Author Topic: Thinking of changing my S10 for a Versys 1000  (Read 923 times)

Offline Rewop

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Yam XT1200
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Thinking of changing my S10 for a Versys 1000
on: November 29, 2020, 01:40:47 PM
Hi to everyone, I'm new to this forum and have joined as having owned a Yamaha Super Tenere for the past 5 years I'm now thinking about a change to something newer.  I've been very pleased with the Tenere, its, big which is good for me as I'm 6'2", comfortable one and two up, with plenty of torque and power, and a great tourer.  However the Versys also offers these properties, and I imagine is more nimble in the corners, with a smoother engine and more power.  If I swap I will miss the Tenere's low maintenance and shaft drive, but I understand chain drive is much easier to manage these days and offers a more lively power delivery.  If there is a forum member that has made the swap from an S10 to a Versys 1000 I'd really like to know how they are getting on with their bike and if they are pleased with their decision.  Regards to all

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Re: Thinking of changing my S10 for a Versys 1000
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:57:34 PM
I've just done it the other way around, gone from 5 years and 103,000 miles on a 2015 Versys to a new S10.

The Versys is faster/more powerful and you don't need to change gear as much. So far it has been my most reliable bike. Chains used to last me 30 plus thousand miles, but I got sick of keeping them oily.

The S10 goes round corners better and so far seems better put together. I wasn't keen on it for the first 1500 miles, but now I really like it.

Both bikes are the first I've owned that handle better with heavy luggage attached which is a bit weird compared to other bikes I've owned.
2015 Versys 1000- 103,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 8 rear tyres, 9 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 2 new front wheel bearings (precautionary),11 washes and counting. Also 1 front brake light switch.

Offline Rewop

• Versys Newbie
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 06:55:20 PM
Thanks for replying, its surprising that you think the S10 corners better than the Versys.  I assumed that the 17 inch wheel and more sporty aesthetic of the Versys would naturally lend itself to a better handling bike.  I used to do over 20k miles per year a long time ago when I used to commute.  Now I'm retired I'm reduced to fair weather day rides and an annual tour so barely do 4k per year.  With my low mileage, chain wear will not be a problem and I'm hoping that the extra power of the Versys will provide a more fun ride.  I've had a short test ride on a 2019 Versys, I enjoyed it but it was in an urban setting so not a very good test.  I need to have a longer test ride at a dealership that is closer to more interesting roads.  I will also have to take my wife along so she can try the pillion seat.  She finds the S10 very roomy and comfortable.  The Versys looks good but I've read on this forum that some find it a little cramped front to back.  The step between rider and pillion also seems quite high and my wife is not keen on being perched high up looking over my shoulder.  She prefers to be sheltered behind my back. Regards   

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha MT 09 GT
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 07:24:11 PM
Welcome along Rewop, I owned a S10 in 2014, it was the ZE version, and it was a great bike but for me lacked a couple of cylinders. Since then I've  owned a couple of Versys 1000s, which are an outstanding bike and should meet your requirements  be it solo or with a pillion,  the Versys is a very comfy bike in either environment.

The later (2019 onwards) models will offer you the opportunity to purchase the SE version which has IMU and electronic suspension,  and in my opinion you will experience handling  which is even better than the capable  S10.

TBH chain maintenance is no big deal with a quick lub every 500 miles or so, which means squirting  the chain with some chain lubricant plus a chain clean every 1000 miles or so, this means putting on some workshop gloves wiping the chain with some cleaner, I  used paraffin,  and reapplying fresh lubricant,  the whole process takes about 10 minutes.

I lived in Leyburn for 3 years from 2014 onwards, where there are some great biking roads, where abouts are you located

Good luck with your testing and decision making 
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Rewop

• Versys Newbie
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:51:23 AM
Hi Tyke, Thanks for your input.  Yes, I'm hankering after the smoothness of 4 cylinders also.  A new Versys with electronic suspension is tempting, but I I don't think I can justify the expense given my low annual mileage (4k).  I am more inclined towards getting a 2017/8 low mileage GT version, although I've seen 2019 base models on Autotrader for similar prices.
Paraffin is a good idea for cleaning the chain, but where do you buy that these days?
You are right about the biking roads in North Yorkshire, there's loads of choice and the scenery is fantastic.  I live in Harrogate, so am lucky to have easy access to both The Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors National Parks , Regards

