Author Topic: How Can One Live with so Soft Front Suspension?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: How Can One Live with so Soft Front Suspension?
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 04:20:29 PM
*Originally Posted by kris [+]

by the way, I checked other options on Racetech site, and these guys give completely wrong information. Like, they imply that there is only one spring in 2016 model, on the left side and bs of that sort.  I used to think that they are more professional.  for instance, they sent me 2 springs for V650 (why not one longer one is beyond me?) that I was supposed to fit on the left fork.  they were so hard, that it took 3 big men to fit them in, and they did not make any difference to the suspension at all!

I think you are misinterpreting what they are saying...when they say "spring only" on left side, that means that there is no damping on that side, just a spring...the damping is controlled  on the right side ..this is clearly evident on the Versys 1000 ( and some other bikes) by only having damping adjustment on 1 fork, but preload on both

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:51 PM
 :185:
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I think you are misinterpreting what they are saying...when they say "spring only" on left side, that means that there is no damping on that side, just a spring...the damping is controlled  on the right side ..this is clearly evident on the Versys 1000 ( and some other bikes) by only having damping adjustment on 1 fork, but preload on both

Are you sure?  they write 'spring side, left leg only'.  these are the same instructions as for V650, where it is correct as there is no spring in the right leg.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 04:36:06 AM
ok, I am pretty satisfied with the front suspension, but would prefer to make it a bit stiffer.  so I would like to follow the tip of fitting higher viscosity fork fluid.  I thought of Ohlins 10W, which has double viscosity.  Is it too much?  I do live in very hot climate and higher ambient temperature calls for thicker oil both in forks and engine.  The thing that I am not certain is how does the change of viscosity affects the left vs right fork leg?  I would assume that the left is just compression damping and left rebound damping?  What about changing the viscosity only in the left leg? 

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 07:31:50 AM
ps.  i am so silly.  I mentioned before that in my old cartridge kit the springs were progressive, unlike the OEM.  then I browsed through my old posts in this forum, and realised that before fitting the Traxxion Cartridges in my V1000, I fitted the Hypepro springs!  Hence, now I have these springs without even knowing that they are Hyperpro :)

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 06:55:04 PM
filling the forks with double viscosity Ohlins oil solved the front-diving issue.  Also it did not slow down the damping as far as I see.  in fact, i have the damping only 2 clicks out.

waggish