Author Topic: Major Transmission Fail  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Vero Beach ,Florida
Major Transmission Fail
on: October 08, 2020, 12:15:11 PM
Shifting away from a stop, not going fast, I hit false neutral between 3-4. Has done this before and figured it was me. Wrong. Could not get 4th so down to 3. Still could not get to 4 th. Down shift 3-2-1 and neutral ok but up shifts would not go to 4th. After multiple attempts, I got 4-5-6 but downshifting stopped at 4th.  2018 with 8500 mi. Made an appointment with dealer. Fortunately Iím still covered by 2 year warranty.
Does anyone know if this is a cassette style tranny ? 

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Major Transmission Fail
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 02:29:55 PM
my buddies 2015 lost 4th gear..it cost him a bit over 2k to repair...a gear, a shift fork and a few synchros later and it was good again .
You need to split the case to fix it

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 02:53:17 PM
I got a bad feeling about it. Service writer set aside a full day to work on it. Verify nothing simple then apart it comes. Then report to Kawasaki warranty dept   That last step could take weeks.

Online 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:31:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Mr Mike [+]
Shifting away from a stop, not going fast, I hit false neutral between 3-4. Has done this before and figured it was me. Wrong. Could not get 4th so down to 3. Still could not get to 4 th. Down shift 3-2-1 and neutral ok but up shifts would not go to 4th. After multiple attempts, I got 4-5-6 but downshifting stopped at 4th.  2018 with 8500 mi. Made an appointment with dealer. Fortunately Iím still covered by 2 year warranty.
Does anyone know if this is a cassette style tranny ?
Crappy luck for you. The only good thing I see is it is a very rare occurrence judging by the absence of any other reports of tranny issues. Good luck to you.

Online Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:30:04 PM
not a cassette style. gotta split the cases.

That said, and I would need to look at a parts breakdown to see if I'm right, kaw uses an interesting spring loaded shifter that bumps to the next gear with very little force on the actual shifter. If a spring breaks or becomes dislodged, these kind of things can happen.
Steve
Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:32:59 PM by Steve in sunny Fla

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 12:02:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
not a cassette style. gotta split the cases.

That said, and I would need to look at a parts breakdown to see if I'm right, kaw uses an interesting spring loaded shifter that bumps to the next gear with very little force on the actual shifter. If a spring breaks or becomes dislodged, these kind of things can happen.
Steve
Im my buddies case they suspected a bent fork causing  wear on the dog and gear..but without any real proof,and with no clear cut evidence  other than a bad gear staring them in the face  they decided to replace the gear,  the fork and they undercut the replacement gear so it was not prone  to a repeat failure .

If you believe this particular shop, while he had never done a trans on a Versys before, he said trans failures in the 1000 cc and up  Kawasaki bikes was not that uncommon
Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:04:12 AM by Crosshairs

Offline Mr Mike

• Versys Member
Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:24:53 PM
Heard from service rep today. Problem is internal. Something about forks and drums. Tech will order all parts he thinks will need after ok from Kawasaki tomorrow   
Good news.  Theres a cover that accesses the tranny. No split cases
Bad news.  Motor has to come out
Good news. Warranty

Online Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 12:11:30 AM
 I looked at the parts breakdown, I don't see a cover to access the trans, unless he's referring to the oil pan, and you can't remove anything through there. Please do keep us updated on this, I think the tech is going to find he has to split the cases.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:32:15 AM by Keener

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:28:27 AM

Great find, Keener  :37: .

Subtitles would have helped  :008: :008:.

Rob.

waggish