Author Topic: Best mod so far...  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Stevieboy

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Stockport
Best mod so far...
on: August 07, 2020, 07:34:28 PM
I've had my 2019 SE around 3 months now and I'm settling into it really well. I've ridden around 3000 miles in that time and have gradually been making it mine with a few of the usual mods including fitting a PD oiler, 16/41 sprockets, bar risers, sat nav mount etc. Today I fitted a full Delkevic exhaust system and I reckon it's now pretty much perfect. I love the way the bike sounds now (with baffle in and no plans to remove it). I think it looks great and the bike certainly feels livelier. Banging up through the box using the quickshifter sounds amazing and the bike is really flying.

I'm hearing a pop from the exhaust as I change up from 2nd to 3rd that wasn't there before, which sounds nice but I'm concerned that this is a symptom of the bike running leaner with the new system on. Also, I reset the average mpg readout and although I only rode about 80 miles today, so not a very representative sample, the bike seems to be using less fuel. I was averaging 55mpg (UK) before and it seems to be closer to 60 after fitting the system. This sounds like good news but won't be if it means the engine is running too lean, which could lead to burnt valves etc in the longer run.

So this raises a question: does it take the ECU a while to adjust to the different gas flow readings from the O2 sensor since I fitted the system and will these "lean" symptoms disappear in time? Bear in mind this is a Mk 3 bike so at the moment as I understand it a revised tune is not yet available. Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy what is now a perfect bike for me?

Online sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Re: Best mod so far...
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:52:01 PM
That sure does look sharp.  That system with the baffle in may be more restrictive than the stock exhaust unless you drill out the baffle.  I drilled about 60 holes in my baffle with a 5/16" drill bit and it flows very well without being obnoxiously loud.

Offline Stevieboy

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:53:18 PM
It certainly doesn't feel as if the engine is being restricted at all. Surely removing the cat fitted in the original system will have a more positive effect than the negative of leaving the baffle in the new exhaust.

Online sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:02:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Stevieboy [+]
It certainly doesn't feel as if the engine is being restricted at all. Surely removing the cat fitted in the original system will have a more positive effect than the negative of leaving the baffle in the new exhaust.

I can see how you'd think that way (I did too) but Steve has proven this point on the dyno.  The factory cat is not very restrictive, and that baffle is costing you some HP. 

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:15 PM
This is the graph we got from mine (2019) on my mates dyno. We can't get into the ecu yet so this is standard map. I've fitted a delkevic front pipes ( no cat ) and a akrapovic silencer. The ideal fueling would be the straight dotted line in the bottom graph, its not perfect (unlike how we got it on my 2015) but it won't do any harm. yours should be similar stevieboy.

Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:24:18 PM by Floydsz1

Offline Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 01:38:20 AM
 The problem with looking at afr's on a dyno chart is that it ONLY shows the afr's at WOT, no other throttle setting. so for instance the pop on gear change... that's not WOT. Neither is cruising around. Folks need to wrap their heads around this concept.
  Based on my dyno work, I agree with Sweatmachine, you probably haven't gained any power as currently fitted. You really need a before and after dyno run to prove it out.
   That said, the popping you're getting was always there, but it was baffled by the cat. No cat - no baffling.
   That popping could be alleviated by a proper tune, deleting fuel cut and injecting enough fuel on decel to stop the popping. It's nothing to worry about though, because regardless of how lean it is, there is no throttle opening at that point, and therefore no cylinder pressure being built. There's nothing to damage the engine when it's lean under no no load.
    hope this helps
   Steve

Offline Stevieboy

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
Thanks for the reassurance guys, it's good to know I'm probably worrying about nothing. The bike certainly feels peppier with the new system but that wasn't the main reason I fitted it. I wanted the bike to sound more like a litre inline 4, lose a little weight and have a better, cleaner look. Any power gains are a bonus really. If and when the ECU is tuneable I would be interested in having a revised tune to try to maximise the AFR, not to necessarily gain more power - if that was the most important factor I would ride an S1000XR!

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 10:57:06 AM
I agree with you 100 % steve, i was just reassuring people that it doesn't need a remap and wont do any harm to the engine.

this is the graph we got from my 2015 afew years ago.

stock ecu but with can fitted

with decat pipe

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 11:02:35 AM
this was with the baffel removed. (red line).

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 11:11:27 AM
     this my 2015 . i called in to get him to check the fuelling etc. It wasnt connected to the ecu this time . This was with the cat removed and previously remapped

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFPLoMjeifHPGpJW8
Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:28:35 AM by Floydsz1

waggish