Author Topic: 50.000 miles...Should I?  (Read 455 times)

Offline KOSTASAG

• Versys Newbie
50.000 miles...Should I?
on: September 15, 2020, 03:21:58 PM
Hello  :002:
Looking for some advice...Would you buy a second hand Versys 1000 2017 with 50.000,00 miles on it, considering (hopefully) it is well serviced?
Anything I should be worried about - check?

Thanks in advance

Offline TSloper

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Sorrento, FL
Re: 50.000 miles...Should I?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 03:45:23 PM
I wouldn't lead them with specific questions. Ask them generically what maintenance has been performed over the 50K miles. If they fail to mention valve adjustment and at what mileage I'd pass. Visually look over everything. Wouldn't even think about buying it without a test ride to validate brakes, clutch, transmission, etc.

Tim

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE
  • City / Town: VA
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:06:49 PM
*Originally Posted by TSloper [+]
I wouldn't lead them with specific questions. Ask them generically what maintenance has been performed over the 50K miles. If they fail to mention valve adjustment and at what mileage I'd pass. Visually look over everything. Wouldn't even think about buying it without a test ride to validate brakes, clutch, transmission, etc.

While I agree with this, it's a shot in the dark about getting accurate maintenance info on a bike. You don't know if they are lying or not.

One Triumph I looked at, the guy seemed proud that all maintenance was done by the dealer. Heck I see the as a detriment.
That just means the guy can't do anything and/or didn't take care of it himself. It rattled when I started it up. He didn't have clue.

I also just sold a bike, cheap, the guy said he would bring back some parts he didn't want on it (so I would drop the price more) AND I lent him a strap
to tie it down in his truck.....never heard from him again or would respond to my messages......ass_hole.
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:12:09 PM by Ace50

Offline markymark11

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 08:11:19 AM
I would just add that Versys' engines can do 100k plus miles (see other threads) if they are well maintained, BUT bear in mind the whole bike has done that mileage so that includes wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, chain / sprocket, brake calipers, rear shock and front fork oil / condition, master cylinders etc etc - as previously mentioned do as many checks as you can, go through the complete service history and definitely TEST RIDE before you buy. Good luck.
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:30:34 AM

All sound comments.

The only thing to add is that in negotiating the purchase price be sure to allow yourself a cushion to attend to things about the bike that you won't discover until you've got to know it a bit.
 It would be unusual to find a bike with that mileage that needs no money spending on it to get it up to your spec. Budget for it and if indeed the bike does turn out to be near perfect you've got yourself a road trip with the money put aside  :37: .

Rob.