Author Topic: Most inmates engine oil recommendations not qualified  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Doogle

• Versys Member
  • Khardungla Pass, India
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Most inmates engine oil recommendations not qualified
on: October 21, 2020, 12:58:20 PM
People use a certain engine oil for what ever reason-advertisements, a friend recommended, they used it and their motor didn't seize up and was clean when changed. They get on a forum and rave about how good it is. They don't supply any backup facts to support "Good". Even if oil samples are sent to a lab for analysis, bad results could indicate an engine problem. Not an oil problem. 10 years ago I bought a new Harley and did a lot of research on oils.

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172 Mod.)
Total Base Number (ASTM D 2896)
Cold Cranking Viscosity (ASTM D 5293)
Thermo-Oxidation Engine Oil Simulation Test (TEOST, ASTM D 6335)
NOACK Volatility Test
Thin Film Oxygen Uptake Test
Anti-wear additive zinc dialkyldithiophosphate
magnesium sulfonate detergents
And many more......

I lost the file I saved and don't consider myself well educated anymore. But if someone says their Motul or Redline oil is great, ask them what the Four-Ball Wear Test rating was. I'm not minimizing their test results. But ask to see if they have any idea what they are talking about. Amsoil has the best test results in almost every category. I'm not recommending Amsoil at all, because I don't think that high of level is necessary. You can buy water filters for your home that remove everything except the oxygen and hydrogen. It would be 1000% cleaner than tap water. But my heart is still pumping after 6 decades. When I compared oils 10 years ago I started using Super Tech oil from Walmart in my cars. It was rated very well back then. And always go with manufacturers recommended viscosity. They know which engine metals expand enough for adequate oil passage at different temperatures.

Again, my point is "Don't come to a forum expecting a qualified answer" about which oil to use. Some may be qualified to answer. Most not.
Do it while you can

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Most inmates engine oil recommendations not qualified
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:12:37 PM
Just an FYI..Is pretty  well agreed upon in the industry that the the 4 ball test is useless for testing engine oils....its fine for greases and gear lubes though....

Online SouthernCruizer

• Versys Pro
  • Is it Beer:30 yet?
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Eunice, LA
Re: Most inmates engine oil recommendations not qualified
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 03:11:41 PM
I don't understand why a Harley owner would even think twice about oil...they pretty much put 6 months of Versys miles on their 7 year old Harleys. Kinda hard to grenade an engine with a handful of miles.
That is all.   :756:
JayŽ
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
2004 Suzuki Wee Strom