Author Topic: Wiring fog lights for a novice  (Read 739 times)

Offline Wesley

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
Wiring fog lights for a novice
on: September 28, 2020, 08:10:08 PM
I've had a 2015 Versys 1000 for a year now and would like to add some aftermarket fog lights.  Full disclosure--I have no idea how to do this.  I've spent a number of hours already over the past couple of weeks using the search function on this forum and reading through threads of what others have done with fog lights, but I'm still unclear.

Wondering if it is possible to wire these lights up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Bright-4-INCH-Cree-LED-Fog-Lights-Spot-Flood-Combo-Bumper-Driving-Pods-Bar/293315853268

If they would work, I would mount them on SW Motech crash bars.  But I'm unsure of how to wire them or of what/or where they wiring into.  Do they plug in to the main wiring harness somewhere (presumably behind the upper fairing/headlights)?  Or, would wires need to be cut from the main harness and splice them together with the fog light wires?  Or, would a sub-harness need to be purchased from Kawasaki (part #26031-1756) so it can plug in somewhere--and the fog lights wired to that sub-harness?   :187:

I apologize for my lack of electrical understanding.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Re: Wiring fog lights for a novice
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 06:32:12 PM
I have always used a harness like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Light-Wiring-Harness-Switch/dp/B00EZ9Y33W/   I mount the switch on the inside of the left handguard, which makes it easy to see the red (off) or green (on) light, and I can reach the button with my index finger.

It come with way too much wiring - about 10 feet, but there was enough room under the seat of both my 650 and V1K so I did not try to cut down the length.

All you need to do is hook the ground wire to ground, and the hot power switch to a SWITCHED wire or fuse.  I am pretty sure I tapped into my tail light.

I'm pretty sure I researched using the existing foglight circuit on my V1K, but felt it was easier to just tap into the tail light! 

If no one else provides any help, I can probably get some pictures of the harness and the wiring.
Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:34:32 PM by jmason

Offline solidback

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 07:53:55 PM
There are many wiring diagrams available online showing how to connect auxilliary lights.
If you are determined to install them yourself, you will have to decide how you want them to function (permanently on, or switchable, wired to low or high beam) then ensure that you understand which components and connections are required to achieve this.
It's not rocket science, but it's a long way from changing a bulb.
I could tell you how I wired mine up, but unless you have a reasonable understanding of electrics, it won't help.
With all due respect, whilst it's good to be able to do this sort of mod yourself, it's sometimes better to give the job to someone who knows exactly what they are doing.
I'm happy to help you out if you want to fit them yourself, as will be others on the forum, but it would probably be better to do it by PM or E Mail.
Not trying to piss on your chips, just don't want to see you in a mess.

Offline markymark11

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:38 AM
I totally agree with solidback, that said, depending on your budget the standard Kawasaki OEM kit is pretty straight forward, goes together well, has good instructions and is designed for your bike, part number 99994-0487.

Yes it is expensive and there are cheaper alternatives, but it is the best looking solution, possibly helps increase the value of your bike. (just my opinion) and matches the bike perfectly with all the looms and switches.

There are fitting video's on you tube and other members can help, it is OK to do with just a modicom of mechanical know how (removing the fairing following the Garshman guide on this forum) being the only challenge.

I understand cheaper is always preferable but in this case you are not talking about too much money for the neat, tidy and good looking outcome. Good luck.

Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 07:42:34 AM by markymark11
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline Hades

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Petaling Jaya
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 10:03:43 AM
I added my auxiliary spotlights by tapping onto the USB power lines on the left.

That one USB power lines is powering my USB charger + voltmeter (after market ) and also my handguard lights.

Good thing is those power lines are already fused from factory. 12 V is more than enough to run several LED light, except horns. 

Offline Wesley

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 04:26:33 PM
Thanks for the responses.  Good points to consider as I don't want to end up in a mess or screw things up.  Will definitely research and learn up on things a bit more before making any decisions and purchases.

Offline solidback

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:31:57 PM
Good decision, when you're ready to go you will get all the help you need from the folks here.

Offline jmason

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON, CO
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 06:21:15 PM
To follow up on MarkyMark11 above, here is the Fog Lamp Factory OEM instructions.  Not much electricals to worry about other than hooking up the supplied sub harness, etc.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Uploads/Accessories/999940487/ii_999940487.pdf

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:20:09 PM
I installed a Denali D4 kit on my Versys, and I love it.  I ran the power directly to the battery and tapped the + trigger into the wiring for the factory grip warmer connection which is conveniently located under the left top cover (just above/to the left of the tank, under your clutch lever).  I also used the wires to power my Adaptive radar detector.  It's switched power and is rated for more amps than your lights will draw.

I'll try to dig up a photo.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:11:29 PM
Pictures as promised.  If you remove the clutch side top fairing piece (just over the gas tank, under the clutch lever) you will find this connector (at least I did on my 2017). 

It is wired and fused for 12v switched power.  It will handle your lights easily.  You could tap into it, or find a suitable connector to plug right in.