Author Topic: FNG round 2 questions.  (Read 775 times)

De Vaca, Bosco2020, jmason and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JEF.FREE.Ryder

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000
Re: FNG round 2 questions.
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 05:20:46 AM
Itís not as fast as 1043cc bike could be

It is a good amount  of power to be used on the streets.

I get to ride a GSXR 750.   Itís a lot faster than my versys

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:42:04 AM
*Originally Posted by JEF.FREE.Ryder [+]
Itís not as fast as 1043cc bike could be

It is a good amount  of power to be used on the streets.

I get to ride a GSXR 750.   Itís a lot faster than my versys

A gixxer has one purpose - to go fast for 1/2 hour and then you need a sauna

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:56:25 AM
7000' absolutely takes some of the punch out of the Versys 1000. There's a BIG difference with that much elevation.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 10:19:15 AM
Reduced oxygen in high altitudes can lead to inefficient, sluggish engine performance because there is less air to feed the internal combustion engine.

Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained.

This means you could be loosing as much as 20% of your V1k's horsepower at +7000 ft
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now on HOLD until Sept 2020

Offline Ace50

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: VA
Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:38:26 PM
Ya. I'd say altitude has a lot to say here. But this bike is a dog under 5K anyway. I wanted this bike because I thought it would be better (newer and F.I.)
than my ZRX1100, which I loved the engine on that. It's not. Kawasaki just made a SMOOTH all around bike. Which in some respects just makes it boring.

I really regret selling the Super Tenere. When you have the first 3 gear power restrictions removed.....WOW, gobs of torque all over, just no screaming power at top,
of which you normally don't use anyway except when in hooligan mode!

I think the new V1k being a sports tour bike is 'nice' but with the emphasis in 'tour'.

Offline Bigdog

• Versys Member
  • Bike: shopping for Versys
  • City / Town: Montrose CO
Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:56:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
7000' absolutely takes some of the punch out of the Versys 1000. There's a BIG difference with that much elevation.
Agreed, but that's what I ride everyday, so apples to apples to me, unless some bike are more "sensitive" than others, or are carbed.

Offline Bigdog

• Versys Member
Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:00:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Ace50 [+]
Ya. I'd say altitude has a lot to say here. But this bike is a dog under 5K anyway. I wanted this bike because I thought it would be better (newer and F.I.)
than my ZRX1100, which I loved the engine on that. It's not. Kawasaki just made a SMOOTH all around bike. Which in some respects just makes it boring.

I really regret selling the Super Tenere. When you have the first 3 gear power restrictions removed.....WOW, gobs of torque all over, just no screaming power at top,
of which you normally don't use anyway except when in hooligan mode!

I think the new V1k being a sports tour bike is 'nice' but with the emphasis in 'tour'.
You are the first person to say power is low in the lower revs. That's what I really felt. But I am coming off twins and triples for the past 15 years. (KTM and Suzuki twins, not Harley)
The emphasis on this bike for is tour,, so maybe I learn to work around that low RPM performance. I have also noticed that decating (and flashing ECU if needed) can really wake up a sluggish bike in the low revs.

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:29:52 PM
"I don't want a loud bike, just a fast one!"

I am a true New Guy to riding in general. Four observations I think I have noticed on the 19' that may be pertinent to your inquiries?

- Smooth as silk through the low and mid gears.

- Not going to win ANY drag races off the line.

- Altitude has little to no effect at 7000 feet. Have not been over 10000 but up to there she feels roughly the same.

- Once you get the her up to 60 mph? 80-90 mph is WAY quicker to obtain than going from 0-30 mph.

So if you are looking for a "fast" bike the Versys can get you only half way there?

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:38:51 PM
I never considered the Versys 1000 to be a bike designed for speed, but as an 'all rounder' capable of comfortable touring and enjoyable weekend fun.

To compare the Versys 1000 with more focused sports bikes proves little to me   :notsure:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Bigdog

• Versys Member
Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 08:05:07 PM
*Originally Posted by TQ_PDX [+]
"I don't want a loud bike, just a fast one!"

I am a true New Guy to riding in general. Four observations I think I have noticed on the 19' that may be pertinent to your inquiries?

- Smooth as silk through the low and mid gears.

- Not going to win ANY drag races off the line.

- Altitude has little to no effect at 7000 feet. Have not been over 10000 but up to there she feels roughly the same.

- Once you get the her up to 60 mph? 80-90 mph is WAY quicker to obtain than going from 0-30 mph.

So if you are looking for a "fast" bike the Versys can get you only half way there?
Good input, thanks

The motor character may not be perfect for me, but relative lightweight and comfort, handling, wind protection, etc. tick all the sport touring boxes for me. I DO NOT want a FJR/concours, etc. Been there.

I found very clean 2017 with topcase for a fair price, and will look into shipping it. Too weird and hot right now for a fly and ride....

waggish