Author Topic: Touring Canada  (Read 1731 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2014 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Re: Touring Canada
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 01:08:50 PM

There is so much more to see in Canada than southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland of B.C.

Perhaps the best day's riding I've ever had was riding through Muncho Lake Provincial Park on the Alcan.
Bear, bison, moose, fox, bighorn sheep. Lost count. Chased down by wet wraps and pints of Yukon Gold later that day in Whitehorse.
 Very hard to beat.

How long are you allowing for the trip? Then double it  :008: . A month would not be too much. Two would be better.

Canada is about size and variety. Contrasts.

Rob.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:28:25 PM
 :762:  Right on the Mark

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:44 PM

And from an Easterner too  :034: .

:whistle:.

Rob.

Offline Lourspolaire

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 1000
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 04:01:54 PM
I can't speak for other provinces, but in Québec, they are a bit anal about the class of drivers license you have, more specificaly for motorcycle

I would check with the SAAQ (minister of transportation in Québec) about your international license, an maybe in other provinces

It's a big and very freindly country, you will enjoy yourself
Maybe a little warning when you'll be in the western part, the weather can be suprising in the rockies

Cheers

LOP

Offline 2tallrider

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE
  • City / Town: Grande Prairie
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 01:59:47 AM
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

There is so much more to see in Canada than southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland of B.C.

Perhaps the best day's riding I've ever had was riding through Muncho Lake Provincial Park on the Alcan.
Bear, bison, moose, fox, bighorn sheep. Lost count. Chased down by wet wraps and pints of Yukon Gold later that day in Whitehorse.
 Very hard to beat.

How long are you allowing for the trip? Then double it  :008: . A month would not be too much. Two would be better.

Canada is about size and variety. Contrasts.

Rob.
I second that. A friend and I had an old friend in the Whitehorse area who used to be a bush pilot. We would ride out every summer to stay for a few days. It is one of the nicest rides I've been on and I highly recommend it. I really look forward to the buffalo by Muncho. The Yukon way of life is something that should be experienced by all.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:23:38 AM

This may be of interest to some.

Many of the photos suffered at the hands of Photobucket when they changed their free posting rules.
Apologies.

https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,15360.0.html

Rob.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:44 AM
Alaska     :152:  was there in 2000 ..one of the best trips ever .... on my 98 Bandit 1200     too long ago now  ...I am going back     Thks ultrarob   :031:

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 03:48:49 AM

Do it, Keener, and write it up  :37: .

When I was there the first time, in 2003 I think, with my wife on a pair of KLRs the road bridges in Alaska had signs that said "No Shooting From the Bridge. Those were gone by 2013.

Go, before it becomes boringly civilised  :180: .

:031:

Rob.

Offline stillsteamn

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys1K, Kymco S250
  • City / Town: Bloomington, MN
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:47 PM
From my bit of tooling around in southern Ontario I was surprised how far it can be between gas stations.  Like 100 miles.  Don't be tempted to push the limits of your bike's fuel tank, and a reserve fuel bottle might be in order.  Great country to tour.  Speed limits kind of low considering the wide open highways, but in the rural areas I reckon you can stretch the limits.
Corbin seat, Puig windshield, windshield gps bracket, Tak-Lok throttle lock, Grip Puppies, Puig fender extender, Kawi 12V socket, Shad SH58X top box, SW Motech sidestand foot, Tackform Enduro phone mount, Holeshot Bad Boy slip-on muffler, Motografix tank protector, Motowerk bar risers.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:36 PM

"Speed limits kind of low considering the wide open highways, but in the rural areas I reckon you can stretch the limits."

True. The TCH is particularly bad for that in Ontario, and the mega signs listing speeds/fines are just obnoxious.
 No need to let it spoil the ride, 'tho.

Rob.