Author Topic: Oh no... some crazy idea is getting hold of me  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2020 SE 1000GT
  • City / Town: Tilburg
Oh no... some crazy idea is getting hold of me
on: November 30, 2020, 09:49:16 AM
Okay, so I felt I had to share it here. A short while ago I got a book about a Dutch guy shipping (or actually: flying) his bike to Canada and riding it from the US east coast to the west coast. And flying it back from Canada to home.

After that, YouTube was kind enough to show me a couple of vids of a guy riding his bike from New York to the Northwest to California and back to New York.

Oh-oh.

I want to do that. And Ii want to do that on the Versys. It will probably take a couple of years before I *will* do it (yes, for me the kids must first be 18+), but it's gotten on my mind THAT much, that I'm convinced my Versys will see the other side of the pond in the future.

Anyone else ever shipped/flew their bike?

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Re: Oh no... some crazy idea is getting hold of me
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:03 AM
Look on you tube for Richy Vida. Him and 4 of his mates flew their bikes from the uk on the same plane to Canada and back and rode down the east coast and back up the west coast of the USA.

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:27:16 PM
Thanks for the tip Floyd! Really nice to watch - guesss I'll have something to do the coming Winter nights  :43: :001:

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:40 AM
I envy your plan.
Why not renting a motorcycle when you are there?
(And for a coast-to-coast trip in the USA one cannot fail to consider the option of riding a Harley. A la guerre comme a la guerre... :008:)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:13:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
I envy your plan.
Why not renting a motorcycle when you are there?
(And for a coast-to-coast trip in the USA one cannot fail to consider the option of riding a Harley. A la guerre comme a la guerre... :008:)

Well, for one: shipping the bike is cheaper than renting a bike... unless going for only a couple of weeks. Renting is close to US$ 150 a day, shipping (and returning) could be done for about 2.500.

But more importantly: how cool would it be to ride you OWN bike there! Wow. That just seems so incredible...  :020:

Offline TallyRex

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
In 1971, I went to Europe after giving my brother, who was in the US Army in Frankfurt, money to buy a 650 BSA from the Canadian PX.  I rode it around Europe for 2 months and then had it flown back to the States from Holland.  It had been crated and was in perfect condition and the entire shipping process was perfect.

Good luck with your trip, but remember that America is big and there is so much to see.  The unique part of America is in the West - Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Columbia River and on and on.  The East Coast is not much different than Europe.  While all cities are unique, they are still cities and not the best to visit by MC

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 04:06:07 PM
*Originally Posted by Joeri999 [+]
Thanks for the tip Floyd! Really nice to watch - guesss I'll have something to do the coming Winter nights  :43: :001:

He's done loads of videos,  all over Europe  and Scandinavia.  I've watched most during lockdown and while on furlough,  I get some good ideas from them on where to go etc.

Offline Kiwirider

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000
  • City / Town: Auckland
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 09:29:25 PM
 Buy a bike there, to do a tour of the states, got to 31 states, did 28000 km in 44 days, shipped it back to NZ, sold it, payed for a lot of the trip, and you are right, the west is best, grand Canyon, yellow stone, especially the bear tooth pass, loved oregon

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 01:48:55 AM

"But more importantly: how cool would it be to ride you OWN bike there! Wow."

+1 to that.  :37: :37:

Rob.

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 08:11:44 PM
An old biker myth/legend/lie/tall tale from "back in the day"...story goes Harley Davidsons were difficult to get in Europe so Americans would ship one over to Europe, ride it for a few weeks, sell it there and profit enough to pay for the trip plus leave with cash in hand.  Sounds cool to me...except the part about owning a Harley.

:008:

If any of y'all pass through Central Texas look me up!