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:12:46 PM
Welcome aboard  :031:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha MT 09 GT
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 06:34:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Rewop [+]
Hi Tyke, Thanks for your input.  Yes, I'm hankering after the smoothness of 4 cylinders also.  A new Versys with electronic suspension is tempting, but I I don't think I can justify the expense given my low annual mileage (4k).  I am more inclined towards getting a 2017/8 low mileage GT version, although I've seen 2019 base models on Autotrader for similar prices.
Paraffin is a good idea for cleaning the chain, but where do you buy that these days?
You are right about the biking roads in North Yorkshire, there's loads of choice and the scenery is fantastic.  I live in Harrogate, so am lucky to have easy access to both The Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors National Parks , Regards

I used to buy a 5Ltr container of paraffin at my local hardware store. Specific chain cleaning products are available

Great to have you on board...BTW we love Harrogate   :169:   
Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:36:27 PM by TYKE
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE
  • City / Town: VA
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:51:16 PM
Hello Rewop,

I purchased a 2019 Versys earlier this year after owning a 2012 S10 for about 4-5 years. I retired this year and I'm 6'3".
Had my S10 been a later model with cruise control and electronic suspension I probably wouldn't have got the Versys.
I had my S10 re-flashed and the torque was amazing! Had to be careful in sport mode in the first 3 gears. Wow.

S10 was more comfortable (I made custom handlebars 3.5" taller), more stable on the highway,
stock seat was better than Versys which is why I'm getting Corbin Holeshot seat tomorrow. Better be great for the price they go for!
Loved the shaft drive, had a better rear brake, front about the same as Versys but I liked the linked brakes on S10.
Overall the S10 was a great bike! I actually wanted a Versys before I got the S10, but my friend happened to snag a ride on one and couldn't stop bragging about it.
A shop we frequent had a new leftover 2012 with a steep price discount and they gave me a good trade-in price on my Yam Royal Star Tour Deluxe so I went for it.
I didn't like it on the ride home. It had the clutch basket vibration bad. Found about that from the S10 forum.
Complained to dealer about it and they put in the newer 2014 clutch basket for free! Most others had to pay for it!
Bike was fine after that.

When the new 2019 Versys came out I was in love. Looks, features. My old lust came back.
Was looking around for another a bike (last one for retirement) the Versys was too expensive. Almost got the new Tiger 900. Awesome bike but still a little too much money.
Then Kawasaki was giving big discounts to the bigger dealers and I got this 2019 cheaper than any other bike I was looking at! Couldn't believe it!

Again, during the break-in I didn't care for the bike as much as the S10. She has grown on me, now that I can open her up!
Just a smooth bike overall. I really like all the features it has. Bags, dash, electronic suspension, smooth throttle and engine, cruise control, quick-shifter and more.
Much better and sporty looking bike too. The 2020 model of the S10 is so ugly!

Besides the new seat, I added a air horn, better turn signal dash indicators, trunk with added brake light, windshield deflector on top (2.5" higher), near perfect on the highway now.
Want to bend the handlebars back to give it more sweep (too flat now), and add highway bars. Gonna design my own.

I think you'd like the Versys if you get one. Best of luck.

Online Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 04:42:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
I've just done it the other way around, gone from 5 years and 103,000 miles on a 2015 Versys to a new S10.

The Versys is faster/more powerful and you don't need to change gear as much. So far it has been my most reliable bike. Chains used to last me 30 plus thousand miles, but I got sick of keeping them oily.

The S10 goes round corners better and so far seems better put together. I wasn't keen on it for the first 1500 miles, but now I really like it.

Both bikes are the first I've owned that handle better with heavy luggage attached which is a bit weird compared to other bikes I've owned.

Compliments on your milage over 5 years. On a side note I would be interested to hear if your wheel bearings needed changing during your 100, 000 miles on your V1.
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 05:02:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Topbox [+]
Compliments on your milage over 5 years. On a side note I would be interested to hear if your wheel bearings needed changing during your 100, 000 miles on your V1.
I changed the fronts very recently because they felt rough when turning them by hand when I was putting a new tyre on. Once the old bearings were out they seemed fine though. The rears are still original.

My mate owns the bike now and is playing around trying to make the rear pannier racks move closer inboard and looking to put some small silencer onto it.
2015 Versys 1000- 103,000 miles (doesn't use any oil between changes), 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 8 rear tyres, 9 front tyres, 12 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 4 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 5 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 1 parking light bulb, 2 new front wheel bearings (precautionary),11 washes and counting. Also 1 front brake light switch.

waggish