Author Topic: Found a great deal on Shad 59x case and mounting kit, more available  (Read 531 times)

Offline NZISMCHEAVEN

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000LTSE
  • City / Town: LAFAYETTE CO
Hi all,

Just got a great deal on a used 2019 1000 SE and heavily into deciding what farkles to buy.  My SO looked at it and immediately noticed it didn't have a top case and she might fall off, lol.  Actually she might.... she's good at falling asleep which really surprised me the first time.  I was lightly applying the brakes for an up coming town and our helmets clunked.  Now I'm use to it.

At any rate, my first order of business was to decide on a top case.  Since I got such a good deal on the bike, $11,200 with 1,600 miles, I thought I'd spring for the OEM case which seemed to be reasonable until I looked at what the mounting kit, key kit, and color insert cost!

I considered a bunch of GIVI and Kappa cases.  I have a 2008 Bandit 1250 in New Zealand with GIVI Monolock cases and I really liked those.  I was about to order a Kappa case when I thought I should at least take a look at Shad.  They didn't seem to be priced any better, but I liked the two expandable cases they had.  The 58x and 59x which expand from 46 to 52 and finally to 58 or 59 liters.  They are over $400 and the mounting kits were reasonable at $60.

I researched them a little more and found a seller on Ebay, Helmet House in California (looks like a motorcycle helmet and clothing distributor), that has the 59x for sale at $287 with $10 shipping and as low as $230 is you buy 4 or more.  They much have a bunch for some reason.  Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHAD-SH59X-Top-Case-Tail-Bag/333842386534?hash=item4dba8e8e66:g:WI4AAOSw3Vpf7S5H

They also have the correct mounting kit at $35 and $10 shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHAD-Top-Case-Mounting-Kit-for-Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-2007-2018/333843182395?hash=item4dba9ab33b:g:aI4AAOSwjVtf7jEo

They list the kit as for a 2007-2018 Concours but the 2015 up Versys is the same part number, K0GT18ST.

I found several good reviews on the 58x and 59x, but was worried it might look to big on the Versys.  Serendipitously, Webbike World did a review of the 58x and posted a video on youtube.  They mounted it on a black and white Versys 650 and it looks very nice, especially when it is down to it's smallest, 46 liter size - very wide and low.  Here is a link:

I'll see what I think of the silver on top.  I may want to paint that black or perhaps a flat, carbon fiber wrap would look nice and be more durable.  I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers!

Offline PhilDHY

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2013
  • City / Town: York
Hiya NZ, I bought the 59x to replace the original Givi top box on my 13 V1k. It's a great job! Can be a bit fiddly to extend or collapse as the clips don't always go in easily, but it's a really versatile bit of kit. 2 x full face lids no problem. When I bought mine they hadn't the white top ,so gave me a carbon fibre lookalike until the white came. I haven't put the white cover on yet as I don't dislike the carbon look.
BTW they're expensive here in UK at over£300

Offline NZISMCHEAVEN

• Versys Newbie
Hi Phil,

Glad to hear the case is working well for you.  Always good to hear how something is working for someone who has used it for a while.  Perhaps a bit of dry lube on the expansion clips would work.  I have a can of Remington dry gun lube around so perhaps I'll spray a little on them if I find them to be balky.

I think you probably have the 58X case.  There are color plates for those and they come with a carbon fiber plate.  The 59x actually has an aluminum plate on top.  I do not see any color plates for them and it appears for the Shad photos that the shape or the aluminum 59x cover is different than the 58x color plates.  If you know different please point me in the right direction to look at them.

I was guessing that the white plates for the 58x were likely a glossy finish unlike the satin finish of the 2019 Versys white.  Is that correct?  I would have still went with the 59x though since the price was so good.  Once I get the case in hand I'll see if I'm good with the aluminum or if I want to try and cover it with a carbon fiber wrap or something.

Thanks for the info, cheers!

Offline NZISMCHEAVEN

• Versys Newbie
Just wanted to give an up date.  I got the case and bike specific bracket today.  Brand new and all there.  I laid the case on the bike in it's fully collasped, 46 L, size and it looks great.  The aluminum color part of the top lid is actual aluminum and looks nice too.  I probably will not cover it up with wrap.

