Author Topic: Valve clearance figures at low side....  (Read 2225 times)

Offline brico

• Versys Member
Re: Valve clearance figures at low side....
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:47:11 AM
*Originally Posted by brico [+]
My 2012 Versys 1000 is at 40000km/25000miles. I do not know if valves were adjusted previously. I doubt it.

I've now done the valve clearance checks and here are the figures

Exhaust - Range 0.220-0.310mm
Cylinder #1 = 0.178mm / 0.178mm
Cylinder #2 = 0.178mm / 0.178mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.178mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #4 = 0.203mm / 0.178mm

Intake  - Range 0.150 - 0.240mm
Cylinder #1 = 0.178mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #2 = 0.178mm / 0.127mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.127mm / 0.127mm

Cylinder #4 = 0.178mm / 0.152mm

All of the exhaust valves and three of the intake valves are below the acceptable clearance.

I was actually expecting the clearance to be on the higher side if it is outside the range due to wear and thinning out of the shims and valve lifters. 

How bad is this and does it require adjustment or only monitoring?

Thanks everyone for input to this subject. I seem to have done poor job of initial measuring as this is first time I used the shimming tool and found it difficult to use so I have dismantled it and used individual shim blades to measure the clearances which was messy job and difficult to insert the blade under the cam lobes. 

I have looked up on YouTube and assembled it back and taken different approach in measuring the clearances which returned much better results as follows:

Cylinder #1 = 0.251mm / 0.251mm
Cylinder #2 = 0.305mm / 0.305mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.279mm / 0.279mm
Cylinder #4 = 0.251mm / 0.251mm

Cylinder #2 = 0.203mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.203mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #4 = 0.229mm / 0.229mm

Happy to have been able to get these results so I do not have to do the adjustments. it is extra work that I am not comfortable doing and extra cost at $18 per shim from the local Kawasaki dealership. 

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 04:15:47 AM
I used the shimming tool and found it difficult to use so I have dismantled it and used individual shim blades to measure the clearances which was messy job and difficult to insert the blade under the cam lobes.

:notsure: Could you go more in depth about this as i have an inspection coming up.
Thks

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:40:40 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
I used the shimming tool and found it difficult to use so I have dismantled it and used individual shim blades to measure the clearances which was messy job and difficult to insert the blade under the cam lobes.

:notsure: Could you go more in depth about this as i have an inspection coming up.
Thks

Look here, 4'30'' and at 10'30'' (even more evident)

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 10:17:40 AM
Thanks everyone for input to this subject. I seem to have done poor job of initial measuring as this is first time I used the shimming tool and found it difficult to use so I have dismantled it and used individual shim blades to measure the clearances which was messy job and difficult to insert the blade under the cam lobes. 

I have looked up on YouTube and assembled it back and taken different approach in measuring the clearances which returned much better results as follows:

Cylinder #1 = 0.251mm / 0.251mm
Cylinder #2 = 0.305mm / 0.305mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.279mm / 0.279mm
Cylinder #4 = 0.251mm / 0.251mm

Cylinder #2 = 0.203mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #3 = 0.203mm / 0.203mm
Cylinder #4 = 0.229mm / 0.229mm

Happy to have been able to get these results so I do not have to do the adjustments. it is extra work that I am not comfortable doing and extra cost at $18 per shim from the local Kawasaki dealership.

Looks like checking twice has paid off.

If youve got the workshop manual dont be afraid to take the cams out to change the shims, that video highlights how straight forward it is. You've done the worst bit which is removing everything and taking the cam cover off. The cost of the shims isn't as bad as you might think as the shims can be shufled around to give the correct clearance thus minimising having to buy new.

TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Topbox

• Versys Pro
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]

Thks

I use ordinary feeler gauges they're long enough and bendy enough to get beetween cam and bucket. I didn't even know there was a shimming tool.

TB
Life, its not a rehersal.

Offline Ace50

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 V1K SE
  • City / Town: VA
Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 04:56:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Vern [+]
As a mechanic friend said a 'slappy' cam is a happy cam.
In other words you can hear ticking on cold starts from the top of the engine, once the metals expand with heat all becomes quiet.
Vern

I agree with your mechanic, a little noise at startup and then it goes away when warmed up.
I've even heard that if you hear nothing, it's probably cause they are too tight and they get tighter not looser on these type of engines.

Offline brico

• Versys Member
Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 05:39:31 PM
My bad  :020: I should have written feeler gauges instead of shimming tool. During the first attempt I separated the feeler gauge blades and tried inserting them individually and was not able to insert the maximum thickness possible. When I stacked them back and pulled out the thickest one that is as close as possible to the upper clearance limit and worked down to the one that would actually fit, although snuggly, I got much better measurements. It is a bit messy work with thin bendable blades covered in oil. Assembling back the engine top this weekend.   

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 06:07:30 PM
My bad  :020: I should have written feeler gauges instead of shimming tool. During the first attempt I separated the feeler gauge blades and tried inserting them individually and was not able to insert the maximum thickness possible. When I stacked them back and pulled out the thickest one that is as close as possible to the upper clearance limit and worked down to the one that would actually fit, although snuggly, I got much better measurements. It is a bit messy work with thin bendable blades covered in oil. Assembling back the engine top this weekend.   

:763:  I see now

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 01:37:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Ace50 [+]
I agree with your mechanic, a little noise at startup and then it goes away when warmed up.
I've even heard that if you hear nothing, it's probably cause they are too tight and they get tighter not looser on these type of engines.

Was your bike noisy when it was new? the answer is no, because it was adjusted properly.
if your valves are noisy at any temperature,they are not adjusted properly.

feel free to ride around that way, but don't think for a minute its normal, and don't try and convince anyone else it is because you are doing the community a disservice by spreading bad information. 

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 01:49:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Vern [+]

I asked him the question raised in this topic when I found that a number of clearances on my Versys valves were on the wrong side of minimum spec. His response was for road riding and durability to aim for the clearances being reset closer to the maximum recommended rather than aiming for setting them just within tolerance. Hence his comment a slappy cam is a happy cam.

Vern

I prefer somewhere in the middle because no matter which way they go, you still have a quiet valve train  but his way is also  perfectly fine....we are talking about thousands of an inch so anywhere in the acceptable range will work.