Author Topic: Major Transmission Fail  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: Major Transmission Fail
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:31:57 PM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Great find, Keener  :37: .

Subtitles would have helped  :008: :008:.

Rob.
[/qu

Interesting summation on the transmission , Some may worry as to the reliability of Kawasaki transmissions or moreover our specific engines. Thing is it is really not all that common especially if you take the time to pursue the information out there.
I for one am not concerned considering the amount of bikes with high mileage and little if no issues out there.
I must say though , that my Bandit 1200 is  slicker to shift and not as notchy as most Kawasaki's that i have rode .I have only experienced a broken return spring which was an easy fix  and never had any problems other than that with my old Z1  and that was forty years ago.
I believe that the Japanese manufactures are all very similar in their approach to design in a transmission , i could be wrong here but most failures with all brands are to do with the quality of a particular component and operator error , and not so much in the design .
Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:36:20 PM by Keener

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vero Beach ,Florida
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 02:46:40 PM
Visited dealership today. Spoke with tech who took my engine out and split cases to access the trany shafts. Said 3rd and 4th gear along with the dogs that lock in were loose and worn. Bushings bad. Not sure why. He seems very competent, just never saw this before. The Kawasaki rep in Warranty said they had no record of this type failure. Tech is waiting for parts. I was pleased to see, after he examined the tranny he , temporarily put the cases back together until  he is ready to repair the damage. Cant wait. Love riding my KTM 690 enduro but the Versys is my road burner

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 01:45:05 AM

Sounds like you may be on your way to a happy ending  :152: .

Rob.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 07:50:06 PM
Sounds like you're in good hands, Mike. 

Funny story, I was out riding this weekend and stopped for a break at a popular gas station along a popular road for riding.  It's an unofficial meetup spot for a lot of Austin area riders.  Not long after I parked and got comfy at a picnic table, a rider pulled up on a Ninja 1000 (which shares a nearly identical engine/trans to our Versys 1000....in fact you could swap that engine into our chassis for a nice performance bump).  Anyway, he asked how I liked my Versys and if I'd had any trans issues.  I told him I love it and no problems, but I've heard of there being issues. 

Anyway, not an uncommon occurrence with this family of engines, unfortunately, but I'm glad yours is on the mend.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 10:36:38 PM
Transmission failures are fairly uncommon , just less than 3 % actually .
When failures occur its usually the same issues as mentioned in this thread , and next would be shifting springs that return the foot lever to position and that is a much easier repair.
Kawasaki has done full warranty repairs and have even extended passed warranty as good will in some cases.
I have this info supplied re a friend that worked with for KHI  in the power sports division , they have never changed design but have upped the quality control as to components within the transmission.
I thought this would be good to share as a fyi
Cheers

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vero Beach ,Florida
Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 12:41:21 PM
Got my bike back yesterday. Warranty work order says Replaced 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th Gears. Trans shim 5th.  Bushing,output 2nd,3rd,4th. All seals , gaskets, snap ring, o-rings, exhaust gaskets, oil and filter, and coolant
Runs good. Thankful for warranty. Mechanic spent a week on it, start to finish. If Id had to pay for this (around $6K)   I would not had the work done, and that would have been my last Kawasaki. 

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 01:42:28 PM
Yikes.  Sounds like they took good care of you.  Enjoy that smooth shifting!

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:45 PM
 :028:   

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 09:39:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Mr Mike [+]
Got my bike back yesterday. Warranty work order says Replaced 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th Gears. Trans shim 5th.  Bushing,output 2nd,3rd,4th. All seals , gaskets, snap ring, o-rings, exhaust gaskets, oil and filter, and coolant
Runs good. Thankful for warranty. Mechanic spent a week on it, start to finish. If Id had to pay for this (around $6K)   I would not had the work done, and that would have been my last Kawasaki.

Would have been cheaper for them to supply new engine I would have thought.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 09:42:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Would have been cheaper for them to supply new engine I would have thought.

Ninja 1000 engines will bolt right up and go for about $2k USD on eBay.  You'd need an ECU flash and probably some different sprockets, but it'd be an easy bolt in 20-25% horsepower increase.