Author Topic: FNG round 2 questions.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Re: FNG round 2 questions.
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 10:07:57 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I never considered the Versys 1000 to be a bike designed for speed, but as an 'all rounder' capable of comfortable touring and enjoyable weekend fun.

To compare the Versys 1000 with more focused sports bikes proves little to me   :notsure:

:762:

Offline De Vaca

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 versys 1000
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 11:06:19 PM
I’ve had two Versys 1000’s, and a Number of other bikes ranging from the Concours 14, FJR, Super Tenere, V Strom 1000, Suzuki gsx 1000, 1250 Bandit, etc. Both of mine have had plenty of power, are quite fast, are “quick to rev,” and quite exciting to ride. For an inline 4, the Versys and the Bandit have the most low and midrange power. Unlike the Bandit, the Versys pulls hard all the way to redline. I tour in the Rockies several times per year, and have noticed plenty of power fully loaded over 10,000 and 11,000 foot passes. I can’t explain the OP’s observations, except maybe he got a bad one.

Online jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 11:44:12 PM
Any chance you were riding in the reduced power mode?  The bike still runs pretty well, but it definitely has less power

As far as elevation is concerned, I've had my V1K up as high as 14,000 feet.  There is power loss, but it definitely didn't seem like 25% (8,000 feet above Denver x 3%).  Perhaps the narrow road, lack of guardrails, and steep dropoffs diverted my attention from power loss.

It still seems to ride quite nicely heading over most Colorado passes (10k-11k high). 

My son's TDM850 definitely gets sluggish at altitude with it's carb.

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 11:48:24 PM
For you Grammar polished blokes. "Versys" as a word still gets poked by the Spell Check? I suggest the addition of "Versys" to Merriam-Webster for 2021. But what would be the the "Definition" after the phonetic breakdown, and feel free to correct mine below:

VERSYS - ver.sis

Kawasaki's ........................................

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Portland, Oregon
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 12:06:17 AM
VERSYS - ver.sis

Versys® 1000 LT or Versys® 1000 SE LT+ motorcycle. With a 1,043cc engine, nimble chassis and comfort at its core, versatility and functionality is central in every facet. Confidently take to the road with a motorcycle thats as reliable as it is fun. Versys® 650 LT and Versys® 650 ABS motorcycles. Whether youre navigating city streets or tackling mile after mile of open highway, the Versys 650 LT and Versys 650 ABS are built for comfort.Versys®-X 300 is a nimble-handling lightweight motorcycle thats ready to take on any size adventure. Whether youre commuting or touring, the Versys-X 300 is a willing companion. With a lightweight chassis and long-travel suspension, the possibilities are endless.

PLAGARISM!!!

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 02:03:58 AM
*Originally Posted by De Vaca [+]
I’ve had two Versys 1000’s, and a Number of other bikes ranging from the Concours 14, FJR, Super Tenere, V Strom 1000, Suzuki gsx 1000, 1250 Bandit, etc. Both of mine have had plenty of power, are quite fast, are “quick to rev,” and quite exciting to ride. For an inline 4, the Versys and the Bandit have the most low and midrange power. Unlike the Bandit, the Versys pulls hard all the way to redline. I tour in the Rockies several times per year, and have noticed plenty of power fully loaded over 10,000 and 11,000 foot passes. I can’t explain the OP’s observations, except maybe he got a bad one.

I have to agree , and plus i find low end power more than adequate , and this is two up with gear  :027: I have ridden faster bikes but have not found the 1000 lacking and certainly not boring .
Stock gearing works for me and fourth and fifth from 4000 rpm can impress, i do think the engine has been designed to last but also it has a 10,000 rpm redline... i have been there and on the way up the bike pulled hard and felt as strong as i needed it to be .
Sixth gear can be used for cruising at speeds above 80 kph /50 mph.. A nice usable power band is evident with the V1. Perfect for sport touring  :039:
Short shifting  the bike still rewards you with a nice fat Torque curve ...as well.
Anyway..no issues here and my 2015 is basically stock .

Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:11:23 AM by Keener

Offline Bigdog

• Versys Member
  • Bike: shopping for Versys
  • City / Town: Montrose CO
Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 02:07:27 AM
*Originally Posted by jmason [+]
Any chance you were riding in the reduced power mode?  The bike still runs pretty well, but it definitely has less power

As far as elevation is concerned, I've had my V1K up as high as 14,000 feet.  There is power loss, but it definitely didn't seem like 25% (8,000 feet above Denver x 3%).  Perhaps the narrow road, lack of guardrails, and steep dropoffs diverted my attention from power loss.

It still seems to ride quite nicely heading over most Colorado passes (10k-11k high). 

My son's TDM850 definitely gets sluggish at altitude with it's carb.
Full Power for Sure (I toggled back and forth between F and L)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: SHANKS'S PONY !
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:22 AM
I have owned 4 GTR 1400s (Concourse) 2007, 2010, 2012 and a 2016 models, they are a stunning bike and I would have another today if it wasn't for the fact that I now need a lighter more manageable bike, plus |I don't tour the continent anymore, although the Versys 1000 has taken me across France in perfect comfort.

It should be born in mind that the GTR 1400 has a 5 speed gearbox with an 'Over Drive' 6th gear..it has 150+ bhp but weighs in at 279 Kg dry, so it's a relatively heavy bike

I have also owned a Super Tenere which was a fine bike but lacked a couple of cylinders for my taste, it was standard. I have never ridden an FJR or any type of KTM or Ducati so cannot comment/compare

I have also owned a ZZR1100 & ZZR 1400, several ZX9Rs and an Aprillia RSVR Mille Troy Corser Replica which was factory chipped, so I have experienced several 'fast bikes'

I also owned a 1981 TZ 250 ex G.P bike and before anyone thinks "oh it's only a 250" well let me tell you that thing was faaaaaast beyond many folks comprehension  :008:

I am now old enough to realise that my skills, reactions and physical abilities are not what they were, plus my biking requirements have mellowed over the years, but the standard Versys 1000 is still plenty fast enough for me, I accept that others want to improve or personalise their V1K , but I'm happy with mine just the way it is  :028:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog