Author Topic: Riding Across the Mackinac Bridge - The MIGHTY MAC!!  (Read 859 times)

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 LT SE 1000
  • City / Town: Sault Ste. Marie Ont
Riding Across the Mackinac Bridge - The MIGHTY MAC!!
on: December 30, 2020, 07:58:10 PM
Wanted to take time to wish everyone on the forum a Happy Holiday season and hoping Christmas was good too in spite of Covid.  Been a while since I posted, my father passed away a month ago suddenly and unexpectedly where I am struggling coming to terms with this sudden loss.

We are under Provincial lockdown in my area until January 9th.  Reviewing some footage from a 2017 ride around Lake Huron I captured footage riding across the Straits of Mackinac, The Mackinac Bridge (Michigan, USA) with two friends.  We were heading north about 50 miles to Canada where we live right across the border.  Nothing fancy, I captured the footage on my helmet cam riding my 2013 Versys 1000.  The Mighty Mac is a large and long suspension bridge over the Straits of Mackinac where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron connect.  It can be a bit of a daunting ride several hundred feet above the water and winds whipping you.  :002:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha MT 09 GT
  • City / Town: Cumbria * U.K
Re: Riding Across the Mackinac Bridge - The MIGHTY MAC!!
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:28:25 PM
Saultguy, first off please accept my condolences for the sudden and unexpected loss of your father,  it must be difficult for your whole family especially at this time of year.

What a way to help you feel a little better  by reviewing  your past riding trips, and what a fantastic  example to choose to share with us all, thank you.

Take care and stay safe in these terrible  times.
The world is full of good people, if you can't find one - be one

Make every second count, make every moment special.

Rog

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:49:23 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Saultguy, first off please accept my condolences for the sudden and unexpected loss of your father,  it must be difficult for your whole family especially at this time of year.

What a way to help you feel a little better  by reviewing  your past riding trips, and what a fantastic  example to choose to share with us all, thank you.

Take care and stay safe in these terrible  times.

Thank-you Rog for the kind words.  Glad you decided to stay on the forum after selling your Versys.  Wishing you and your family all the best!! Lets hope 2021 is a better year because 2020 SUCKED.  :031:

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:51:19 PM
Sorry 'bout your father and that you are locked down.  Thanks for sharing the video.  Looks like a fun ride!

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 01:56:57 PM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
Sorry 'bout your father and that you are locked down.  Thanks for sharing the video.  Looks like a fun ride!

Thank-you.  I'm usually very comfortable on a motorcycle riding in various conditions but the Mighty Mac at times can raise the hairs on the back of your neck riding across.   :003:

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 06:05:03 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss SaultGuy , 2021 will be a better year for all ..Happy New  Year

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 12:56:28 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
Sorry to hear of your loss SaultGuy , 2021 will be a better year for all ..Happy New  Year

Thanks Keener.  All the best and keeping fingers crossed for 2021!!

Offline TheShoe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Orange LT
  • City / Town: Avon, Indiana
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 06:10:18 AM
Nice video SaultGuy. In July 2017, my son, a good friend and I rode it in the opposite direction running into the construction zone which forced us to ride the metal grated left lane hundreds of feet above the water. I kept my eyes focused straight ahead. It was an exciting experience. My buddy took similar video while following me.

We rode north from Indy, crossed Lake Michigan on the Badger Ferry to Wisconsin, rode north along Lake Superior through the UP, skirted Lake Huron while spending a night in St. Ignes, then crossed the Mackinac Bridge and continued back through Michigan and Indiana. We had considered going into Canada during our planning but chose to save that for another time. As it was, we had seven of the most memorable, pleasant, and fun days ever.
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2006 Z750S "Black Kwak"
1974 Suzuki GT185 (Cafe build in progress)

In Cherokee, there are 7 directions:  north, south, east, west, up, down, and where you are.

Offline SaultGuy

• Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 02:05:02 PM
*Originally Posted by TheShoe [+]
Nice video SaultGuy. In July 2017, my son, a good friend and I rode it in the opposite direction running into the construction zone which forced us to ride the metal grated left lane hundreds of feet above the water. I kept my eyes focused straight ahead. It was an exciting experience. My buddy took similar video while following me.

We rode north from Indy, crossed Lake Michigan on the Badger Ferry to Wisconsin, rode north along Lake Superior through the UP, skirted Lake Huron while spending a night in St. Ignes, then crossed the Mackinac Bridge and continued back through Michigan and Indiana. We had considered going into Canada during our planning but chose to save that for another time. As it was, we had seven of the most memorable, pleasant, and fun days ever.

Hi TheShoe and thanks.  Yes, riding the grates of the Mac is not something for the faint of heart.  It is a thrill.  We have shared many of the same roads, my wife is actually from the UP of Michigan immigrating to the Canadian side when we married 25 years ago now.  If time permits and when the border re-opens suggest doing the full Lake Superior tour.  Duluth to the Canadian border is a spectacular ride as well as many parts of the northern side of Lake Superior running through Ontario Canada.  I met up with Craig Ripley, the YouTuber (Living Off the Slab) in Duluth to ride with him around Lake Superior as Craig was wrapping up his 60th birthday, 60 day ride around the US ducking up to the Canadian side.  See the links below of the 2 days Craig and I rode together.

waggish