizes etc.

I'm glad I opted back to the Kawasaki GPS mount. The drawback is you have to look down a bit, but the motech one impedes a little bit of your view of the road when installed above the dash.

Offline BigAlan

• Versys Pro
Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 06:25:11 PM
I would love to try the Handlebar mount “just to see” but I suspect keep looking down would bug me.

I ought to get a used bracket and try to find out for sure.
Versys S Tourer, 2021

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2021, 06:54:13 PM
I have a new kawasaki  handlebar mount still in its box, but i decided to use the iconic mount , i didnt want to look down either.

Offline BigAlan

• Versys Pro
Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 07:23:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
I have a new kawasaki  handlebar mount still in its box, but i decided to use the iconic mount , i didnt want to look down either.

Indeed, although I am bluetoothed up in the helmet and get the instructions when I plan a route I sometimes have just the map on showing me road directions when I am making progress, that’s when I don’t want to look down to double check which way it goes.
Versys S Tourer, 2021

Offline Guill1234

• Versys Member
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 07:44:46 PM
The handlebar mount has two other pros in my opinion.  It is easier to reach and touch the screen, and the wire is  concealed down below, for a much cleaner installation.

I have the motech mount if anybody wants and lives in the US. I think half the price is very reasonable. I only used it for one ride.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: BMW R 1250 GS TE
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 08:06:01 PM
My Iconic mount with Garmin device was as solid as the proverbial  rock   :169: 

The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog