Author Topic: Regular vs premium  (Read 919 times)

Offline Deramore

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2020 1000 SE
Re: Regular vs premium
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 06:51:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
   This ^^^

Deramore -  The versys1000 DOES NOT have a knock sensor, the part you located was for the supercharged H2, which really needs a knock sensor.
   Steve

I knew I was getting into deep water! Thanks for the correction. But I’ll still go ahead with my experiment 😀

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 03:22:48 PM
*Originally Posted by wwb [+]
  The exception is any vehicle where there is a knock sensor, and the spark timing is controlled by the ECU rather than mechanically.  In this case, the ECU will advance the spark a bit more with high octane fuel than with lower octane fuel, resulting in a small performance increase.

Incorrect... ignition timing is programmed as a fixed value based on load and RPM.  Knock sensors can instruct the ECU to retard timing, but not to advance timing.

Running a higher than needed octane will produce no benefit to anyone but the oil companies.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 05:47:40 PM
So simple   :756:

Regular vs premium
  $         vs    $$$
  €         vs    €€€
  £         vs    £££
  ¥         vs    ¥¥¥
Speed, consumption, fun, engine ware, sound..... no difference.  :039: Pay less and ride further  :biker3:

Offline wwb

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT SE+
  • City / Town: MANITOWOC, WI
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 08:05:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Incorrect... ignition timing is programmed as a fixed value based on load and RPM.  Knock sensors can instruct the ECU to retard timing, but not to advance timing.

Running a higher than needed octane will produce no benefit to anyone but the oil companies.

I'll take your word for it.  The only system I've worked with had the ecu constantly adjusting timing... this was in a dyno test bay.  Not sure if the same system was used in production engines or not.

Online Claude

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 V1 & 2007 MT01
  • City / Town: Trois-Rivières
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Incorrect... ignition timing is programmed as a fixed value based on load and RPM. Knock sensors can instruct the ECU to retard timing, but not to advance timing.
Also my opinion on every points.