Author Topic: Versys 1000 Reg/Stator issue $$$ PLEASE HELP  (Read 1640 times)

Offline stan89

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2011 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Versys 1000 Reg/Stator issue $$$ PLEASE HELP
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:03:40 PM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

........ and you are confident that the problem is in the charging system rather than the battery itself?

Rob.
I forgot to mention a new battery was put into the bike by the dealer when I bought the bike (6 month ago). I couldn't test ride the bike the first time and the battery wasn't charging properly. Some weeks later it felt weak and I bought a charger. I only charged it once or twice. It was winter and I didn't think much of it due to the few mods on it which could drain battery and the cold weather.
This battery was a cheap one which ended up failing when my bike "accidentally" dropped to the side and saved itself by the crash bars  :020:  :756:
So I replaced it by a Yuasa YTZ14S early Sept. (I was recommended a YTX9-BS by Battery World) but the bigger one fitted perfect.
So as far as I know, battery was amazing, and this was the reason I realised I had an issue after my new one drained recently

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 03:37:51 AM
Check out the videos at roadstercycle.com scroll down to 9th 10th and 11th.

http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercycle.com%20Videos.htm

http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercycle.com%20Videos.htm

get yourself a digital voltmeter (relatively good one $50-$100 range at least.) and test the stator yourself, several resistance measurements with bike off and stator unplugged and and ac voltage tests when running. It's 3 wires, they are shorted to ground or not. shorted to each other or not, or burned open. Test ac voltage with it running, If the resistance and ac voltage tests pass, replace the rectifier after doing those tests, see videos,,,   Also examine the plug where the stator wires plug into the rectifier for any signs of getting hot. those connections fail on a lot of different brands of bikes
Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:09:16 AM by 9094

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 12:34:20 PM
*Originally Posted by 9094 [+]
Get yourself a digital voltmeter (relatively good one $50-$100 range at least.) and test the stator yourself, several resistance measurements with bike off and stator unplugged and and ac voltage tests when running. It's 3 wires, they are shorted to ground or not. shorted to each other or not, or burned open. Test ac voltage with it running, If the resistance and ac voltage tests pass, replace the rectifier after doing those tests, see videos,,,   Also examine the plug where the stator wires plug into the rectifier for any signs of getting hot. those connections fail on a lot of different brands of bikes

Then follow the instructions in the attached Charging System fault-finding-diagram I found on the Web a few years back  :031:
Richard    :001: 
      and       on www.versys.co.uk forum               

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 04:03:57 AM
Any luck Stan?

waggish