In other news, I went on a buying spree last night driven by information on this forum and a couple of others as well as some other reviews I found on the web. I placed orders for:

Nemo chain oiler (actually copy that was on Amazon).  Have always just used spray on lube and it never SOUNDS like much trouble to stop and oil the chain on a trip, but it always turns out to be a PIA in practice.  My pal in NZ swears by Scottoilers.  I looked at those as well as the Tutoro and then spotted the Nemo and assorted knock offs.  It sounds very simple, fool proof, and I'll actually like fiddling with manually giving it a little twist to oil the chain as I ride.  We'll see.

Hepco Becker cash bars (liked the looks of them better than the alternatives)

Rox risers that pivot in black.  I have a set of these on my Vstrom 650 and really like them.  The reach on the Versys is a little farther than my Vstrom as it sets now.  Not nearly as far as the Vstrom bars without the riser though.

Moto Werk lowering plate.  The Versys is probably OK as is, but I'm spoiled by the 26 inch seat height on my Victory Vision.  The Versys as is is just a little taller than my Vstrom and I've lowered the front of the Vstrom 3/4 inch with the clamps.  This evens it out when two up.  Though about doing only the clamps on the Versys for an inch lower, but my SO doesn't like the climb to the pillion.  Again, spoiled by her low 'armchair" on the Vision, lol.  I see that Lusk has some sort of shim that they use with the side stand to increase it's angle to the ground in order to effectively shorten it.  Does anyone know what that shim looks like or can point me in the direction of someone who has replicated it with a trip to the hardware section at Home Depot or Lowes?

T-Rex radiator guard in black

R&G front fender extender in black

Projekt D passenger peg lowering.  SO wanted more leg room.  Vision is great for her, Vstrom is OK, and Bandit is uncomfortable.  Looks like this lowering extension will make it better than the Vstrom for her.  Looks like there is plenty of room for it on the exhaust side, but may be because the original owner already had a Delkevic muffler on it.  In my short ride it did not sound at all loud to me.  I had thought that I'd put the baffle in it, but I don't think that will be necessary.

I'd lower the front pegs too, but I don't find a kit for that.  Perhaps due to the quick shifter. 

I just need to switch out the Vstream windshield for the OEM and see how I like it, but I thinking I'll end up getting a California Scientific large or x-large in the end.

Let me know if I missed out on any other important farkles.  I passed on a tank bag.  The Vision has a little glove box and I have a small/medium bag on the Bandit which came with it.  I'm pretty ambivalent about it.  I also found, to my surprise, that I don't need mirror extensions.  I only get just a bit of my shoulder in each mirror and after I move the bars back some with the Rox risers even that little bit may be eliminated.   

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
I have the lust racing 20mm lowering plates on my 2019 se,   on my 2015 I had the 30mm plates so I cut the side stand to the correct length and welded the foot back on,
On my 2019 I thought I'd try the sidestand  shim kit. While it works ok, while on holiday with the panniers and topbox loaded up and me standing on the footrest to climb on the bike, the 2 replacement bolts they send you to mount the shims started to bend so the bike was leaning further and further over.  When I got home I put the standard setup back on, I might shorten the stand but as it is at the moment it's not to bad , I've just to be careful where I park it.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: 1000 SE GT 2019
  • City / Town: Sunny Morecambe
Regarding the lowering footrest kit, I had the lust one on my 2015 model and I removed it and fitted it to my 2019, 5,500 miles and no problems, it does slightly touch the gear lever but everything works fine, someone did say it wouldn't work on their bike, and some others have said it's ok and works on theirs . I've since removed my quickshifter because I didn't like the spongy feeling .

Offline NZISMCHEAVEN

• Versys Newbie
Thanks so much for the response Floydsz1.  I guess I'll bite the bullet and cut the side stand and have a friend weld it for me.

I'll wait until after a multi-day ride and see if I think I want to lower the rider pegs. 

Now I just need one or two of those surprising mid-winter, Colorado days when it get above 70 degrees.