Author Topic: Wiring in a sat nav on a 2019 Mk3  (Read 424 times)

Offline Idlebiker

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF+Versys1000
  • City / Town: South Bucks
Wiring in a sat nav on a 2019 Mk3
on: September 15, 2020, 12:38:07 PM
Having just got a Tomtom Rider 50 sat nav and Iconic mount for my 2019 Mk3 GT, I went to Kawasaki Aylesbury to get a quote to wire it in, using the bikes spare switched connectors that I believe exist under the front panels somewhere. I donít really want to wire it direct to the battery. They said they hadnít done this before (!), so would have to find out where it could go, and that I would get very little change out of £180 (inc. Vat of course!). Plus they were booked up for weeks. Frankly Iím shocked at their lack of knowledge, not to mention the cost. Does anyone have a picture of this spare connection and what work is needed to get at it. If I canít do it myself, at least I can show a pic to my local independent dealer who is both honest and helpful. Is there a Ďbestí route for the wires to the mount? Cheers for any advice on this. It is appreciated.
ps. Why canít it just plug into the 12v socket in the instrument panel? Presumably adapters exist for this?
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:40:47 PM by Idlebiker

Offline SantaFeTrailer

• Versys Member
  • Back to Being a Newb
  • Bike: 2019V1000
  • City / Town: Santa Fe
Re: Wiring in a sat nav on a 2019 Mk3
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:37:08 PM
You can do it! (BTW, that appears to be $231 in freedom units). Need to carefully remove the left fairing, following the instructions. The connections are there. You can either plug into the bullet connectors or us Positaps, which is what I did.

Online Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:15:31 PM
It took me probably about an hour from start to finish, including going and making myself a brew, I used a pair of male and female connectors from an old wiring harness I had. Cost zero.just remove the panel the left indicator is fastened to and the 2 connecters are just behind a bracket. If they charge a minimum of £180  :5: to do the same job I might go back into the bike business.

Offline Idlebiker

• Versys Member
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:49:58 PM
Love this forum! Thanks SanteFe and Floydsz for your quick and v.useful advice and encouragement. Iíll definitely give it a go, and try to ďcarefullyĒ NOT break the fairing fasteners! Cheers.

Offline bradr

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:20:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Idlebiker [+]
ps. Why canít it just plug into the 12v socket in the instrument panel? Presumably adapters exist for this?

You should be able to do this, the current draw from the GPS would be low enough to not have any issues. That said, my big concern would be protection from the weather as it would be somewhat out in the open.  Whether that is an issue for you will depend on how often you ride in the rain and where you store the bike. If you decide to do this, I would recommend that you use dielectric grease on the connectors to be proactive and try and prevent corrosion.

Good luck getting it all setup.

Offline markymark11

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:30:07 AM
I don't have a MK3 yet but if you search the forum someone did a nice "how to" on removing MK3 fairings the other day which may also help. Forgive me but I forget who it was.

EDIT - It was Ben - see below thread.

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,21589.msg247974.html#msg247974
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:34:09 AM by markymark11
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline biscuit

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 1000 se
  • City / Town: dundas
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 04:44:40 PM
On my 2020 i used the bullet connectors behind the left side fairing . The shrouded connector is positive and unshrouded is negitive . Had ordered a gps mount from Iconic but wasn't going to arrive in time for a trip i was taking so i fabbed up a mount to locate it above gauges .  On the subject of mounts Denali auxilary light mounts that are listed as fitting 2015 and up DO NOT fit 2019/2020 as the fairing bracket they bolt to was changed and doesn't have the mounting tabs of the previous model . 
Some days i'm amazing other days i leave my keys in the fridge

Offline peejay69

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Tourer
  • City / Town: Rushden
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Idlebiker [+]
Having just got a Tomtom Rider 50 sat nav and Iconic mount for my 2019 Mk3 GT, I went to Kawasaki Aylesbury to get a quote to wire it in, using the bikes spare switched connectors that I believe exist under the front panels somewhere. I donít really want to wire it direct to the battery. They said they hadnít done this before (!), so would have to find out where it could go, and that I would get very little change out of £180 (inc. Vat of course!). Plus they were booked up for weeks. Frankly Iím shocked at their lack of knowledge, not to mention the cost. Does anyone have a picture of this spare connection and what work is needed to get at it. If I canít do it myself, at least I can show a pic to my local independent dealer who is both honest and helpful. Is there a Ďbestí route for the wires to the mount? Cheers for any advice on this. It is appreciated.

If you want to attempt this yourself, but arenít feeling confident, youíre in South Bucks, ride up to RUSHDEN and Iíll go through it with you. I have bullet connectors and crimp tool, soldering iron, heat shrink etc. and Iíve done it myself for my dash cam (to spare Kawasaki loom points), and my sat nav  (paralleled into back of 12v socket).

Let me know.

Offline Idlebiker

• Versys Member
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 09:03:04 PM
Well all the great advice has worked; Iíve managed to find all the fixings and get the two side panels off without breakage. The pictures that various authors have posted were extremely helpful, so Iíd heartily encourage whenever you experts do your own tricky repairs/installations, do share your knowledge with pictures. Youíll be doing a great service for us amateurs. Peejay, thanks for your brilliant offer, but as Iíve got this far, I reckon I can finish it. As Biscuit has told me the polarity of the two wires, Iíll just get some bullet connectors and the jobs a goodíun. My thanks to one and all.