Author Topic: WTD: Versys 1000 MK2 or MK3  (Read 5591 times)

Offline AndreyEvteev

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Honda Crossrunner
  • City / Town: Orpington
Re: WTD: Versys 1000 MK2 or MK3
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 10:23:12 AM
Makes sense :)

I know MK3 has all those bells and whistles; the only one really want though is Cruise Control.

If I could get MK2 to handle like MK3 there would be no question. Problem is - I don't understand where my impressions are coming from; if it's just more sensitive and nicer throttle response oon MK3 that's easy - would have the MK2 flashed and volia.

Don't believe it's the suspension quality - IMO MK3 non-SE is not better than MK2.

It may be a change in bike's geometry - slight alterations to trail/rake/steering angle. This cannot be changed and would mean go with MK3.

I was not planning on asking really, it's a Wanted thread :) But since the discussion started why not talk about it? :)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha MT 09 GT
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 12:54:36 PM
 :185: 

The mark 3 has ride by wire throttle and IMU suspension monitoring system which is the reason why the Mk3 rides and handles better than the Mk 2

You could buy a Mk2 and fit a cruise control system ( check the Search button [top left]) there are a number of posts in this regard

The suspension on the Mk2 is generally accepted as being very good, if a little basic, some members have 'tuned' their suspension and Maxton is one successful option or a more affordable option would be Hyperpro

Good luck  :028:   

The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline AndreyEvteev

• Versys Newbie
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 03:43:23 PM
Thanks TYKE.

That's the thing with IMU and suspension - this is only true for the SE version which is way out of my price range. I'm looking at a standard one and based on my test rides I feel it's slightly inferior to the MK2. Maybe I need another test ride :)

If I end up getting an MK2 I'll likely live w/o the cruise and although will miss it won't die :)

On the balance of things handling + suspension is way more important to me than cruise.

Yep, basically I'm talking myself into MK2 here I think :)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha MT 09 GT
  • City / Town: Wigton
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 07:07:21 PM
No problem,  it's a pleasure.

Maybe you should try another test ride, it's all too easy to get seduced by gizmos, gadgets  and features called specifications  ( I have, several times  :034: )

Ride your bike, enjoy the feeling and to hell with the rest....I have good friends who ride their 1970s  Kawasaki  Triples  on a regular sometimes daily basis,  they love it.....there's nowt to beat riding a bike

Good luck with your decision....but keep us posted   :028:   
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline markymark11

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Black, Red trim
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 01:44:53 PM
If you take the time to set the rider sag on a MK2 it will handle as well if not better than most sport tourer. Go for between 25 and 30 percent. The MK2 has 150mm of travel front and back. I dialed in 42mm with me sat on it and ever since it is amazing. I also dropped the triple clamp 10mm (raised the forks) to make it turn in quicker and I can tell you it is now as sharp as my S1000XR was on "dynamic". It is one of those bikes that really benefits from setup. It leaves the factory far too soft unless you weigh 20 stone plus.

Also go and watch Ozarks backroads on "you tube" and watch "John" fit an McCruise system.

From all the test rides I have had on the MK3 - I found the throttle lighter as Tyke says due to ride by wire but I would not call the MK2 heavy by any means. I would go for the MK3 base model with manual suspension and save 3k over the SE if I had to have a MK3, but I personally think the MK2 is nicer to look at, comes in better colours and is much cheaper to buy (a secondhand one) and has the same performance as the MK3 - no brainer to me but I was also driven by money as well.

Either way any version of the V1k is a brilliant all rounder which just needs a little set up, and can have cruise fitted if that's what you need. I personally intend to fit McCruise next year as it is the only thing I also miss from previous bikes.
you can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Offline big mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Macduff
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 09:26:57 AM
I'm trading in my 2018 mk2 SE, was due to go this week but tuer changes has seen thus change to new year do if you're quick theres a chance before it goes to trade.

4759 miles
Puig Touring screen
Heated grips
Sat nav mount
Throttle tamer
De cat
Scorpion exhaust
 Custom made rack with quick release Hepco Becker top box
Seat has been sculpted to remove the slope and upgraded gel.

Bike is in NE Scotland

Offline big mike

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Macduff
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 09:29:19 AM

Offline AndreyEvteev

• Versys Newbie