Author Topic: Regular v Premium: The Result  (Read 1857 times)

Offline TQ_PDX

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 19 V1K SE LT
  • City / Town: Pacific Northwest
Re: Regular v Premium: The Result
Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 01:05:13 AM
If you have problems finding Non Ethanol fuel in the US any Marina that has fuel for boats has Non Ethanol fuel. "Marine Fuel" is just Non Ethanol fuel. Hopefully you won't need to roll down on the dock to get it. But if you are putting your bike away for the winter and have a good sized gas can you can just walk down to the dock and fill it up.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 02:51:15 AM
I live in Asia.  In Thailand, I have no issue with finding non-ethanol fuel.  I would especially advise to put non-ethanol fuel when storing the bike, because with ethanol deteriorates very fast (I read somewhere that it breaks down in 1month) and as it was pointed out, it is hydroscopic.
Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:10:35 AM by kris

Offline woodman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys1000
  • City / Town: Mountain Home
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 11:39:41 AM
Near the end of riding season I use non-ethanol fuel because I know my bike will be sitting longer during cold weather. All my off road and lawn equipment gets non ethanol for the same reason.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 12:48:23 PM
I have never used non eth fuel and have never had a problem.  If one of my bikes is going to sit for a month, I just leave it with a full tank.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 12:50:45 PM
*Originally Posted by woodman [+]
Near the end of riding season I use non-ethanol fuel because I know my bike will be sitting longer during cold weather. All my off road and lawn equipment gets non ethanol for the same reason.

Well, from your video we know Lucas fuel stabilizer does not work,but I can tell you from experience, that Star Tron does...

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 04:52:39 PM
best for storage is to ge non-ethanol fuel.  it can last 'forever' without any stabiliser. but I add anyway some stabiliser, just in case:).

i have sta-bill.  if it works or not, it is difficult to test. https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B000B68V6I

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 09:47:45 PM
*Originally Posted by kris [+]
best for storage is to ge non-ethanol fuel.  it can last 'forever' without any stabiliser. but I add anyway some stabiliser, just in case:).

i have sta-bill.  if it works or not, it is difficult to test. https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B000B68V6I

The problem with your suggestion is that its  ethanol or nothing where I live....the good news is that in over 25 years and counting  I've not once had any issues with a fuel system due to ethanol use. 

Use a quality stabilizer to treat  fuel that will be sitting for a while and you wont have issues.
Its not the boogie man some people make it out to be.

Online Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 11:20:14 PM
Actually  Crosshairs .... there is quite a boogeyman there in ethanol  :007: 
Being very close to the petroleum industry in Canada and the USA I speak from some authority ...no sneer intended towards you.. but you may not have all the info as to Ethanol and its  so called attributes.
Cheers
Keener

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 03:09:33 AM

". but you may not have all the info as to Ethanol and its  so called attributes."

It would be interesting to hear more detail, Keener, if you can provide it without revealing trade secrets or jeopardizing your job.

Online Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 05:20:22 AM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

". but you may not have all the info as to Ethanol and its  so called attributes."

It would be interesting to hear more detail, Keener, if you can provide it without revealing trade secrets or jeopardizing your job.

Well i have no job  :016: retired since last year Sept  ... but ethanol and its story is pretty much all out there , some truths on the net and also in publication , the real short story is simple and the simple question is why would you need to add ethanol to gasoline , what is its real purpose as a additive and how much money is it worth as an industry ?
Why produce a fuel that is inferior to gasoline in the first place ,and how happy are the corn growers and the lobbyists to the decision of the governments to go ahead with mandating that it is in your gasoline .

Others may have a different view point and that is fair but because of its political as well as it affiliation with  the all mighty buck ,i do not think its worthwhile to go forward on this site because its really not motorcycle related other than it should be avoided if possible and especially with older vintage models .

And thats all i got to say about that

cheers
Keener
Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:23:11 AM by Keener